Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2021 A Year in Review

Go down 
+5
George
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Joliezac
Saarlooswolfhound
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 7:07 pm

Gosh those rheas steal the show! Fantastic batch of birds, congrats!

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 8:02 pm

Second to last batch. :) 
2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 20220104-163009
The Safari Andrewsarchus was a model I wanted badly as I enjoy the non-dinosaurian prehistoric species more. Especially those less represented. An ebay purchase and a good one at that!

The mule deer was an exciting find because its a local species for me. Its not the best deer model but I like its winter form coat. Big Country Toys is the brand I think.

The AAA hawk was another addition to that perched birds set. A new species to me and nicely done in my opinion. 

The Bullyland eel was another ebay lot find. From their freshwater fish series it is hard to find, especially in the US. The eyes aren't too realistic but since its a group of animals neglected in toy form I am happy to have him.

The k&m viper was another model from Dan and one of my favorite species! Not as nicely executed as the PV but this incredible species deserves repsect anyways. 

The turkey was a recent ebay purchase after I discovered it by helping another member with a different ebay purchase. One of few females ever released she is now surrounded by toms! And another locally endemic species.

And lastly... a singular model from Safari's salmon life cycle set. As a child in elementary school living in northern Oregon only 3 or 4 hours away from the great Columbia River, the local fisheries gave my school class some salmon eggs to "rear" to learn about the species. This fry stage is the mental image I dredge up when I reminisce on that experience. Once their sack was mostly used up and they looked almost like any normal small fish we were able to take them to the fishery and tour the facility and release the babies to their program. A truly neat experience for me. So this set holds memories for me now.

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 10:17 pm

Yes, Big Country Toys, they were before Big Country Farm Toys but I see they continue expanding their range of 1/20 scale figures with new thematics.
There's a doe, white-tails, a hog, bass, they have Hunting and Fishing sets quite similar concept to the New-Ray USA ones.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 10:20 pm

I like the eel and the hawk! The latter looked like a golden eagle for me but you're right, it have clearly naked tarsi (plus thin legs) so it's a hawk of some sort. I was unaware of the existence of mule deer figurines (some hobbyists claimed againts the lack of it in the trade from time to time) and actually this one looks like good in quality. Your experiencie with salmon fries is so charming!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 10:36 pm

Roger, many of the sculpts appear to be copies of Schleich and a Safari model, but yes it seems they are doing well as a company. Exciting as we may get some other new animals in the future. I would like to get the turkeys sometime! Especially the young tom, called a jake in the US.

Thanks Pardo! On TAW it is listed a rough legged hawk but I can't confirm that ID. Mule deer are very absent in this hobby, a shame for someone who has more mule deer around me than white tails. Its a good model for sure, but a modern brand could do better if they ever decided to. And thank you about my fish experience! It was a great idea and left an impression on me. We didn't really do much with them in person, salmon fry that young don't eat as that is the purpose of that little yolk sac for some time after their birth but they were really fun to watch grow up and then go see their parents at the hatchery. It was where I also met Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery. THAT left a huge impression on me too! He is massive, old, and has survived several awful attempts to kidnap and kill him. He is a magnificent fish, the reason I love sturgeon today, and I hope to go visit his magnificence again someday. Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 11:18 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

Thanks Pardo! On TAW it is listed a rough legged hawk but I can't confirm that ID.

The hawk identification was long debated on forum, its identification as a rough-legged hawk is from @birdsage, he is good defending his convictions and it is actually great that some members like him, Pardo and a few others go deep into the identification of certain figures. The discussion can be seen here and despite thinking it is once more very optimistic, I do believe it is a Buteo of some sort. These AAA figures vary a lot their colors and these birds are quite similar.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 5:18 am

I love that andrewsarchus and neat story about the salmon! That must of been so cool Very Happy

Here are my favorite mammals! I discovered many custom models this year and since joining the forum I was able to purchase some highly anticipated figures from members Very Happy

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-0373

I absolutely love pronghorn but there aren't many on the market. I had Safari's but when I found out Mojo had one that was retired I had to get it! Thankfully a forum member was kind enough to sell me one  Very Happy I love this model so much, it is definately one of my favorite Mojo figurines!

The Safari bighorn sheep I really wanted because no other major brand made one and this is definately one of their more unique models  Very Happy Luckily one popped up on eBay and I was able to grab it for a great price.

The Papo mouflon was another figure I didn't know about until it had retired. Although its slightly larger than I would of liked, it is a gorgeous model and I was happy to have a small herd with my CollectA & Schleich one.

Because I joined the forum this year, I was able to see all the wonderful customs and models made my artists. I was very excited to add Signatus studios' male bharal to my collection! I adore this model and can't wait to get photos with him outside  I love you

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-0610  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-1955  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-8010  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-9426

Wild felines have always been one of my favorite groups, larger species especially. I really loved all the great models on the market but I really wanted something that was almost an exact replica of the real cat. After stumbling across Beauty of Beasts etsy shop, I knew I HAD to get some of her felines. Snow leopards are my favorite so that was the obvious first choice. Perhaps my favorite model of the entire year I adore this model and am so grateful she was able to paint green eyes for me  I love you

The Amur leopard was equally tempting but I held off for awhile because of the higher price. I eventually purchased this figure and it is truly stunning. Everything I could ever want in a feline figure! Definately highlights in my collection that I am willing to pay more for.

I just loved the pose of her lynx and had to get it as well! I love how large the paws are and even though the very thin ear tufts make me nervous to touch, it is a gorgeous model!

The Papo ocelot I missed out on but I was overjoyed when I found one on eBay. A really lovely model that is painted quite well and a hard to find species in the toy world.

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-1957  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-9427  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-1956  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-9933

Thanks to another wonderful forum member, I was able to get the Papo anteater! A really great model that is a very close tie with the Safari one in my opinion.

Then maybe my biggest joy for major brands, the Safari Malayan tapir  I love you I wanted this model for so long but could never find it since I didn't shop online when it retired. Sadly my local toy store never carried it. After a long time of searching I finally found one on eBay a couple of months ago. By far my favorite tapir I own, Safari has always been my favorite brand and I'm very happy to finally have (in my opinion) one of their best models.

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Img-0251  2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 65289811

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 am

Lovely selecion of rare retired models and expensive homemade models, including three that are very wished for me for so long!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 8:48 am

These posts are really heartwarming, not just seeing the beautiful models, but reading how happy they've made their new owners, and the personal stories about why each collector wanted them so much Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 12:26 pm

All those homemade figures are really beautiful but I know how it is special to find something apparently normal, like your Safari tapir or Papo ocelot, figures that after their retirement turn extremely rare and sometimes it is a big adventure to find figures that not long ago were easily available.
These two are not only rare, they're also very good representatives of their species. I don't have the CollectA Malayan tapir to compare but the Safari is my favorite and I don't think the new Schleich is better even if I only know it from catalogue pictures.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 10:54 pm

I want the AAA hawk . It is my favourite.

flower flower flower

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 1:55 am

Thanks friends!

Truly wonderful models Jolie. The Safari ram, signatus bharal, and Beaty of Beasts snow leopard are my favorites!

I will do my last(?) update tonight.

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 6:00 am

My last update! Unless I decide to add a few of my repaints...

2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 20220104-163051

Blaine so kindly sold me his spare PNSO livyatan. A rare indulgence for me... sperm whales have always been a favorite of mine and this is like one of those on steroids. What a fearsome creature it must have been! My only disappointment is the seam across the base of the head but alas, besides that it is a superb model.

The Happy Kin elephant seal is another favorite species. This is one however that I enjoy for its strange looks but their social behavior is something I find quite disturbing... amazing divers though! This rare model was given to me by Kostas so a big THANKS to you! One of the better models for one out there.

A brittany spaniel from Kelly (big THANKS!)! This model is one I had admired for some time at local farm and ranch stores but it was always only included in an expensive set. I hoped to find one thrift shopping sometime... despite its large size it is a superb sculpt for this breed (my long time veterinarian has one of them). But then the amazing Kelly found one and I probably embarrassed myself begging for it. Wink

The Safari ltd Mudpuppy was a suprise release in their toob but it VERY well done, especially at that scale. This is another animal I enjoy for its weirdness and love any salamander with external gills.

Another model snagged from Loon is the frilled shark. Again, a super favorite species of mine and currently my best representation of one to date!

The AAA blue and gold macaw was one last model I didn't know existed! Popped up on wonderful ebay and I used the excellent excuse of "I must! For TAW..." Wink The sculpt is very familiar to me as I grew up with a scarlet version of my brother's when we were kids. This one is very nice in this new outfit of colors.

And another favorite cherished model from Dan, the PV gila monster. Such bizarre lizards in real life this model has a very aesthetically pleasing pattern and shape to it. Very glad to have a buddy for my Safari!

George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 10:58 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I used the excellent excuse of "I must! For TAW..." Wink

That is the perfect excuse, I might have to remember that one Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 am

Laughing Yes, TAW is the best excuse of ever. I hope you also get the AAA Rainbow lorikeet that is still missing. Wink We need more Happy Kin like sets. Those series of polar animals were really fantastic. Most of these Hong Kong brands get easily forgoten but these Happy Kin remain sought after collectibles. Nice you got yours from Kostas, I got mine from Kosta. Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 11:50 am

Nice adds Paige, I MUST get the livyatan too Very Happy

I agree with George, "I must! For TAW..." is one of the best sortilege to spend too much money Laughing
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2021 A Year in Review   2021 A Year in Review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2021 A Year in Review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2