Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around

Go down 
+9
Burgerenby
NandO
Roger
George
Saarlooswolfhound
Martin P.
widukind
bmathison1972
Ana
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Empty
PostSubject: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 7:32 am

Hi everyone Smile
This month I've got a package from Mojofun and among other newcomers I've got this model - the snow leopard (Panthera uncia) that is new for the 2021 line.
As I understood it's not yet widely available, so there are not many photos of this model, other than the catalog pictures. So here is a small walk-around of this model.

For the TAW admins, feel free to use any picture you may need for TAW if this model is still missing Smile

Scale: the model is 16cm long and 6cm high (at the hips, the highest point in this pose).
The figure is made of hard plastic, not rubbery at all.

Time for the pictures!
Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4525

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4523

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4524

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4528

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4527

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4529

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Img_4526

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:01 am

I try to be optimistic about figures, but I don't know, I just don't like this one. Something is just 'off' about it's overall look. I think it's the face and paint job. I do like the dynamic stalking pose, however.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:14 am

Nice pictures Anna

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Martin P.

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:46 am

Thank you for the pictures! Could I ask you for some comparison photos with snow leopards by other brands (Papo, Safari, CollectA, Schleich)? Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 am

I rather like this model, and won't look a gift snow leopard in the mouth. Wink For me the pose is reminiscent of the Bullyland mother, and a tad awkward looking. I think the eyes could be a little bit larger and it would look spot on for the species. But, I really do think it is a good figure overall.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:49 am

I'd love to see this figure repainted; I wonder if that's all it needs
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 am

I think you're right there, the sculpt is lovely, it's just the colour which is off.
It seems to be based on this photo, flicking between model and real life the difference in colour is quite striking - they've done a decent job of translating the pattern into a stencil format, but the base colour is just too white

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 11:21 am

George, I agree. I think the lighter gray color of the last few snow leopards better fits the "ideal" than reality... Most of them appear to have more brown and tan and yellow shading. The gray is still within the realm of variation, but most photos of this species they are not this color.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 11:40 am

I like the figure and I think the proportions are far better than the popular Papo model.
I agree with Paige, while almost every brand try to make eyes larger than they should be, Mojö made them slightly small, it is rare actually. The big problem of this model is what George already mentioned. The base color is too light and boring. For example, the tail is not exaggerated as it is with Papo but with so little markings, it looks thinner than it is. For face, I think a little lacrimal touch and a dirtier nose and under eyes areas would make a lot of difference and for body a darker and not uniform color as the picture George linked that I also think it was the one Mojo used as reference.
I hope to see our talented members repainting it and I am sure the opinion about this model will change drastically.
At least we can always have hope with Mojö Fun because they use to improve the painting on latter production runs.
Considering the measurements you provided, it is a large figure for the taste of the majority of the members here.
thanks for opening this topic. This kind of walk arounds used to be a landmark of STS. I will use your picture with the Lego block on TAW and put a link to this topic. cheers

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 2:07 pm

Love it.. congrats Ana.. somehow I can see amur leopard on it..
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 6:11 pm

The fur looks so nice on it.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Thank you all for your comments! I hope you find those pictures useful in case you were considering getting this figure Very Happy
Roger, I'm glad you used this picture on TAI, that's great! Very Happy

widukind wrote:
Nice pictures Anna

Thank you, Andreas! Smile

Martin P. wrote:
Thank you for the pictures! Could I ask you for some comparison photos with snow leopards by other brands (Papo, Safari, CollectA, Schleich)? Many thanks!

I'm sorry but I don't have any other snow leopard in my collection. Maybe I will get the Papo version one day. Any other figure I could use for comparison so that it's useful for you?

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I rather like this model, and won't look a gift snow leopard in the mouth. Wink For me the pose is reminiscent of the Bullyland mother, and a tad awkward looking. I think the eyes could be a little bit larger and it would look spot on for the species. But, I really do think it is a good figure overall.

I agree! Very Happy

George wrote:
I think you're right there, the sculpt is lovely, it's just the colour which is off.
It seems to be based on this photo, flicking between model and real life the difference in colour is quite striking - they've done a decent job of translating the pattern into a stencil format, but the base colour is just too white

I agree it would really benefit from nice custom paintwork! Maybe we'll see a repaint one day?  Very Happy  

Burgerenby wrote:
The fur looks so nice on it.

Yes, the texture is super nice sunny

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Beautiful Snow Leopard, thank you so much for the photos! cheers
The pose is definitely the highlight, a real hunting crouch, you can almost imagine that tail twitching back and forth as it slowing creeps forward! Very Happy I agree with what others have said in that the sculpt is very good, just the way it is painted that perhaps lets it down. I think mostly it's the off-white, and I'm sure it would make a huge difference to the model to have some creams and greys added in! I will definitely look forward to some STS repaints! bounce I love the way they have sculpted the fur on the chest though, it looks so realistic in the third photo and falls really naturally and captures that thick fluffy texture very well! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm

Thank you Ana for these beautiful and useful pictures! As already writen, the sculpting is rather good (in spite of the too long muzzle and too thin tail) but the painting must be meliorated! cheers cheers

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Ana wrote:
I agree it would really benefit from nice custom paintwork! Maybe we'll see a repaint one day?  Very Happy  

You know, I'm tempted, and I've never painted a big cat before. I don't even OWN any big cats, I don't collect them! But the potential in this one is really standing out, since I found that reference picture I can't help thinking how I'd have matched it differently Laughing

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 2:12 am

Thanks, I'm really glad you like the pictures and they could be helpful Smile

George wrote:
Ana wrote:

You know, I'm tempted, and I've never painted a big cat before. I don't even OWN any big cats, I don't collect them! But the potential in this one is really standing out, since I found that reference picture I can't help thinking how I'd have matched it differently Laughing

Oh, wow, that would be wonderful if you do that! And I think it's fun to paint a different kind of animal for a change Very Happy Wink

Back to top Go down
Martin P.

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 4:40 am

@Martin P. wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't have any other snow leopard in my collection. Maybe I will get the Papo version one day. Any other figure I could use for comparison so that it's useful for you?

Thanks for your willingness. If it don't bother you too much, I'd be grateful for a comparison photo with some of Schleich big cats. Based on the dimensions given, the Mojö snow leopard seems to be larger than those from other brands, but I'd like to get an idea by comparing it to some of the figures I have. Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 4:52 am

Ana wrote:
Oh, wow, that would be wonderful if you do that! And I think it's fun to paint a different kind of animal for a change Very Happy Wink

Yeah, I would enjoy a change, and fully admit the reason I've done so many horse custom repaints isn't lack of interest or appreciation for the other species - the only reasons I don't collect figures of all different animals are space and cost : I decided that to limit how much of my budget and my house is taken over by my collection, I'd concentrate on equines. But it wouldn't be too expensive or expansive if I set a 'buying for repaints only' rule, and let myself dabble in other areas for artistic/creative reasons, rather than letting a whole extra 'must collect it all' original-finish addiction take hold, hahah.

Unfortunately, the snow leopard isn't available yet (there's only one place I buy Mojo models, direct from the company on UK ebay), so there could be quite a wait before I get to develop a technique for fluffy fur and spots.

It would be a good project for next year's STS Model Painting Month!

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 am

@George I think that would be a super nice project for the next year STS painting month Very Happy

Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptyFri Jul 23, 2021 2:44 am

Wonderful I love you

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 7:44 am

Very interesting model. Do you know, when Mojo will start to sell their newcomers?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am

Megaptera wrote:
Very interesting model. Do you know, when Mojo will start to sell their newcomers?

MiniZoo already have them so I think it won't take long to arrive on European shops
https://www.minizoo.com.au/mojo/mojo-2021/

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around   Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around Empty

Back to top Go down

Mojo 2021 - snow leopard walk around
Page 1 of 1