Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!

Go down 
+19
rogerpgvg
SUSANNE
Roger
Jill
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
costicuba
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
Saarlooswolfhound
landrover
George
Bonnie
widukind
spacelab
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm

I think it beats its competitor. I was expecting a Lineol today, but it looks different from what I expected. VEB Plaho made scaled-down versions of the Lineol composition models, but the VEB Plaho looks different from the Lineol you show here. I wonder where VEB Plaho got their design from. Do you know whether Lineol made another anteater?

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks Bonnie, Andreas, Spacelab, Paige and Roger! cheers I am glad you are enjoying this walk, maybe someday I make a similar topic with sloths but I will show one per year. Laughing Sleep

rogerpgvg wrote:
I think it beats its competitor. I was expecting a Lineol today, but it looks different from what I expected. VEB Plaho made scaled-down versions of the Lineol composition models, but the VEB Plaho looks different from the Lineol you show here. I wonder where VEB Plaho got their design from. Do you know whether Lineol made another anteater?

Anteaters love alternative culture. I think the Veb Plaho giant anteater, contrarily to most of the other Veb Plaho models, is not inspired after a Lineol design. If I am wrong, I hope someone clears it up.
There is another Lineol anteater design, very different from this one. I don't have it but I will show one that share basically a similar design. I believe the old Lineol anteater crossed the generations before IV with slight changes but that's something only experts of composition models can reply.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 11:45 am

Mojö Fun was in a very creative mode during the cooperation with the STS-Forum. Among their many unusual releases, there was this Southern tamandua released in 2013.
I had the chance of following actively in the development of this model even if my imput was minimal. The sculptor got it right almost immediately and the result is this very beautiful figure released in 2013.
This model is 106 mm, considering again the huge range of sizes of this animal, we can use it from 1:6 scale to 1:14 . I always love to choose a traditional scale and considering brands tend to use measurements of larger animals, 1:12 scale is the best for this model.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here, as promised, a comparison picture with the smaller model from Eikoh. We almost can use them as two different species. A Southern and a Northern.

Now a comparison with other South American animals. Safari capybara and maned wolf, Eikoh armadillo and Mojö Fun puma.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 1:25 pm

I admit the word 'anteater' automatically brings the giant kind to mind, so it's really good to see another species being represented in model form - to stick to the best-known animals would be easy, producing what most people would be familiar with and therefore want to buy (especially with parents buying animal toys for kids without knowing much at all about animals - they'll likely pick up the things they recognise, and most companies would pounce on that fact to maximse sales). So I love seeing a less popular species being made, not just for collectors who seek a wide range of animals, but for kids too - if they've never even seen a tamandua on tv before, now they can own one and be curious to find out more about them.
It's such a lovely model, a nice pose and although I'm no expert, looks pretty close to what I remember seeing in documentaries about them. And I like the way they've allowed the tamandua to be cute with no exaggeration - it's such a sweet-looking creature anyway and they've really captured that without going for the 'cuteness' sculpt style of later Schleich - this one doesn't need big baby eyes and a silly smile to be adorable!

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm

A must have figure

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 8:38 pm

A very good model from Mojo, I think it's a shame it was retired. Size is not bad, sure most of us would like it a bit smaller, but still it can fit in most collections.
The maned wolf will probably struggle the puma with his bare hands.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 9:00 pm

Is the Mojo still the only Tamandua by a major company? What was the first company who made a tamandua? I see that Play Visions made one in 1998, but there was also a mini K&M.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

George wrote:
I admit the word 'anteater' automatically brings the giant kind to mind, so it's really good to see another species being represented in model form - to stick to the best-known animals would be easy, producing what most people would be familiar with and therefore want to buy (especially with parents buying animal toys for kids without knowing much at all about animals - they'll likely pick up the things they recognise, and most companies would pounce on that fact to maximse sales). So I love seeing a less popular species being made, not just for collectors who seek a wide range of animals, but for kids too - if they've never even seen a tamandua on tv before, now they can own one and be curious to find out more about them.
It's such a lovely model, a nice pose and although I'm no expert, looks pretty close to what I remember seeing in documentaries about them. And I like the way they've allowed the tamandua to be cute with no exaggeration - it's such a sweet-looking creature anyway and they've really captured that without going for the 'cuteness' sculpt style of later Schleich - this one doesn't need big baby eyes and a silly smile to be adorable!

I agree with everything. Tamanduas are also known as lesser anteaters. We have still the aardvarks, not related but coloquially known as Cape anteaters or the pangolins as scaly anteaters.

spacelab wrote:
A very good model from Mojo, I think it's a shame it was retired. Size is not bad, sure most of us would like it a bit smaller, but still it can fit in most collections.
The maned wolf will probably struggle the puma with his bare hands.

Laughing affraid Now I have this creature to terrify people that think all models are too big. Who will say this puma is too large now?

rogerpgvg wrote:
Is the Mojo still the only Tamandua by a major company? What was the first company who made a tamandua? I see that Play Visions made one in 1998, but there was also a mini K&M.

First we need to determine what is a major company. Wild Republic is bigger than Mojö Fun indeed but the concept goes more to brands that have Schleich like ranges. Thus, Mojö was the first venturing into this field.
Play Visions is from 1998 and the K&M mini was available at least in 1998. Laughing I owned the Playv Isions for a while that I got a long time ago through a trade with a forum member but unfortunately, after some months, the person who traded with me regreted it and wanted the tamandua back. I returned it but since then no other PV tamandua wanted to join my collection. Fortunately, Mojo released one and a few years later Susanne gave me the Eikoh too. Let's see who will be the first maker releasing a silky tamandua.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 10:51 pm

Roger wrote:
Quote :
unfortunately, after some months, the person who traded with me regreted it and wanted the tamandua back.

Interesting way to trade!
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 10:53 pm

very nice figure Applause Applause

I would like to see this model in other bigger size.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 11:04 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Roger wrote:
Quote :
unfortunately, after some months, the person who traded with me regreted it and wanted the tamandua back.

Interesting way to trade!

Laughing I am such an idiot, It also happened with the beautiful PV sloth, I only rejected to return the 3rd model, I take some time to learn things. Sleep However, the collector still deserves all my respect but trading is a pain and when we have to turn and return, it turns into an expensive game.

landrover wrote:
very nice figure Applause Applause

I would like to see this model in other bigger size.

Yes, a beautiful animal to be introduced in Safari Incredible Creatures series. Preferably, standing in defensive posture in a similar size like the flying squirrel.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 11:28 pm

This is a beautiful model of an unusual species, I'm always really interested in Mojo's cooperation with STS! study I wonder whether they'll ever do it again in future! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 am

NAYAB has been always a controversial brand. From knock-offs to what we suppose to be their original designs, this brand is often found in discussions on forum.
It is also believed Nayab produce figures to other brands, a good example is the Wild Republic Polybags. I am skeptical about everything related with Nayab. The Realistic Animal series are known for a long time as Delprado models, I was told with official confirmation that the animal themed sets, like the wild dogs, deers, etc. are from a manufacturer called Toy-Mate, etc., etc.
Whatever they are, they will always be known as Nayab among us.It is also hard to tell how many anteaters were released. I have these two, a large and a small. There is also an Extralarge but I am not sure a mini exists.

These models were probably released during the first years of this century,here are both together, important to notice that the larger figure is hollow.
Actually, it was one of my first anteater figures, a gift from a very kind member, inactive for a long time, which username is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Large model is 12 cm long, quite compatible with major brands.
The small model is 7 cm long, the same size as some 1:32 scale vintage figures.
Here a comparison with the Hong Kong [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] model and the Hausser Elastolin 54mm  figure.
I am convinced the Hong Kong figure is more recent than the other mould presented as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], maybe from 1980's, so I'd say it is a predecessor of the Nayab small model.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 10:31 am

Nayab is definitely mysterious, their dogs always confuse me too! Very Happy
But the sculpts of these two are actually really nice, the fur on the tails looks so realistic and natural and the sculptor has done really well with their texture! cheers
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 am

At last! A blonde blue-eyed anteater! The Viking of the South! sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks Bonnie and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]! Laughing Viking of the South, hahah! Very Happy

New-Ray is a somewhat eclectic brand, in terms of diversity, types of models and markets.
We can distinguish at least 4 important phases, the old hollow Novelty models. from late 1980's; the wonderful series of animals, often with bases from 1990's, the illusive Hong Kong sets and the most recent New-Ray USA production, best known among us because of the hunting sets.
Those are not necessarily chronologically incompatible, mostly different collections for distinct markets.
The only figures of a giant anteater I know from all these extensive collections, is a 1993 model from those 1990's series with bases.
We could group the whole series on TAW and it can be seen here.
My sample is far from being in mint condition but I really love this model. The concept is similar to the Colorata, with a base and a termite mound, tongue is out but the base can't be removed.
The walking pose is very beautiful and everything is relatively correct, good fur, long claws, narrow head. The bright colors  is a landmark of these series. Laughing
Figure is 9 cm long if the base is included. Though, the animal is 77 mm long. 43 mm head + body.
From the classic scales, 1:24 seems to be the most probable. Though, using again extreme measurements, it can be forced up to 1:32 scale.

A strange comparison picture with the Hausser 54mm giant anteater. Their sizes are not so different but the New-Ray model is bulkier with a more massive tail.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 9:53 am

I love this little New Ray model, complete with tongue out and a termite mound! Very Happy And even though it's small I think they've made it really well, with plenty of detail for that scale! cheers
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am

Sculptwise, the figures from this New-Ray series are often good, but their colour puts me off. In this case, the colour isn't quite accurate either, but it's a pleasing colour combination, making it a great figure. A bit similar to the Nayabs, which also have quite a decent sculpt with an interesting but pleasing colour.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 7:07 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 8:19 pm

Contrary to the others presented until now, that are rather sleepy or bored, this is a very angry anteater. I see the mound is half broken, so I suppose it's the second attack and during the first one he got bitten more than expected. So, now he's pissed-off.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments and faithfulness [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], you are always very observant. Laughing
Tomorrow a serious one. Wink

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 10:11 am

Papo released in 2013 a giant anteater. A very clever decision once Safari and Schleich models were already retired at the time so no competitor to this formidable hunter. Now it is retired but the market is not empty anymore. Wink
This is a very realistic looking model, a favorite for many collectors and a good sized figure.
A convincing knuckling gait, a generous tail but relatively thin. Long legs and short body as it is supposed and the group neck+head+nose is probably shorter than it should be but it depends from the side we are seeing the figure, not so obvious when photographing the right side, thus, it may be an impression that results from the pose.

Colors are maybe not as contrasting as most of the real anteaters but it gives a realistic feel and also a vintage touch.

The size is exactly the same as the Nayab large model, 12 cm long, 7 cm head + body.
1:15 to 1:18 scale seems to work great for this anteater.

Not only the size is similar to the Nayab model, the knuckling hands are really posed in a similar way and that's a part that changes a lot between models. All the rest is also similar in pose and sculpt or bulkiness.
Only a note, in any way I am considering any of them a knock-off and the Nayab model is the older one.

Here a comparison figure with some friends. Schleich jaguar, Eikoh armadillo and tamandua and Papo ocelot.

Later I will compare with some major brand rivals. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am

A rare anteater

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 11:56 am

I love this one! I think it's my favourite Papo model after the lioness.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Andreas, some Papo, after their retirement, turn extremely rare and this anteater is one of those.
Kostas, That's surely a huge praise to this model! cheers

As the size subject is popular among collectors of major brand models. Here some extra pictures.
We often are worried if two figures display nicely together and it doesn't mean if they are at the same scale but if the larger is larger and the smaller is smaller regardless of the proportions.
The called illusive scale that Schleich takes in a more coerent way according to the majority of the collectors.
Though, we rarely ask if figures are at the exact same scale. We have Roger with the 1:32 scale and I hope someday to be able of building something similar with the 1:15 scale that is my ffavorite.
Since the Papo lioness was mentioned and it is a perfect 1:15 scale for a large lioness, here it is with the best anteater options at the same scale.
Papo giant anteater and Eikoh lesser anteater. Mojo lesser tamandua is better for an illusive scale but too large for 1:15, however, we will find later that it works nicely with other giant anteater models.

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   3 - Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next