Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My 100th homemade model!

Go down 
+12
Roger
Advicot
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
Ana
George
widukind
Taos
spacelab
RtasVadumee
Pardofelis
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

My 100th homemade model! Empty
PostSubject: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 12:40 pm

Dear collectors,
As most of you know, I discovered a new world when I acquired my first sculpting paste, then being able to do species I like that are not represented in any brand.

Slowly I was approaching the number 100 of my homemade models. I'm a bit silly with numbers but, as I wanted that my 100th figure would be something very special: my first homemade, I also wanted that my 100th homemade is something special: a more elaborated and difficult and more splendid model. So after thinking it what could be, I've chosen the Great Argus Pheasant (Argusianus argus). Mainly because of a friend in another forum that always like my photos of figures, and that is nicknamed like the bird. But also because a displaying argus pheasant is something that I really want in my collection.

As it's something more special, this time I took photos of the making, step by step. Maybe they can be useful if somebody decides to try too.

The start is easy, like all starting things. Just a mass of paste, and a wire bended for the legs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I added the belly and "pants". As my golden pheasant resulted a bit short-legged, I don't want this happen to me again. I have to adjust later the wires to a slightly shorter lenght.

Then I added neck and toes. Toes are very important, as you know I want to avoid bases, so the figure must be in perfect equilibrium for standing over small toes. I had to remade posterior toe sometimes, initially I did it small and elevated as in the real bird, but soon I had to enlarge and lower it because of stability.

The head is something special. I wanted to make it screaming like in some photos I liked and faved in the past in internet. I wanted to do the head sculpt accurately for a screaming argus pheasant, where certain muscles are very visible while not apparent with a relaxed head.

I added a bit of "paste frass" finely fringed for the loose hairy feathers of behind the neck.

Then I start to do the tail, a more funny thing. I would have prefaired to do an undulating border in the two long tail feathers, but giving how quick dries this material it was impossible, just making the texture spents all available time for modifying shapes.

Now the tail is finished! :)

I wanted to show you the texture of the tail undercoverts, as it would be much more difficult to appreciate once painted. Uppercoverts are similar too.

Time to start the most spectacular feature of this bird, the one all you was waiting impatiently: the wings. This one have already the shape and only remain doing the texture.

Sculpt finished! Well, once I saw images in the internet and compared with my result, I found it quite unpleasant. It don't have the correct shape or position of wings. Only taxidermized argus pheasants can be like that. A real displaying argus should have more rounded, higher wings that overlaps in the top. I passed some time deciding what to do. So much work done for coming back. I planned to break the wings and put it higher, but it's a very risky operation. Finally I decided to keep it this way. It's not so shocking after all and one can be used to this. Anyway this pheasant is not making a courtship display, because then it would have the head hidden instead screaming. So I finally left as a "crazy argus pheasant in a position that will not impress any female" (CAPPWNIAF for making it shorter Razz)

From behind...

And now the most funny part: Painting!!! I started with the easiest colours, those that are simple with no patterns nor gradients.

Here with all the basic background colours done. Only remain the intrincate pattern detail!

And... here is it! The result, finished! Very Happy

Walkaround:

The detail of the head is maybe what I get best. I sculpted the muscles, the wrinkles around eyes and the ears, and remarked them in a lighter blue. This is the "good side" as the other side is more hidden by the wing due to the position of head.

And of course, for finish, my classic comparison shot, with my bunch of Bornean/Sumatran pals!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 1:04 pm

You surpassed yourself that time ! By far the most ambitious one so far.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Very good, one of your best!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Wonderful model!!

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot my friends! sunny

And this is the list of species of homemade models that I did, in chronological order, if anyone is interested:

1. Dall's porpoise (Phocoenoides dalli)
2. African pygmy goose (Nettapus auritus)
3. Rajah Brooke's birdwing (Trogonoptera brookiana)
4. Fea's viper (Azemiops feae)
5. Ornate butterflyfish (Chaetodon ornatissimus)
6. Giant freshwater stingray (Himantura polylepis)
7. Pacarana (Dinomys branickii)
8. Blue-throated macaw (Ara glaucogularis)
9. Jabiru (Jabiru mycteria)
10. Bay cat (Catopuma badia)
11. James's flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi)
12. Jentink's duiker (Cephalophus jentinki)
13. Olm (Proteus anguinus)
14. Annamite striped rabbit (Nesolagus timminsi)
15. Wilson's bird of paradise (Cicinnurus respublica)
16. European hamster (Cricetus cricetus)
17. Red goliath beetle (Goliathus goliathus)
18. Helmeted hornbill (Rhinoplax vigil)
19. Giant armadillo (Priodontes maximus)
20. Grey fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus)
21. Ashy-faced owl (Tyto glaucops)
22. Gyrfalcon (Falco rusticolus)
23. Prevost's squirrel (Callosciurus prevostii)
24. Blue-cheeked butterflyfish (Chaetodon semilarvatus)
25. Meyer's butterflyfish (Chaetodon meyeri)
26. Eyed torpedo ray (Torpedo torpedo)
27. Vulturine guineafowl (Acryllium vulturinum)
28. Marbled polecat (Vormela peregusna)
29. Four-horned antelope (Tetracerus quadricornis)
30. White-necked rockfowl (Picathartes gymnocephalus)
31. Green spoon worm (Bonellia viridis)
32. Silky anteater (Cyclopes didactylus)
33. Baler volute (Melo melo)
34. Pink-headed duck (Rhodonessa caryophyllacea)
35. Mandarin ratsnake (Elaphe mandarina)
36. Pacific blue starfish (Linckia laevigata)
37. Great bustard (Otis tarda)
38. Red-shanked douc langur (Pygathrix nemaeus)
39. Mosaic stafish (Plectaster decanus)
40. Pyramid butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)
41. Red-necked avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)
42. Zebra duiker (Cephalophus zebra)
43. Chinese paddlefish (Psephurus gladius)
44. Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis)
45. Arabian butterflyfish (Chaetodon melapterus)
46. Grandala (Grandala coelicolor)
47. Bulwer's pheasant (Lophura bulweri)
48. Numbat (Myrmecobius fasciatus)
49. Maleo (Macrocephalon maleo)
50. Yapok (Chironectes minimus)
51. Superb starling (Lamprotornis superbus)
52. Wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria)
53. Drill (Mandrillus leucophaeus)
54. Bowfin (Amia calva)
55. Red-necked goose (Branta ruficollis)
56. Ringtail (Bassariscus astutus)
57. Marbled cone (Conus marmoreus)
58. Splendid toadfish (Sanopus splendidus)
59. Flame bowerbird (Sericulus ardens)
60. Flagtail characin (Semaprochilodus insignis)
61. Eurasian goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)
62. Standard-winged nightjar (Macrodipteryx longipennis)
63. Slender sunfish (Ranzania laevis)
64. Asian green mussel (Perna viridis)
65. Red-headed partridge (Haematortyx sanguiniceps)
66. Russell's viper (Daboia russelli)
67. Clown knifefish (Chitala chitala)
68. Marbled cat (Pardofelis marmorata)
69. Congo peafowl (Afropavo congensis)
70. Agami heron (Agamia agami)
71. Saddle butterflyfish (Chaetodon ephippium)
72. Scarlet ibis (Eudocimus ruber)
73. Eastern fiddler ray (Trygonorrhina fasciata)
74. Common death's hawk moth (Acherontia atropos)
75. Epaulette shark (Hemiscyllium ocellatum)
76. Eastern coral snake (Micrurus fulvius)
77. Owston's palm civet (Chrotogale owstoni)
78. Horned guan (Oreophasis derbianus)
79. Snow pigeon (Columba leuconota)
80. Twelve-spotted skimmer (Libellula pulchella)
81. Marsupial mole (Notoryctes typhlops)
82. Common hoopoe (Upupa epops)
83. Northern screamer (Chauna chavaria)
84. Atlas moth (Attacus atlas)
85. Winghead shark (Eusphyra blochii)
86. Spanish moon moth (Actias isabellae)
87. Pink giant African silkmoth (Eudaemonia argus)
88. Dingiso (Dendrolagus mbaiso)
89. Kokako (Callaeas cinerea)
90. Regal angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus)
91. Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus)
92. Torrent duck (Merganetta armata)
93. Rhetenor blue morpho (Morpho rhetenor)
94. Red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa)
95. Sulawesi flying dragon (Draco spilonotus)
96. Whooping crane (Grus americana)
97. Golden pheasant (Chrysolophus pictus)
98. Ribbon moray (Rhinomuraena quaesita)
99. Manghsan pitviper (Protobothrops manghsanensis)
100. Great Argus pheasant (Argusianus argus)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 2:56 pm

Absolutly phantastic

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 3:41 pm

Gorgeous! I love the level of accurate detail you've got in the feather sculpting, and the paintwork really brings it to life, the tiny tiny specks all over as well as the more noticeable 'eyes'.

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 6:29 pm

Wow, this one is so amazing! Wonderful sculpting, super cool pose, incredible details, and perfect painting. Great, great work! Congratulations! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm

A very special 100th! The painting is exquisite.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Somehow I missed this one... absolutely stunning! Again the detailing and colors are expertly done and to great effect. Fantastic job!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 pm

Wow!! I couldn't believe my eyes, this is definitely your best and an amazing model! Very Happy Shocked Applause
I loved how you took photos step by step, and the wings! Shocked These were amazing, incredible- I have no words for the detail and accuracy and fantastic pose that they are in! And with the detailed colours at the end, especially on the body- al those tiny speckles! Shocked There is so much t learn from this- I have only ever done fur with dogs, but if I ever branch out to our feathered friends I'll revisit this topic because it is so useful to see! Very Happy
It's one of those models where I just want to ask the sculptor how they did it- even though I can see each step, I am just too amazed! Laughing cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 10:19 pm

If you learn to do birds Lilias, I certainly will be asking for more commissions Very Happy bounce

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 pm

Advicot wrote:
If you learn to do birds Lilias, I certainly will be asking for more commissions Very Happy bounce  
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 8:01 am

Thanks everybody! For sure if Bonnie do birds she will get better results than me - but anyway we also can talk about commisions Advicot :)

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 11:36 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Thanks everybody! For sure if Bonnie do birds she will get better results than me - but anyway we also can talk about commisions Advicot :)
Ohhh you are very kind but I could never make something as amazing as this!! Embarassed
Your 100th model is amazing in every way, so incredibly realistic and beautiful, I can't imagine being able to make such a stunning bird like you! Applause  cheers  Shocked
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 2:25 pm

After seeing your magnific aardwolf Biscuit, I have little doubts about who sculpts better, dear Lilias! :*

Maybe is a matter of that you do mammals better (especially if they are similar to dogs hehe) while I do birds better :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 2:37 pm

This model is absolutely complex and you managed it with fantastic results. cheers
It poses some important challenges in sculpting, painting but also as a whole project.
The animal is really beautiful and much nicer choice for your 100th than if it was a centipede. Laughing
The result is magnificent. Your skills improved noticiably and you only have to feel proud of your talent.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
After seeing your magnific aardwolf Biscuit, I have little doubts about who sculpts better, dear Lilias! :*

Maybe is a matter of that you do mammals better (especially if they are similar to dogs hehe) while I do birds better :)
Embarassed Embarassed I think dogs and canines are all I can really do- you most certainly can do mammals and birds best! cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyWed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 am

Impressive cheers

Perfect choice for n°100 and very nice rendition. Thank you for the making of, I love that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 4:14 am

Great job, very detailed figure. cheers cheers

lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am

ongratulations my friends Very good choice for this 100 th project.Very Happy Applause Very Happy sunny Cool I love you
I really like this model. I have been thinking about it for a few years and pushing it back while waiting for more experience.Wink
I collected many images to shape his pose and his magnificent feathers!
Your Argus is remarkable without a platform, which I really like, the painting is detailed and to see it makes me very happy!
You are a remarkable artist Pardofelis. cheers
Thank you so much for sharing bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptyThu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am

@Roger @Bonnie @Kikimalou @landrover @lucky luke thanks a lot for all your lovely and kind comments! :)

Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

JamesPanda

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am

Beautiful, Bravo!!

PostSubject: Re: My 100th homemade model!   My 100th homemade model! Empty

Back to top Go down

My 100th homemade model!
Page 1 of 1