Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison

Go down 
+10
NandO
smilodoncalifornicus
pipsxlch
Michelle
Bonnie
Roger
Ana
spacelab
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Empty
PostSubject: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 2:40 am

Today I received 2 Mojo 2021 figures in the mail, the snow leopard and smilodon! Here are some comparison pictures of them along with my thoughts about them. Hope this helps anyone curious about sizes!

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9810

Snow Leopard:

With the CollectA & Papo snow leopard:
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9812

Above view: From left to right: CollectA, Mojo, Safari, Schleich, Papo
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9813

Front view: CollectA, Mojo, Safari, Schleich, Papo
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9811

Side by side with Safari's Vanishing Wild female:
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9814

With the CollectA cubs:
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9815

And finally, with the BEAUTYofBEASTS snow leopard.
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9816

For Mojo's figure I was a bit disappointed with the size, as it is much larger than my other figures. It is exactly the same size as the Vanishing Wild snow leopard (I would assume the same size as the male as well but I don't have that figure). The paint job isn't the best in my opinion but I do really love the pose. I'm sure some talented people on the wiki could do amazing repaints of this figure. I do however place this figure at about my 4th favorite. The BEAUTYofBEASTS snow leopard easily takes #1 for me but in regards to the major brands I still like Papo's the most, even if I do have some issues with it. The CollectA cubs I absolutely adore, just not a fan of the sculpt and paint on the adult, or its downward face. That being said this is still a wonderful model, I am just not sure why it is so large. I don't have too many mojo figures but all of mine seem to be in scale with other brands. Maybe they are increasing sizes like CollectA  scratch

Next up is the Smilodon:

Left to right: Safari, CollectA, Mojo, Safari
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9818

CollectA & Mojo side by side
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9817

Front view of Safari, Mojo, & CollectA
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9819

Above view:
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9820

I was pleasantly surprised with this model. I love the sculpt and I think they did a great job on the face and fangs. I admit I don't know a whole lot about smilodons or their anatomy, but I think this sculpt looks pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of spots on smilodons, I like plain/ stripes better, but I think this model looks quite good with them. In terms of size, I'm again not a huge fan, although smilodon figures tend to size rather large from what I've seen. I don't have the Papo ones yet but I'm pretty sure they are around the same size as the CollectA and now this Mojo one. I will be purchasing those when they release their young smilodon which I'm SUPER excited for. I am also very interested in purchasing Rebor's soon to release smilodon with an interchangeable head  Laughing Safari's smilodons are by far my favorite out of the bunch though. I just love their paint jobs and size. Regardless of scientific accuracy I think they are wonderfully sculpted and painted models, and I can't wait to get an older sibling for my cub!

Animal Ark Website

Last edited by Joliezac on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 am

Huge figures

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:46 am

Lovely models! The snow leopard is still a strange posture for my taste but I will be getting it anyway as it's face is quite nice. The smilodon is must have for me! Thanks for the comparisons.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 7:24 am

Joliezac wrote:

Above view: From left to right: CollectA, Mojo, Safari, Schleich, Papo
2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-9813

This photo is great to compare these cats without any photo-illusion. I hope this gigantism won't spread to all the new Mojo models.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Thanks so much for sending the comparison photos! I don't have any of those other snow leopards so I couldn't take such photos for the walkaround topic. They can be very useful! Very Happy
The smilodon is looking very nice too Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 2:35 pm

Really useful topic even if the news are not the best.
I don't care too much about sizes but there is a limit and this snow leopard can't hardly be considered a standard sized figure. It is the same size of Safari's Vanishing Wild that is considered a jumbo sized model. I like the figure, of course but I won't put it in my wish list. There's a huge lack of coerency among Mojö Fun models sizes. Mostly with their newer releases. I believe it depends now of the sculptor. I remember Anna's wildlife sculpts being smaller than what was expectedfor Mojo, , except the gaur, because Anna works with smaller scales.
It is sad if the new elephant is not larger than usual when the snow leopard is so big.
I like the Smilodon but smilodons are not in my priorities these days.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Really useful comparisons! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Michelle

Michelle

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 pm

All of my big cats are Schleich size (most of them are Schleich), so this snow leopard is way, way too huge. Unfortunately. Sad I'll finally be getting a smilodon, though. This one looks fantastic. Thanks for the comparisons!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 2:55 am

Roger wrote:
I don't care too much about sizes but there is a limit and this snow leopard can't hardly be considered a standard sized figure. It is the same size of Safari's Vanishing Wild that is considered a jumbo sized model. I like the figure, of course but I won't put it in my wish list. There's a huge lack of coerency among Mojö Fun models sizes. Mostly with their newer releases. I believe it depends now of the sculptor. I remember Anna's wildlife sculpts being smaller than what was expectedfor Mojo, , except the gaur, because Anna works with smaller scales.
It is sad if the new elephant is not larger than usual when the snow leopard is so big.

Ok thanks for the info! I only have a handful a mojo figures with most of them being small mammals or birds, so I wasn't sure if their scale was consistent or not. I'm only able to find Mojo online and since I always liked CollectA and Papo much more, it was never a big priority brand for me to buy. Safari and Schleich of course are most popular by me and I am able to purchase them at a local store. I would like to start buying more Mojo for sure though Laughing I really need to get the gaur sculpted by Anna.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 3:39 am

Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, Jolie? They do carry some Mojos.

Quite a nice Smilodon, though I'm unsure of the snow leopard. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 3:51 am

pipsxlch wrote:
Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, Jolie? They do carry some Mojos.

Quite a nice Smilodon, though I'm unsure of the snow leopard. Thanks!

I didn't know Hobby Lobby carried Mojo, interesting! Unfortunely the closest one to me is about an hour away. But if I'm ever in that area I can certainly check it out Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Joliezac wrote:
Roger wrote:

Ok thanks for the info! I only have a handful a mojo figures with most of them being small mammals or birds, so I wasn't sure if their scale was consistent or not. I'm only able to find Mojo online and since I always liked CollectA and Papo much more, it was never a big priority brand for me to buy. Safari and Schleich of course are most popular by me and I am able to purchase them at a local store. I would like to start buying more Mojo for sure though Laughing I really need to get the gaur sculpted by Anna.

I surely don't want to discourage you from acquiring Mojö. Most part of them are compatible with other brands. I am just unahppy about the excessive size of this model because I really liked it. First generation of Mojo models match exactly the sizes of CollectA models. Each brand gets their way, their strategy, their partnership and it influences the way their range evolves.
I really hope you can get the gaur, it is a magnificent model. The sculpting is more like made for a resin figure instead of a toy, you can feel it through the fine texture. It is large but correctly large because gaurs are huge animals. I also have big hopes to other new releases, let's hope their sizes are not completely out of the range. Laughing

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 am

I have purchased this new Mojo Smilodon, as I collect Smilodonts.    It’s a descent figure in some ways, but I think it’s front legs should be much much shorter and a lot heavier.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:28 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
NandO

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 am

Love the pose but it's too big for me.. 😁
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 pm

Thank you for these useful pictures Jolie!.. I was not fan of the snow leopard and at this size, I prefer the safari's vanishing wild I already have.

I like the Smilodon whose sculpting looks great. Its painting looks schematical but painting is easy to change! :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Thank you for the topic Joliezac.
I’m definitely not a fan of the snow leopard. It’s not a matter of size or pose but the head and the neck are wrong in proportion and shape. For me it looks like feline of course but not a snow leopard.
On the other hand, the smilodon is a very good surprise. I disliked the former one, too bodybuilded for me, but this newcomer looks far more natural, heavy, strong but no drugs ! 😂
The painting is a bit so so, I have no problems with spotted wild cats, but the spots are a bit too « industrial » for me. Nevertheless it is a very tempting kitty and, who knows, maybe I will find a place for him near my CollectA 😊
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for the comparison photos,very helpful!The Snow leopard will be off my list-too big and I'm not crazy about the markings and face.The Smilodon is quite a nice figure.

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySun Oct 03, 2021 4:50 am

Just got the Papo smilodon so here is an updated picture with Mojo's and CollectA's if anyone is interested:

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Img-0313

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySun Oct 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Thank you Jolie for this very useful picture which shows well by comparison,  what doesn't work with the CollectA one: too short neck and too little face with rodent muzzle! cheers
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptySun Oct 10, 2021 3:27 am

Caracal wrote:
Thank you Jolie for this very useful picture which shows well by comparison,  what doesn't work with the CollectA one: too short neck and too little face with rodent muzzle! cheers

I agree Caracal.  The CollectA Smilodon has numerous problems.  It’s neck is way to short.  It’s face does not look like a cat’s face at all.  It looks like a rodent’s face and muzzle.  It’s shoulders and forearms are not bulky enough either.  I have never liked this CollectA Smilodon.  I don’t find it scientifically accurate at all.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison EmptyMon Nov 22, 2021 12:45 am

Oh yes, its forearms are to weak! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison   2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison Empty

Back to top Go down

2021 Mojo Fun Snow Leopard & Smilodon Comparisons -Updated Smilodon Comparison
Page 1 of 1