Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?

Go down 
+4
Roger
Pardofelis
Bonnie
RtasVadumee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? Empty
PostSubject: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi there,

As explained on my addition topic, I recently bought the young lion from Schleich, a quite “meh” model which, unlike the lying lioness, had never been my priority but I got a chance to get for a very fair price. Having already the Papo young maneless specimen, I always thought that, if I ever managed to put my hands on it, I would try to use the Schleich maned counterpart as an Asiatic lion rather than just adding one more member to the already quite populated African pride. Today, I create this topic to explain why this model is, according to me, a “not so bad” candidate to portray the Asiatic subspecies in a collection.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Some people here think that it's absurd to give so much importance to the subspecies of well-known popular animals like big cats while we don't even make the distinction between certain obscure species. However, the Asiatic lion is a quite particular case. Because it's the Asian subspecies of an animal more strongly associated to Africa than any and because it shows quite a different general look. That's why it might be interesting to have it represented in one's collection.

Basically, there are five criterias to tell it apart from the African brother :
- Smaller size
- Thinner mane
- More visible ears
- Prominent fold of skin running along the belly
- Darker, furrier end of the tail

In my opinion, the three first criterias are more than matched by Schleich's young lion. The tail is easy to fix with painting. Only the belly fold, yet the most distinguishable and objective criteria, is missing. But it still shows a “little something” older male models lack if I remember well (unfortunately I don't have them with me so I am unable to check it).

That's why I believe that, despite it may not be the absolute perfect rendition of the subspecies, this is in no way more absurd to use this young African lion as an adult Asiatic one than using a baby nile crocodile as an adult spectacled caïman for example Wink

What is your opinion ?

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 9:24 pm

A really interesting and informative post! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Actually, use a Nile crocodile as a spectacled caiman would be equivalent to use a lion as a walrus Very Happy different families on the same order!

And yes, this figure matches very nicely as the Asian morphotipe of lion. Good eyesight for detect this one! Looks like he's doing a military salute Very Happy

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 pm

It is not absurde in any way and actually an interesting suggestion.
Obviously most of these criteria match because Schleich sculpted an young lion and the skin fold, as you pointed, is really the most distinctive feature of this animal. So, no way to tell it is an Asiatic lion but obviously it can make the job in a collection as long as nobody releases one.
By the way, it is much easier to tell an Asiatic lion from an African lion tan it is to tell a North American beaver from an European beaver. A walrus from a lion is also not very hard to tell, I guess. Laughing

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2021 10:25 pm

GREAT idea !!!!
That could make this rather strange model into a wonderful rarity among animal-models Very Happy

Roger wrote:
By the way, it is much easier to tell an Asiatic lion from an African lion tan it is to tell a North American beaver from an European beaver. A walrus from a lion is also not very hard to tell, I guess. Laughing
cheers Laughing Laughing

spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:24 am

Despite the fact that I dislike this model, i think it can be used as an Asiatic lion, but still a young Asiatic Lion and not an adult. Or a young adult if you want.. Razz
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyWed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm

I'm glad you like my "repurposing" !

That's indeed a way to make a useless and quite insipid model into something more intersting.

Kosta, why do you think it cannot be used as an adult asiatic lion ? Some individuals have a really thin mane.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptyWed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm

I think this model could pass as an Asiatic type. I personally like the model as it is but an asian species not in toy form yet is always a good idea for a collector. If you could customize it a little it could benefit from a slightly more exaggerated skin fold on the belly but it makes a handsome asian lion nonetheless. Lastly, I think a modern company needs to make us at least asian lion! Pretty please?...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? EmptySun Nov 07, 2021 4:05 am

That is a nice idea. I also do this with some animals. For example i use the southlands Diprotodon as a future animal evolved from hamsters. Some of the Schleich fantasy creatures also, for example the diver dragon.

PostSubject: Re: Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?   Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternate use debate : Schleich 14374 Young Lion as an adult Asiatic lion ?
Page 1 of 1