Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat

Go down 
+18
rogerpgvg
pipsxlch
lucky luke
widukind
sunny
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Birdsage
Jill
Ana
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
Roger
Bonnie
spacelab
Caracal
Burgerenby
George
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:57 pm

I just discovered this subject, it's very nice! I really like your way of repainting these animals, your photos and also your explanations.
I wish this topic a long life and I hope to see lots of good things in the future. Good job !
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 1:17 am

excellent repaints George and I like reading about your stories behind them too, just wonderful :) thank you for sharing! I am sure your horses will enjoy the company of these other animals
the cormorant is such a lovely model as well, they are very pretty birds indeed
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 am

Birdsage wrote:
Nice customization! I like how you removed the mark under the wing.

This was the one thing I couldn't live with on this figure, tweaking his pose so he stood up was such an easy fix it didn't bother me, and his paintwork was easily nice enough to have kept, but the lettering, just no Laughing

Joliezac wrote:
Lovely repaint! I really loved Papo’s cormorant and you made it look even better! Beautiful pictures too, looks just like the real thing! Seeing all these beautiful repaints on this forum really make me want to start repainting myself..

I think it's a beautiful sculpt, even in the plainer factory finish the detail really does stand out. I love that they went for the iconic wings-drying pose rather than a much easier closed-wings pose, and that they let the wings be so tin and finely made - a lot of the eagle and owl models made with spread wings look far too chunky, but Papo dared thin plastic and sharp crisp edges. That's what makes him look more like an adult's model than a child's toy, I think?

And I definitely support having a go at repainting - choose a model where you like the sculpt but think the paintwork's a bit rubbish, then you're not spoiling anything you'd rather have kept as it was!

Caracal wrote:
wonderful repaint for a so realistic result, the head with eyes is stunning! drunken

Thank you very much! I love these sculpts where a little extra effort in the painting can really bring out the lifelike detail which was already there.

Bonnie wrote:
Wow, wow, wow, another stunner! cheers cheers
All those shades in the wing, and the incredible detail around the head, it's amazing! Very Happy And I loved reading about all your clever techniques to get that sheen, I love the touch of viridian! I can't believe it's your first bird, amazing! Applause I'm sure you can guess what my view would be on what to do next, but I'm very excited to see whatever you come up with! bounce

Thank you! Shocked Embarassed
I knew I wanted to get that much light and colour in the wings, this is one of those models which looks best from the back so you can see that lovely spread of feathers. Always happy to pass on little tips and tricks for painting - and it amused me that last time we talked about paint techniques, you misunderstood me and thought I was using my finger to smudge on paint, and this time I really WAS doing that Laughing

Kikimalou wrote:
I just discovered this subject, it's very nice! I really like your way of repainting these animals, your photos and also your explanations.
I wish this topic a long life and I hope to see lots of good things in the future. Good job !

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed seeing then, and reading the reasoning behind my choices. I'm sure one day it'll just be 'I painted one of these cos they're pretty' but these early ones are favourites chosen for a reason Laughing
Taking the pictures is a big part of finishing a custom piece for me, I don't count them as fully complete til they've had their photo session. And it was essential I found a set-up which worked with this new species, the tree stump I've had for a very long time but it was just perfect to display him without having to build a whole new scenic base!

sunny wrote:
excellent repaints George and I like reading about your stories behind them too, just wonderful :) thank you for sharing! I am sure your horses will enjoy the company of these other animals
the cormorant is such a lovely model as well, they are very pretty birds indeed

I should've known as soon as I joined here, I'd be leaving my 'only collect horses' rule behind Laughing I've yet to decide where I'll display my other-animals selection, they may have to live in a different room cos I really am struggling for space in my main collection (11 bookcases of horses standing side by side with a paper-thin space between them, shelves balanced across gaps or raised above bookcases so the horses reach right to the ceiling, small scales clustered on tops of cupboards and squeezed in spaces between feet of larger scales, models on the floor cos I haven't got any more shelf...)

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 11:28 am

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 2:38 pm

George wrote:

I should've known as soon as I joined here, I'd be leaving my 'only collect horses' rule behind Laughing I've yet to decide where I'll display my other-animals selection, they may have to live in a different room cos I really am struggling for space in my main collection (11 bookcases of horses standing side by side with a paper-thin space between them, shelves balanced across gaps or raised above bookcases so the horses reach right to the ceiling, small scales clustered on tops of cupboards and squeezed in spaces between feet of larger scales, models on the floor cos I haven't got any more shelf...)

sounds like they may need a 'display' barn/stables outside ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Even if you're used to repaint horses, painting wildlife models is not an obstacle for you. This cormorant is a very brave move, as you mentioned, the differences between species, seasonal changes and also while aging, turn it really difficult to get it correct. So, using a certain specimen as reference was the best decision. The figure is much better now, we are very used with that lettering but undoubtfully it looks much better without them. By the way, my model is also marked with number 2005, we have figures from the same production batch what is not a surprise once it is a recent model.
The fact that you added the typical sheen of these birds makes all the difference and the final result is spectacularly realistic. Very good photos too, it is a joy to see your presentations and read your posts.
I am really excited to see which will be your next wildlife project! bounce bounce

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 2:11 am

What a project - birds I think are just so difficult, because, of course, they have so many feathers. And to make it an iridescent bird on top of it, well, that is a very challenging art project in my mind. But you handled it handsomely, love all the color to his "black" and the distinctness of his face. Very nice getting rid of the lettering as well. It's a really nice model I wasn't familiar with, and you're right, the original paint job is not bad at all! They would look very nice sunning together. Wink Like two individuals with distinct colorations, but certainly members of the same species still.
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Roger wrote:
Even if you're used to repaint horses, painting wildlife models is not an obstacle for you. This cormorant is a very brave move, as you mentioned, the differences between species, seasonal changes and also while aging, turn it really difficult to get it correct. So, using a certain specimen as reference was the best decision. The figure is much better now, we are very used with that lettering but undoubtfully it looks much better without them. By the way, my model is also marked with number 2005, we have figures from the same production batch what is not a surprise once it is a recent model.
The fact that you added the typical sheen of these birds makes all the difference and the final result is spectacularly realistic. Very good photos too, it is a joy to see your presentations and read your posts.
I am really excited to see which will be your next wildlife project! bounce bounce

I must like a challenge! Laughing I could've gone the easy route and just done him plain black, but then he wouldn't have looked any better than the factory finish, and it would've been such a quick straightforward coat of paint - the interest was in figuring out how to make it more difficult for myself, by adding that level of colour and detail. Maybe it's because I've painted so many horses already, I subconsciously felt ready for something difficult already, rather than starting at beginner-level paintjobs for my wildlife just cos I'm new to them.

I don't mind the lettering so much when it's in an unobtrusive place, like under the belly of a standing-pose animal, or on the bottom of a paw if it's something with big enough feet! And we've seen time and time again how useful it can be for identifying models, especially obscure ones, or long after release dates when no-one remembers their details off by heart. It's only when it's right there being unsightly, unrealistic, and ruining an important or obvious part of a model that it becomes such a frustration, an aesthetic annoyance rather than a useful bit of info Laughing

Jill wrote:
What a project - birds I think are just so difficult, because, of course, they have so many feathers. And to make it an iridescent bird on top of it, well, that is a very challenging art project in my mind. But you handled it handsomely, love all the color to his "black" and the distinctness of his face. Very nice getting rid of the lettering as well. It's a really nice model I wasn't familiar with, and you're right, the original paint job is not bad at all! They would look very nice sunning together. Wink Like two individuals with distinct colorations, but certainly members of the same species still.

Yes, I really must like a challenge, when you think of all the much easier plain coloured creatures I could've chosen instead, I went for something with individual shaded and iridescent feathers Laughing
Although, it could've been worse : I also had a peacock on that list of favourite real species Laughing Perhaps it's a good thing I'm not actually that keen on any of the readily available peacock models (they're nice enough, the Papo is probably the best of the bunch, but I don't think any of them really capture the spread tails well, it's too thin and fine and full-of-gaps for sculpted plastic to recreate), so I don't have to start planning one of those even more complex paintjobs! The extra paints would be too expensive for one project, anyway - my colours cost nearly £3 a pot and I don't have any blues or greens or purples already, so I'd have to stock up from scratch, and the leftovers couldn't be used up on horses the way my 'fox' colours are coming in handy! Laughing

lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm

Very Happy Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 3:53 am

Both these models have been jumped to the next level, but that resculpting on the cormorant, and the viridian sheen! I thought you'd used interference paint, bravo on getting a 'real' paint down to a sheen!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Spectacular piece, I barely have good enough descriptive words!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2021 9:56 pm

A huge improvement, wow!
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Apologies, I'd missed the later comments!

pipsxlch wrote:
Both these models have been jumped to the next level, but that resculpting on the cormorant, and the viridian sheen! I thought you'd used interference paint, bravo on getting a 'real' paint down to a sheen!

Thank you! Interference paint is too new and technical for me, I'm very old fashioned and cheap and not up on the latest developments Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Spectacular piece, I barely have good enough descriptive words!

I'm glad you like it, this is one of those 'so glad I tried that' things where I had no idea how well it'd go but took a chance which turned out worth it!

Burgerenby wrote:
A huge improvement, wow!

I think that's why I'm being so selective in what I'm repainting for my non-equine customs, not just cos I've started with a couple of personal favourite species, but in deciding where to go next. I want to make a big difference and improve the model, rather than taking something which was really good anyway as my starting point, and ending up with one which is slightly different but not objectively better.
I've been considering the CollectA leopard or Papo tiger, cos painting spots or stripes would be a fun challenge, but they're both nice enough to just keep as they are Laughing

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm late here again but WOW! It's a great repaint indeed! Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Time to start on a new custom project. I've been tempted by whale figures for some time, and recently a combination of photos on this forum and wildlife documentaries on tv have put me in mind to add one to my collection. A repaint, a single whale to focus on, then I wouldn't end up tempted to just collect All The Whales and have it get out of hand Laughing

Ever since I was little I've thought humpbacks were the best of all whales. Not only are they the nicest shape, with their huge fins and pointed lumpy faces (there's that ugly handsomeness again!), they also come with unique and varied patterns of white, so the repaint would be extra worth the effort - rather than just going over the top of the factory colour and not making much difference, my whale would be an individual.

I researched them on Toy Animal Wiki, but couldn't decide which I liked best, with lovely examples from several brands, especially Safari and Papo. And when I browsed ebay to see which I'd be able to get hold of, the prices put me off a bit - considering it was to repaint, spending £25-30 seemed expensive - I'm not a whale collector, I should keep substantial chunks of money like that for the equine focus of my collection, right?

Well, the other day I happened to be searching ebay for an entirely different animal figure, and sitting there in the listings was a Papo humpback whale for £3. Brand new, but the poor thing had sustained an injury in transit, with one fin snapped clean off, but luckily still safe sealed inside the bag so it hadn't got lost.

How could I resist! Here was a whale who needed mending, and me needing a whale I could customise, rather than a perfect one somebody else would enjoy as it was. So I jumped at the chance, and just now, my humpback arrived...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The break is very clean, along a manufacturing join where the pieces are moulded separately then assembled, so I'll glue it but also use some filler to smooth across the joins for that fin and the other one, at the same time as dealing with the mould seams, and removing the text and logos.

I'd also like to do something about the large space across the throat; I know it was a necessary design choice to allow the jaw movement, but looks very obvious and distracting, far more than on dinosaurs as it's in a more noticeable place, and cutting into what should be a clean sweep of smooth flesh, rather than tucked under the jawline hidden among scaly creases.
I just need to decide whether to fix and fill it in an open or closed position - the line of the throat looks far better with it shut, but it's kind of cool to see the detailed sculpting inside the mouth, so I might go for an in-between option and have it just open enough to see the baleen and a glimpse of pink tongue.

Watch this space!

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Can't wait to see what you do with this! Humpbacks are my favorite as well, I know you'll be able to fix this poor whale up in no time Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 pm

what an exciting project! I usually tend towards what is unusual but regarding whales, I have no doubts and the humpback whale is the most beautiful and spectacular of all species even if it is just a famous and common one.
If you like the inside of the mouth, please don't close it, it will be a loss, I am sure you will find an intermediate option as you mentioned.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 4:09 pm

An exciting new project, I can't wait to see the final product! And congrats on branching out from equines! I think whale models are a great place to start.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 4:17 pm

Great find! This sounds like the start of a new collecting avenue for you, I am looking forward to see the result.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 2:12 am

Sounds like it will be an interesting project, can't wait to see what you decide! Humpbacks are a favorite of mine also- likely said, the ugly handsomeness. Baleens in general just seem more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Very exciting project, can't wait to see more! cheers And a perfect coincidence finding this whale! Very Happy I'm sure you'll have a whale of a time customising it! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Here is a progress report, yesterday evening I got started...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All the things I listed have been done : reattached fin, smoothed over the joins, sanded seams, filled the gap across the throat (I gave the whale a paintbrush handle to bite on so the jaw didn't keep snapping completely shut Laughing), and dealt with the moulded text and logos. That last was the hardest part, because the body is rubber the lettering wouldn't scratch and sand away like it will from a plastic figure, so I had to carve them out with a scalpel then use filler to get a level surface again.

I might have to do a little bit of sanding to my filler, some more work round the jaw hinge area, and I'm thinking adding a few barnacles would be nice and give my whale's finished paintwork a bit of extra detail and interest.

Next stage will be spending a couple of hours looking at photos of humpbacks, so I can learn the colour and shading I'll need to try for the dark parts, and get myself a lot more familiar with the variety of placements and patterns for the white markings.
I don't plan to copy the exact layout of markings from any real whale, or even a patchwork of different bits of different whales, as I know from my horses that a paintjob is always ten times more difficult if you're trying to match markings from a real horse, compared to just getting familiar with the pattern then making up something likely Laughing
So I'll just look at a lot of whales in as much detail as I can find, so I've got a rough idea on my head of how the white works, then go with the flow once the paints are actually opened Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 3:49 pm

It looks great so far! Nice work!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Animals that live underwater often get weird shades because they are photographed under unusual light conditions. Sometimes it is useful to read descriptions about them. Fortunately, humpback whales do not have complex colors. I am feeling like the animal is already gaining a new life,, at least it already can fly. I think the barnacles are what makes the Schleich model look so realistic.

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 4:09 pm

I think breaching photos will be most helpful, getting the skin out of that blue watery lighting into the sunshine!

Talking of flying, though, I've no idea how I'll give this whale a nice photoshoot when I'm all finished, since I only have fields, roads, and stableyards to choose from Laughing
Even just a way of holding it up in front of a blue bedsheet would be a puzzle to work out - hanging on strings from above, or propped from underneath, then photo editing out the evidence of support to make it 'float'? I've never painted something which can't be seen touching the ground before Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next