Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat

Go down 
+18
rogerpgvg
pipsxlch
lucky luke
widukind
sunny
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Birdsage
Jill
Ana
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
Roger
Bonnie
spacelab
Caracal
Burgerenby
George
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2021 2:15 am

Maybe a photo from a calendar and some sand underneath? Balancing on some coral or rocks or aquarium decor? Laughing Photoshopping might be best!

Love the idea of the barnacles, and funny how much the throatlatch work has already changed it.
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 11:21 am

You've chosen great models to repaint that do your painting skills justice Very Happy

And it's cool to see you are tackling such a big whale project now cheers
Regarding taking pictures: I've seen people use drinking glasses as a base for displaying or taking pictures, maybe that can be useful? Or you could maybe try hanging it from it's tail, taking the pictures sideways and turning it 90 degrees when you are editing the photo? You would have to take extra attention to the lighting when doing that I could imagine scratch Just thinking out loud here, I've haven't tried to photograph swimming figures myself. I'm curious to see what your solution will be!

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Ooh, the sideways photo trick sounds promising. Lighting wouldn't be too much of an issue as I'd want the shadier diffused light indoors (with no overhead lights on, and not too near a window) for an underwaterish look, anyway, not outdoor direct sunlight like I always use for my horses (and other, uh, land-animals Laughing )

Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 8:38 pm

This will be interesting to see finished, a shame that Papo figures seem to break so relatively often compared to other toy brands, but you did a great job with the repair and at least it was at the seam.
A good idea too, to smoothen the throat, on one side it is nice for playability but that jaw articulation really doesn't do mammal figures much of a favour, at least on most reptiles it is somewhat easy to hide, but even there you got some where it won't work too well, also a good idea to keep the mouth slightly open so the baleen hairs can still be seen.
I'm curious what your plans for the tail fluke are, since you removed the stamp, I suppose you have some cool photoshoots in mind where this will come in handy, at least that surface there is smooth, I remember how tricky it was for me to remove the stamp on the Schleich quokka without removing too much of the existing fur detail.
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 10:36 am

Wow, that Fox looks wonderful!! The OF paint of the figure isn't bad but you really hit the spot of realism in this difficult color! And nice to learn about you way to paint too! Will keep this in mind because I have a tiny unpainted fox in my storage.

The cormorant and your photos are amazing!! Wonderful work! Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 pm

The other week, I went searching though some older storage boxes for something in particular (I can't even remember what, now! Laughing ), and happened to find a few long-forgotten model horse bodies, as well as a Schleich hare I knew I had, but with no idea where I'd left it!

I remember having two at the time, one to keep and one to repaint, but of course with the lonnnnng delays in my creativity the painting got put off, and put off...it's now about fifteen years later and I've finally put a new coat of paint on my poor neglected hare!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here he is, doing a sort of before-and-after comparison, with my original finish hare standing in for his 'before' shot because I didn't think of taking one Laughing

Hares vary a little between their summer and winter coats; the sleeker, smoother coat is also a richer more chestnutty shade, where the fluffy winter coat has more contrast, with long guard hairs dark at the roots and greyish toward the tip. Because the Schleich sculpt is quite chunky in the legs compared to a real one, I decided it looked best as a winter-coated animal, and used this reference rather than any of my own photos which show the summer colour!

I'm really pleased with how he turned out, painting something with a fluffier texture made a change for me, used to horse colour where I aim to get everything as smoothly blended and brushstroke-free as possible. But as with some of my horse customs, I had a famous artwork at the back of my mind while painting : Albrecht Dürer's wonderful watercolour 'Feldhase', known in English as 'Young Hare'. And if loose individual brushstrokes are good enough for a master like him, they're good enough for me and my little plastic toy hare, too Laughing

The sculpt has got really good eyes, they're very 3d and rounded, so painting them with more detail really brings out the beady-eyed glowing look of a hare's eyes, the bright golden-hazel colour ringed with pale fur, which looks so distinctive when you see them in real life.

I've always liked this hare anyway, the expression is so serene and calm, and a more detailed paintjob just gives it more life and character.

One more shot with his 'before' counterpart Very Happy

And to finish, one of my favourite wildlife encounters - a young hare, right by my feet

I hadn't gone looking for him - on my way across a field I glanced down and there he was. I told him 'Hello, I've found you, I won't hurt you', stayed still just long enough to take one photo, then retraced my steps and took a different route to give him space, while he stayed still and silent. Half an hour later when I came back through the field, I looked at the spot, and he'd gone.

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 7:23 pm

A superb repaint! I have always liked that model, but you made even more subtle detail of the real thing come alive.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Very nicely done !
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 pm

I must be fair and I like a lot the original model. I meanSchleich used often the same formula in this era and it was quite successful. Chunky legs, relatively large heads and very good faces. It ruined a few figures like the jackal or the old puma, not they're not pretty, they're just not realistic but it worked perfectly with this model. With your perfect repaint, you were able of enhancing the most positive points of this figure, namely the wonderful face. The work with the fur is also fantastic. What a great way to tribute your encounter.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 pm

a very good repaint George, and nice eyes.

How special to come across the beautiful leveret in the grass! I have always loved hares and my business is based all around them and named after them in fact Very Happy
and funny - I act exactly the same respectful way you do too when I come across a friend on my travels - I retreat from them to give them space and privacy!
all interactions with them are on their terms and not mine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2022 12:13 am

I just recently got this Schleich model and I really loved it. You made it even better! I really love the eyes the most, it looks so lifelike and calm. I also love that photo of the real hare you found! I'm surprised it stayed still for you, I can never get anywhere near one Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2022 6:24 pm

Very good repaint on that model! You made him far more realistic! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2022 6:31 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
A superb repaint! I have always liked that model, but you made even more subtle detail of the real thing come alive.

Thanks! I think I'm always most tempted to repaint figures I like anyway, where they're fine as they are but can be made better.

thebritfarmer wrote:
Very nicely done !

Thank you!

Roger wrote:
I must be fair and I like a lot the original model. I meanSchleich used often the same formula in this era and it was quite successful. Chunky legs, relatively large heads and very good faces. It ruined a few figures like the jackal or the old puma, not they're not pretty, they're just not realistic but it worked perfectly with this model. With your perfect repaint, you were able of enhancing the most positive points of this figure, namely the wonderful face. The work with the fur is also fantastic. What a great way to tribute your encounter.

Yeah, if you can work with the chunkiness with some sort of excuse (like 'It's just winter coat fluffiness' here) it can be customised into less of a negative! I think the face is the most hare-like from all the mainstream brands, I've got the Safari running hare as well and I do like him a lot but I think this one just captures the character of the animal better.

sunny wrote:
a very good repaint George, and nice eyes.

How special to come across the beautiful leveret in the grass! I have always loved hares and my business is based all around them and named after them in fact Very Happy
and funny - I act exactly the same respectful way you do too when I come across a friend on my travels - I retreat from them to give them space and privacy!
all interactions with them are on their terms and not mine Very Happy

The eyes were really nerve-wracking to do, getting those tiny dots of colour in the right place without my hand shaking - another time to hold my breath and wedge my elbow against my hip for stability, just like dorsal stripes on dun ponies Laughing

How lovely that your business is hare-themed! My collection itself is named around hares, in a roundabout way - I use the name Harecroft Horses, with Harecroft as the name prefix for all the individual models I've bought or painted, and the three hare logo in my avatar here is also on my website, and blog. They're all over my collection hobby, even though the actual models themselves are mostly horses not hares Laughing

I once found myself being interacted with a hare very much on his terms - I was out picking up frozen solid horse poo in the middle of a winter field full of frost, that time of year when the sun's so low it hardly clears the trees and the grass has long shadows. I looked up cos something caught my eye, and the hare came across the field at a steady run, more or less a straight line. But once he got level with where I stood, he veered off and ran a perfect circle all the way around me, still steady and slow, then when he'd done the full 360 degree loop he carried on in a straight line til he reached the hedgerow and vanished. To this day I have no idea what the reason could have been, but it was a beautiful moment to experience!

Joliezac wrote:
I just recently got this Schleich model and I really loved it. You made it even better! I really love the eyes the most, it looks so lifelike and calm. I also love that photo of the real hare you found! I'm surprised it stayed still for you, I can never get anywhere near one Laughing

It's a pity they retired this one, I don't think they have a hare at all at the moment. But if they do a new one it'll probably be a smiley bunny type sculpt, I just don't trust them to do anything noble and elegant any more! Laughing

Adult hares are usually long gone before you get anywhere near them, but leverets left alone have the instinct to sit still and not be noticed. This one must have been just young enough to stick to the stillness defence, even though he looks big enough to have run!

Caracal wrote:
Very good repaint on that model! You made him far more realistic! cheers cheers drunken

Thanks! I enjoyed working on him, all my wildlife repaints have been real favourite species for me so there's extra satisfaction in creating them.

sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2022 7:57 pm

George wrote:

The eyes were really nerve-wracking to do, getting those tiny dots of colour in the right place without my hand shaking - another time to hold my breath and wedge my elbow against my hip for stability, just like dorsal stripes on dun ponies Laughing

I don't know if this may help an experienced painter like you, perhaps you already do it - but when I paint watercolours (maybe I can adapt it to model animals too), I use a ruler to lean off the paper on one side, and rest my painting arm over a length/part of it as I do detailed bits that need a steady hand. I am holding the higher up end of the ruler with my other hand thereby creating a leaning platform that is very steady.
This keeps my forearm very steady as it's resting on something that is not moving and I find I have more control over my brush. That way I am not relying on my body to support my hand (as my breathing can make my arm/hand move too much).

oh! I just googled this and it's called a mahl stick Very Happy Very Happy ha ha

What a super encounter with the hare, who must have been rather very curious about you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 7:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't work for me - I don't have a table or desk to sit at so there'd be nothing to rest it against, except the soft cushion of the sofa next to me and I think that would be too mobile to brace my hand any steadier than concentration and breath-holding Laughing

Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 9:13 pm

Beautiful work, you really caught the 'look' of a hare's eye, as you said. There is something quite wild and unsettling about them, but beautiful and elegant! I too thought of Dürer, so a great success there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 5:02 pm

Thanks! I put two colours into the eye, as well as the black pupil and a little bit of pink in the corner, I think that highlight of brighter gold helps it looks a bit more deep and 'glowing' than if it was just a flat shade of brown? I have got some metallic gold but it's very sticky and annoying to use, so I didn't want to risk messing up the face entirely!

I think the mythology and significance of the hare makes them feel a bit more special, and they're somehow just more wild than a native rabbit, which is just the outdoor version of an animal we know so well as a pet. A hare is sharp and strong and clever, where a rabbit's a bunny Laughing

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 am

Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 11:07 am

How wonderful to have discovered this model now that you are back to repainting models again! cheers I love your style, you always manage to turn any model into an animal that is so much more realistic, whilst still looking natural and not overly altered! There is an amazing range of browns in this hare's coat and I also loved reading about your encounters, frosty mornings out in nature always bring lovely surprises like that!
This is a little off topic too but I still haven't worked out how to multi-quote and see you use this quite often, so I would be so grateful if you have a moment to explain! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:11 pm

Thank you so much! I'm always really pleased to hear other people like seeing these as much as I like making them, some sculpts just cry out for a more detailed paintjob than the factory can give.

I have a lot of brown paints, I've bought every shade the company makes Laughing

For the quotes, just hit the Multi-Quote button on everyone you want to reply to as you scroll down the thread, then when you reach the very bottom hit Post Reply (off to the left, outside the blue frame) and it'll put all the quotes into a blank message for you, and you just type in between them to answer each person.

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm

Wonderful work again! This is surely one of the nicest hares Schleich ever made! Very Happy I also love the older sculpt from 1991 from them too. Do you have it also?

Beautiful paintwork, you made the fur look so soft and the eyes so lively Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2022 12:33 pm

Thank you so much George, great to finally know how to do this! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2022 9:59 pm

Beautiful repaint!!!!

George

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Ana wrote:
Wonderful work again! This is surely one of the nicest hares Schleich ever made! Very Happy I also love the older sculpt from 1991 from them too. Do you have it also?

Beautiful paintwork, you made the fur look so soft and the eyes so lively Applause

Taos wrote:
Beautiful repaint!!!!

Thanks, both of you! Sorry I missed the replies earlier Embarassed Laughing

No, I don't have the other Schleich hare, I wasn't collecting when that one came out and it hasn't come my way since. It's a lovely style, reminds me of some old illustrations of hares, though I can't think what era typically gave them that pose and expression!

Today's update is another small animal, but a tame one this time - I've painted my cat Very Happy

When I bought some Ebay horses to repaint, the seller included a little gift, this Schleich cat. With a few paint rubs and marks, he wasn't good enough to keep as he was, but ideal for turning into a portrait!

He was a tricky colour to match, nowhere near as bright orange as I thought he was - more like a pastel orange with a lot of white and cream mixed in.

Here's the real one. His name was originally Tigger, but he ends up called by nicknames - I usually go for The Ginger, sometimes shortened to Ginge, The Orange, or Pumpkin when he's curled up rounded in a ball. I don't think I've ever called him Tigger, either to his face or when calling him, he's probably forgotten he was ever named that Laughing

In the typical way of all cats, right when I wanted him he was off doing cat things elsewhere, so I had to copy his face stripes from a photo instead of from his actual face Laughing

I think it's quite a good match, considering I only got the model as an unexpected gift and didn't choose the one which most resembled him - with all the fluffy or snub-nosed or distinctive-breed cats which have been made, it was lucky I got one which worked for his average-cat looks!

And finally, both of them together. This was the only useable of many shots in which the model was mostly under his paws or being rescued on the brink of going in his mouth, he kept attacking his mini self and thought it was great fun Laughing

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2022 4:31 pm

What a nice portrait of your kitty!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat   Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Harecroft customs : Animal figures - Schleich cat
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next