Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...

Go down 
+2
Bonnie
Roger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... Empty
PostSubject: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyTue May 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Well, I know you all think I am a little maniac and I am not in good position to disprove you.
So let's take it for fun. Who knows, we learn something new.
Not long ago, a local shop moved from Schleich to Papo and after some backstage chating, I decided to buy the famous Papo black panther once the newer versions have spots.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Meanwhile, I noticed my figure has the number 2009 painted. After checking many models and debating with other collectors. The most plausible conclusion is that this misterious number represents the date of the production batch.
Decoding it "2009"=20/09=2020/09= September 2020.
It is a 2004 release and it makes sense my figure is from a recent production batch once the shop is stocking Papo recently and the distributor for Portugal also changed recently.
I would love to know each number can you find marked on your panthers if possible? bounce bounce

Even if only a part of my collection is with me, I have enough Papo figures to check and to contribute to this theory.
however, I received from Susanne a model that breaks all logics.
It is marked "1432" Laughing 14 makes sense once it is a 2014 release and it is probably from one of the first production batches but what about the 32 once I assumed it could represent the month? geek
Does anybody has a better explanation?

Another intringuing point is the tag. Now I can find an oval with 10M+ - I think it means more than 10 millions... of what?
More interesting is at the right end when it reads V3.2 - what's that? My leatherback sea turtle reads V2 instead. scratch

I agree, maybe it is not useful but how to know it before knowing their meaning?
I am almost sure my regular Papo leopard, not with me at the moment, is made of a denser plastic than this black panther. It was bought a long time ago. It is also known how differently painted are many Papo models.
Let's suppose these numbers correspond to certain manufacturing patterns. We can call or e-mail a shop asking if they have a certain variation just through this number instead of using complex explanations. Laughing It may be particularly useful with Papo Dinosaurs and I think we know why. Wink

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyTue May 18, 2021 10:11 pm

This is such an interesting topic, thank you so much for opening it! Very Happy
I really enjoyed looking through all your photos, it's so interesting and fun to work these things out!
I looked at a few of my Papo dogs:
-Newfoundland marked 1011
-White Scottie marked 1013
-Border Collie (Old paint variation) marked 1511
But it's certainly a mystery that one of your models is marked 1432- maybe others will also have this and with a few numbers that are different we might be able to work it out! Very Happy Maybe for this batch they changed it so that the numbers were the other way around- so that '32' actually meant '23'- November? I'm not sure what the other markings on the label mean- maybe a reference to the type of plastic used? scratch Or maybe the 10M+ means suitable for babies 10 months old and above? study
It would definitely be so useful if this would help to identify different variations! I know for a fact that there are differences in how the older and newer Papo Border Collies and German Shepherds are painted, and so maybe once I have these I'll be able to compare and see how they are different! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyWed May 19, 2021 9:11 am

Black Panther
1907 (July 2019?), material: Soft, spots: Obvious
10M+ , V3.2

Most of the others models I've checked in a hurry (pheasant, lemur, tamarin, mole) have V8.2 instead, while the chamois has just V8.

scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyWed May 19, 2021 11:27 am

Thanks Bonnie and Kostas. It would be great to know a non spotted black panther. I might have a few tags but the albatross' tag shows V8.2 Laughing
... and yes Bonnnie, you're getting the idea. Also, I suspect you are correct about the 10M+ meaning.
At least tags with it do not show the 0-3 years old logo.
Here a tag with the 0-3 years symbol that does not show the 10M+.

Your Scottie number also breaks my theory and my Papo Arctic hare also have a weird number.

Here some more numbers from my figures:
0810 Koala
1110 Marmot
1511 Kangaroo
1612 Mandarin duck
1705 Fennec fox
1721 Sea elephant - Made in Portugal
1949 Arctic hare - Made in Portugal
2005 Cormorant
2008 Megaloceros

Also, Susanne's leatherback sea turtle is marked with a different number than my model.

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyWed May 19, 2021 6:29 pm

This weekend I'll also dig out some of my Papo and report back with these bizarre numbering systems. Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyWed May 19, 2021 6:34 pm

On my spotted black panther is carved: 2003 and painted in white: 1606 :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyThu May 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks all for checking. I think the first mistery [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] solved. I called a Portuguese toy company and they confirmed the 10M+ means suitable for  children 10 months and above. As the 0-3 years logo is absent, I think we are done about it. It may also explain why my Papo panther is so soft. When my non black version is back to me, I will compare their weight, I am sure the older models are not as soft as the newer ones. My black panther weights 51g. Surely the tail was their main concern.
About the V thing. I've found already V2, V3.2, V8, V8.1 and V8.2. I can't find any logics to it.
Curious, V8.1 is in my jackal and bat, I'd say both are too scary for babies. Laughing
Now the painted numbers mistery remains. I've found a few bellies on E-bay, credits of these bellies go to their photographers.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptyThu May 20, 2021 9:20 pm

This is so interesting, and it's even more intriguing to see these photos- I really hope that we can solve the mystery of the numbers! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptySun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Finally got a chance to check mine and... no number on the melanistic. But my spotted does.
I have had these for so long I can't for certain when I bought them, but I know I have had the black leopard roughly from when it released and got the spotted within a few years after that.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... EmptySun May 23, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks Paige, two more pieces to the puzzle and I continue puzzled. Laughing
Though, a few things are taking shape. Only my koala and Bonnie's white terrier do not follow the rule of the first two numbers representing the supposed manufacturing year. But in these two, very old models, if we use the two last numbers, it also works.
It is much more difficult to understand these last two numbers once we're finding now that there are many higher than 12. scratch

PostSubject: Re: How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...   How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings... Empty

Back to top Go down

How many Papo panthers are there? Decoding numbers and markings...
Page 1 of 1