Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!

Go down 
+19
rogerpgvg
SUSANNE
Roger
Jill
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
costicuba
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
Saarlooswolfhound
landrover
George
Bonnie
widukind
spacelab
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Kostas and George, I enjoy promoting this kind of debat. I don't dislike the Safari painting but I really would love to see it with a more natural coloring. It has a generous tail and the head/neck seems in good proportion with the legs.
Though, I see a more realistic approach on Papo's model but it is not the same excitment. I'd suggest Papo to those who only need one anteater figure, it is also a better size to the majority of the collectors.
It is also wonderful to see Susanne here with the word chocolate that is mandatory. Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], there are several videos with dogs barking against anteaters, especially the lesser anteater but I surely don't like those videos. It is dangerous for both animals. Since Golden Retrievers are more or less like Labradors, I'd say nothing dangerous could happen but since the anteater is carrying a baby, it could be really dangerous to the dog.
They're both showing their tongues, I'd say they want to be friends. By the way, giant anteaters have a very strong sense of smell, better than some dog breeds.

Last edited by Roger on Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 6:28 pm

I love this model so much also. The baby on the back and the tongue hanging out makes it my favorite anteater. I'm still trying to find the Papo one to go with it, that model is beautiful too!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 6:28 pm

Roger wrote:

Here a comparison between two strong candidats for the best giant anteater figure.They are completely different, more than what two real giant anteaters could be.
Papo and Safari. Former for those who prefer 1:15 scale and latter for those who prefer 1:12 scale.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I agree. I have the Safari one, but you can't go wrong either way!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 8:36 pm

The Safari looks great! I always find it hard to tell if I can't see it in 3D, but the body proportions look slightly better to me than the Papos, and it has a tongue and baby as extras. Great to see the 1:12 scale comparison with other species!

Oh, and the Pfeiffer is pretty amazing too. Could this be the first toy anteater ever made?

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2021 9:44 pm

Thank you for these useful comparison pictures Rogério! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 1:02 am

The safri model with baby and tongue out is a jewel.

sunny sunny sunny

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 1:44 am

I must admit, this is probably my favorite of the ones I own. Superb photos!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 9:47 am

Roger wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], there are several videos with dogs barking against anteaters, especially the lesser anteater but I surely don't like those videos. It is dangerous for both animals. Since Golden Retrievers are more or less like Labradors, I'd say nothing dangerous could happen but since the anteater is carrying a baby, it could be really dangerous to the dog.
They're both showing their tongues, I'd say they want to be friends. By the way, giant anteaters have a very strong sense of smell, better than some dog breeds.
Yes, definitely, those videos shouldn't have been allowed to be taken because as you say, it is very dangerous, especially if both species felt threatened by each other. But luckily for us models can be friends, and as you say I think the tongue out is probably a good sign from the goldie, lots of dogs pant when they're relaxed! tongue Wow, yes I can imagine with that long nose they would have a good sense of smell! study
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 10:56 am

SCHLEICH released 4 giant anteater figures, a mini in 1965 that I don't have, the 1979 Classic model, the popular 14313  in 2003  and finaly the current model 14844  this year (2021).
Since the new model bears special importance, I will present it tomorrow.
Today is time for the oldies. Not much to talk about the Classic, I got it from Yvette, just a simple figure and obviously not very realistic.
However, the 2003 model, represents an era that was decisive to a huge reputation Schleich gained over the years. Figure was only available for 4 years so not so easy to find.
The design isn't anymore what we expect from a major brand but it is still a very decent model and it has that special charm that turned Schleich figures so attractive. A kind of compromise between realistic and cute.
For example, this figure has an obvious head, a face designed to look at you that results from a clever positioning of the eyes and a nose that looks almost like a cartoon long-nosed dog. Finish quality is very good although my two variations are used models.
One of them was a gift from @Suebedo, my first anteater figure and when I was just starting and seeing how expensive those figures were online assuming I'd never pay that amount for it.Thus, it was at the time a unexpected gift.

Model is 11 cm long, it works for 1:15 scale just like the Papo model despite the obvious differences.
Papo and Schleich old anteater

Benjamin, I haven't forgot your request and here an illusive picture showing the two previously mentioned with the Mojö tamandua.
Mojo is in a larger scale but represents a smaller species so it works perfectly for an illusive scale. Laughing

Here a comparison picture with other South American animals that can be used for 1:15 scale:
Schleich jaguar, Papo puma, CollectA maned wolf, Eikoh tamandua and CollectA cappybara.

Tomorrow the new giant anteater. Very Happy

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments about the beautiful Safari model, tomorrow I will share comparisons with the new Schleich.

rogerpgvg wrote:
The Safari looks great! I always find it hard to tell if I can't see it in 3D, but the body proportions look slightly better to me than the Papos, and it has a tongue and baby as extras. Great to see the 1:12 scale comparison with other species!

Oh, and the Pfeiffer is pretty amazing too. Could this be the first toy anteater ever made?

Anteaters were common among vintage brands, Elastolin released one in 1920 and it is said that most of the central European brands used Elastolin as reference. That's a subject I like but it gives a lot of work, to find who made it first. For now K&M for tamandua and Elastolin for giant anteater.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 9:41 pm

I like the Schleich, especially how they have made the tail. And another great cross-species comparison. Just waiting for comparisons with your 1:15 scale whales Very Happy.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 11:02 am

SCHLEICH released in 2021, current year, a giant anteater, 2nd generation.Product number is 14844 , An interesting commercial decision from the company because there was no giant anteater available among major brands.

One of the first things we notice is how it breaks drastically with the previous generation, design is completely different and it is much larger.

Actually, it is roughly the same size of the Safari Ltd anteater with baby, considered huge by many collectors.
Thus, the best classic scale for this model is equally 1:12.

Comparing proportions with Safari is interesting to their similar sizes.
I'd call Schleich model as an elephanteater. Yes, it has some elephantic proportions, Head is larger than Safari's, neck is longer but much thinner, I don't know if it was to turn the head more noticiable. Ears are also larger and paws and Tail are two times more massive.

Here an avoidable comparison with the Papo model. How can two toy makers of of realistic animal figures sculpt such different replicas of the same species.

A comparison with other South American animal figures at 1:12 scale. Important to notice that the squirrel monkey is made at a much larger scale but I wanted to include it. Roger, I don't have a whale at 1:15 scale but I will try to find one for 1:12 scale. Laughing

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 11:14 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 1:15 pm

This doesn't seem to be an improvement on the previous model. Forward pointing front feet, and although this is quite subjective, the previous version seems more elegant. No worries, whales in 1:32 scale are fine too. I am just a little jealous that you can find species in 1:15 or 1:12 scale that I can't find in 1:32 scale.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Topic is not finished but since all my major brand anteaters are presented, I opened a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerpgvg wrote:
This doesn't seem to be an improvement on the previous model. Forward pointing front feet, and although this is quite subjective, the previous version seems more elegant. No worries, whales in 1:32 scale are fine too. I am just a little jealous that you can find species in 1:15 or 1:12 scale that I can't find in 1:32 scale.

Laughing With such a range of sizes among animals, from blue whales to tiny mammals and not talking about other species, it is impossible to find a scale that covers all of them.  1:15 scale is good for sizes up to a moose, more than that it will result into huge figures.
I agree about the Schleich models. Schleich was particularly good designing relatively realistic models with a sensate amount of toy charm. Now, any time Schleich wants to give a special charm, it often fails. However, when they want to get it realistic, they can obtain fantastic results as they did with the pangolin.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 2:29 pm

I like the neck and tail of the first generation Schleich better, but as a whole the new one is ok, and if I was a child collecting now, I'd be perfectly happy to find that good an anteater, readily available in a toy shop!
I know it's different in other countries, and maybe even in big cities here, and my 'there's only Schleich in toy shops' might sound weird or just plain incorrect to a lot of you, but I always think of the kids round here who like animal figures, taking their pocket money into shops round towns, where there really is only Schleich. I've never seen CollectA, Papo, or Mojo, or Safari, in the seven different towns I've visited (and you just know I always go check the animally bit of any toy/model shop I find Laughing )
We're lucky, as adult collectors, we can buy online to choose from a variety of brands, track down older models, buy from companies which don't even trade in the UK. But kids discovering the delight and addiction of toy animal figures, will encounter toy shop or department store Schleich stands first, and repeatedly, for years - and for that reason I'm always glad when they produce these decent wildlife models. Cos for so many children, that'll be their childhood anteater, and they'll love it. We see flaws, and unfavourable comparisons to our favourites, but in essence they are doing a decent job of making animals. Not horses, I agree those are rubbish Laughing But their wildlife and farm stuff is fine.

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 3:48 pm

I too prefer the older Schleich, but I also admit this model was better in person than I thought it was going to be. Great photos and models again!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 4:44 pm

I feel the proportions in the newest Schleich model are 'off'

If I had to buy an anteater today, this would be my preference, in this order:
1. Safari
2. Papo
3. old Schleich
4. new Schleich
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am

STARLUX for a Sunday, the day of the Sun, the star that gives light (lux) to this planet. The French company is mostly known for its diversity and also artistic designs.
It was in 1964 when Starlux released a giant anteater, product number 1761 and this model surely is a Starlux, the narrow, long body and flamboyant pose are landmarks of the French company.

This series is theorically built in 1:32 cale but Starlux never respected the 54mm scale as Britains did and this model is relatively large.
It is close to 9 cm long, body is aproximately 6 cm and it is 3,5 cm tall.
I'd use it for a 1:32 scalebut it is clearly closer to 1:24 scale even if some measurements work better for an even larger scale.
Here a comparison picture with the Hausser model, a contemporary one.

For fun, just a comparison with another stylized model, probably 40 years younger, the PEC anteater.

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 am

this one escaped from Geometry class. A walking rectangle. (I love it)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 12:45 pm

Roger, all these anteaters must be hungry by now. Have them visit my latest blogpost: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 5:04 pm

This topic of anteaters is really fascinanting cheers cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Nice Starlux anteater

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 7:42 pm

very common and cheap on french ebay! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks Friends! i am glad you're enjoying! Very Happy
Alain, I hope some day to get the older friend from Clairet. I see one on Ebay relatively affordable but I always fear buying Clairet models. affraid

spacelab wrote:
this one escaped from Geometry class. A walking rectangle. (I love it)

Laughing Actually, even the measurements seem to follow a certain logic. Starlux is pure artistic expression.

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger, all these anteaters must be hungry by now. Have them visit my latest blogpost: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't know if the French anteater likes Japanese food but he is actually very skinny.
Here again with Mr. PEC.

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next