Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My first homemade model!

Go down 
+17
spacelab
SUSANNE
Duck-Anch-Amun
Caracal
landrover
bmathison1972
signatus
Roger
Shanti
bjarki12
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
pipsxlch
lucky luke
rogerpgvg
widukind
Pardofelis
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

My first homemade model! Empty
PostSubject: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello!
With the acquisition of some figures obtained in a trade, my collection reached 96 figures.
Then I planned something. The figure number 100 must be something very special. And I think that nothing can be more special than the first homemade model made by the owner of any collection of itself.
So I'be found a new toy shop full of dreamed CollectA figures. I wanted a lot, but I bought just three. So I can mantain the order and reach 99. This happened yesterday.
Today I was ready to start my new adventure. I went in the late morning to buy a modelling paste. SuperSculpey was the one recommended by the shop owner and also recommended by forum members so I've bought it. I also bought acrylic paints (until now I repainted my models with aquarell pencils).
I decided that my first model would be the Dall's porpoise. A dreamed, wonderful and distinctive wonderful species. Easy to paint as it have only two plain colours. And I've tought that is easy to sculpt too (a smooth skin should be easier than a furry one).

First I contructed a wire skeleton. Dall's porpoise is the biggest of the porpoises and vaquita is the smallest, so I've tried to do in proportion scale to the Safari LTD vaquita.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I made a tinfoil covering for the skeleton. This way I don't waste modelling paste, and also is easier to bake.

Now it comes the most difficult part. The modelling. I went putting pieces of SuperSculpey over the tinfoil, and tried to give shape and realism. Is not an easy task. Make a smooth skin is probably more difficult than a furry skin, I think. Everywhere are noticeable the bumps and hollows. The caudal fin had a bit ugly shape. Probably I didn't should to extend the wire skeleton into the caudal fin. But well, it's done. Also is extremely difficult to avoid the fingerprints over the skin. I tried to smooth everything, but new fingerprints are added as I touched. Well, it could be worse.

I put it in the oven following the paste instructions about temperature and time of baking. During the baking, one of the flippers curved badly, but well... let it pass. Here is the model just out of the oven. I waited some minutes for colding. Still a bit hot, but I had no patience. I MUST start to paint!!!!

I've decided to start by the white belly. Because painting black over the white is, I think, more sure than painting white over the black: it reduces the possibilities of dirt blackish spots by fingers in the white part.

Then I've started with the black body...

And here, finally, the product finished!!!!!

For the eyes, I use a liquid ink pen. Then they remaint shiny over the matt black of the skin.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 am

Very nice first figure :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks dear friend :)

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 am

Well done! Interesting to see the construction process; I am surprised it had to be baked. Are you planning to make more?

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 am

Sorry but yesterday I was in modelmaker fever mood! Razz Razz I baked four more species in the evening and painted today in the morning :)

See needle for size comparison. Notice that the butterfly wings are made from a Collecta tag Very Happy

Ornate butterflyfish, Chaetodon ornatissimus. Butterflyfishes are some of my favourite fishes and this species is one of the nicest. I didn't intended that the center of gravity went to the head, but it's fine, then it looks like the fish is feeding.

Fea's viper, Azemiops feae. Maybe the most beautiful viper in the world? Safari LTD Good Luck Minis chameleon behind.

Underside, I think they have dark grey bellies so I've painted as such

Maybe my most ambitious creature. And also one I've planned to do since begin with the idea of homemade models, months before buying the materials for the real start. Rajah Brooke's birdwing, Trogonoptera brookiana. One of the few insects enough large for make it more or less to scale with my bigger animals, and the first arthropod of my collection. The body, legs an antennae are baked but of course the wings, made of plastified paper?, can't be heated. So I made the body and legs (difficult task, as they're really thin), put a tinfoil ball under for avoid deformation during baking (well, the antennae went downwards, but the body stands on its legs that is what I wanted), and once baked, I glued the wings themselves in the natural position of the species, leaving a hollow for attach after to the body, and once dry I glued the wing conjunct to the body. Naturally, while the glue is fresh one wing side went down to the surface , so I've put a thin object under so both pairs of wings are at the same level and both separated from the surface under.

Of course, the underside of the wings must be accurate (a common fail amongs butterfly figure makers are doing the underside identical to upperside)

And finally, one of the most beautiful of all the waterfowl: the African pygmy goose, Nettapus auritus. Takara Tomy crested ibis and Kaiyodo Adelie penguin behind. Slowly my mammal-dominated collection starts to have some nice birds.

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 8:04 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Well done! Interesting to see the construction process; I am surprised it had to be baked. Are you planning to make more?

We crossed replies but I think that my previous message answered your question! Razz

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am

Congratulations nice job I love in particular African pygmy goose
I did not know her before beautiful colors I saw images on the web Very Happy Applause Cool scratch study
Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 am

Congratulations on a great job! I especially like the goose, and the butterfly.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 am

Stunning models, you did a great job. Thanks for showing!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 8:39 am

Another artist in the rush: Congratulation Pardofelis Applause
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

Hahah, thanks everybody!! Smile Smile

Once started, I can't stop....! Like in the previous day, I've sculpted and baked yesterday and painted today in the early morning :)
But this time, the new batch was a disaster :'( :'(

Just out of the oven, showing the problems during baking...

1. Giant freshwater stingray, Himantura chaophraya (now Himantura polylepis I think, but I'm too used to the old and suggestive name!) I was able to got a nice surface without bumps, unlike in the porpoise. But, as seen in the photo above, during baking... some bubble-like bumps appeared in the left fin! Sad

And now a travel to South America!
2. Pacarana, Dinomys branickii. This one went almost perfect... except by the legs, that before baking are well leveled with the four feet flat touching the ground... but during baking they deformed a bit and the result is not touching the ground with the whole feet. Also the body went a bit inclined to a side... But I think that despite that it deserves to be displayed :)
I know, the muzzle don't have the best shape... but it was already baked when I noticed.

Probably the worst enemy of the pacarana is the jaguar... this giant rodent is a pretty decent meal!

3. Blue-throated macaw, Ara glaucogularis. This one was pretty decent, but... the tail was deformed during baking. I know that thin parts tend to bent downwards during baking, so I've put a tinfoil ball behind the legs and made a slope-shaped tinfoil structure for under the tail. But the latter structure was not enough straigth apparently, so the tail have a curve in the middle...

Maybe this is a relatively common ethological scene? a phoretic macaw... using a tapir as a free car Razz

And by last:
4. Jabiru (Jabiru mycteria). For this one, I'm proud of the head, bill and neck... but the body is meh and the legs are just terrible. But why are they terrible? Well, in first place, it's enormously difficult to attach small SuperSculpey strictures to a thick wire! But this is not the main reason. The reason can be seen in the first photo, with the still unpainted models. Well, in this forum and STS I've stated various times that I dislike figures with bases, and I avoid when possible. I feared that a so tall figure standing over thin vertical legs would not stay upright. But I wanted to try. I made a bracelet-shaped tinfoil structure around the figure and tried to put in the most vertical position possible for having the gravity center in the correct zone. Then I turned on the oven and waited. But in a certain moment, the bird and the tinfoil structure around fallen together over the oven plate! This deformed the legs, that went horribly inclined as seen in the first photo avobe. The only solution was to break the toes and glue them in the correct position. Well they was not completely broken, as the paste allows a very minimal possibilty of bending, so this was enough for correct the position and make the bird stand upright. I'm happy to being able to have an upring standing tall, heavy and thin-legged wading bird without base, but I would prefair that all four toes touch the ground!

And since I spent my jaguar and tapir as companions for the other South Americans, this time I use the CollectA's maned wolf, that is thinking "yes I said I like to eat birds, but not mamooth-sized birds!"

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

Beautifully made. The pacarana is especially good. It looks like the Jaguar likes a baked pacarana too Smile

bjarki12

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 am

You're off to a fantastic start! Great work all around. I really like your species selection!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 am

Very beautiful figurines and great specie choice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 8:45 am

Very good looking creatures!! Please do more! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 am

Already a big and great production Pardolfelis.

I know you will probably ùake better ones later because we all need to learn to improve, but what you made is already very good. Applause
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks everybody for the so kind words!! :* :* :*

Shanti wrote:
Please do more! Very Happy

I'm currently at it Razz maybe at a lower rythm, but I have three waiting to be baked and one more being sculpted just now Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 pm

It is incredible what you've done in such a short time. You are irretrievably addicted and that's great!
Figures are looking wonderful to me, I love that driving macaw and the strange named rodent. I feel I am watching again in this forum the start of the beautiful story of a great artist. cheers

signatus

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Wow! What a collection of figures you have made. Very good work. Congratulations! Applause

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop http://www.likaonmodels.com/
My homemade models : www.signatustudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 am

I really like that ray, bubbles or no. Beautiful! That kabiru also...
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks everybody! You're all very kind :)
I've painted my last batch yesterday, except by one figure. I will try to paint it today, if I have some free time. Then I will show your the report as always :)

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 am

And now I've painted that last figure and I'm ready to show to you :)

These was modeled on 23-24th, baken on 24th (yesterday), and all but one painted yesterday, the cat was painted today.

With my enthusiasm for start I've forgot to take the picture of the just-baked models before painting. So one of them has already began to be painted Razz

1. Olm (Proteus anguinus). A collector friend told me that he was surprised because I still didn't included any amphibian in my homemade collection. So I've done this for him hehe

It has been a hard work, because it's tiny! Attaching the legs to the body, and then the toes to the legs, it's more difficult than it seems Razz See hazelnut for size comparison:

2. Annamite striped rabbit (Nesolagus timminsi). My most favourite lagomorph since ever!

3. Jame's flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi). Without doubt the best flamingo species. Same friend of the amphibian asked me: when will you have a greater or caribbean flamingo? So I've replied: Never! I will do the James's! Of course the other species are not enough obscure for my tastes... and in my opinion, they're not so beautiful and distinctive. He was a bit deceived, as he prefair the graceful longer-necked Ph. ruber hehe

4. Bornean bay cat (Catopuma badia). It intended to be first a marbled cat, but I realized that I've made too big for that. So I've chosed a bigger cat species Very Happy

I know, I'm not the best person capturing a feline facial expression Sad This cat looks like quite surprised by the sight of something extraordinary... an ufo maybe alien

And here with assorted cats from big brands for comparison Very Happy

5. And finally, what I consider as my masterpiece!
Jentink's duiker (Cephalophus jentinki). Originally intended to be a zebra duiker, but as in the cat, I've made too big for that. I'm not good calculating sizes! So I've chosen a bigger duiker species, and this couple of species are my favourite duikers, so the choosing is easy.
This piece resulted in a challenge. After finishing the general shape, I had the idea of doing it with a foreleg lifted. My idea was baking with a tinfoil support around belly and sides that make it to be enough elevated for allow the three hooves reach the soil. Legs don't have wire inside (I prefair to not use wire when appendix are thin, as it's more difficult to sculpt around it), so the figure can't stand before baking. But making a perfectly-matching tinfoil structure was impossible! No matter how many times I reshaped it: the figure went forwards, backwards or to one side always. So I've decided to risk and bake it lying on a side! This is risky, because legs can bend during baking, and also the surface in contact with the oven plate can leave a flat marking. But it worked!!!!! The figure can stand perfectly leveled with the three hooves touching the ground (tough it have a little stability problem: the least touch is enough for make it fall sideways!). And no marks appeared in the surface in contact with the oven plate.

For that I've decided to not make a fur sculpture, because this species fur is very short, silky, like the one of an okapi. So it's more realistic if I din't sculpt the hair (and also much more easier to do hehe)

Honestly, I'm very pround of this one. The strange facial sculpture of this species, that looks like to have the skin too small for it's skull and bony ridges apear around eyes and nearby, was made with precission. The shape of the lips, the facial glands, the horns... I've realized it with enough acurateness. In the real figure is easier to see than in pictures. But well, here is it!

And here my Congo Basin faunistic collection starts to grow a little! Welcome to the family little duiker! (Schleich mandrill and Papo okapi)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Wonderful figurines again :)

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Wonderful figurines, remarkable species good work Very Happy Applause cheers sunny
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Wow the Catopuma badia is particularly nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first homemade model!   My first homemade model! Empty

Back to top Go down

My first homemade model!
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next