Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What happens to your collection when you die?

Go down 
+15
TheWholeCollection
Stripedhyena
pipsxlch
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
SUSANNE
sunny
landrover
minis
widukind
bmathison1972
Roger
Bonnie
George
Dutch Bear
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

What happens to your collection when you die? Empty
PostSubject: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 2:21 pm

Dear collector-friends I would like to address a serious topic.

Many of us spent years and years of our lives collecting and many of us have the most impressive collections.
Some are huge, some are quite exclusive and niche. Some collect only big famous brands, some find the most obscure items to treasure them.
But what when it all stops? What happens to your collection when you die?

No nothing is wrong. I am not dying. But just in case…

In my personal situation with only my mother or my aunt left, they would have to take care of my house, my belongings and – at some point – my collection. They have no interest in keeping it, nor do they have any knowledge about the content. Maybe they pack it all up, take it to a secondhand store or even throw it away. They have no experience in selling stuff online, so that is not a real option.

Okay, maybe 90% of these bears are not rare, interesting or valuable. Yet we all know we all have some figures are more special, more rare, more than … to just disappear.

Sometimes I wish there was a collection museum, that would preserve past collections as they were.

I am very interested to hear your views on this topic.
Love, Dutch Bear
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 2:56 pm

I actually had this discussion with my mum once - I've almost died twice (once in an accident, once through medical emergency), so it's perhaps been more likely to cross my mind than for people who've had safe, healthy and trauma-free lives!
My instructions to her were to contact my few closest model collecting friends - she has their numbers already from times we've met up for days out - and they could just have everything. Decide what to keep between themselves, any to pass on to other friends who might have slightly different tastes in models, and anything that no-one else needed or had room to keep was to be sold on Ebay and the profit given to a horse rescue charity.
In future, assuming I outlive my mum, my cousin or any kids he might have will be my next of kin. I'll have to write a will then, but I'd also write an explanation on paper and leave it in the room with my collection, listing several hobby friends' contact details, and emphasising that many of the models are rare and valuable and some have great historical worth to collectors, so must be given to these people to deal with, not just sent to a junk shop to clear the house!

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 3:00 pm

This is certainly an interesting, and sad topic! study I haven't really thought that far ahead, it is sad to think I will one day be parted with my collection! I suspect that I would hand my dogs down to my children, then they will give it to their children, and so on- I'm sure there are cases where collections are handed down through the generations, but it would rely on them liking dogs as much as I do! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 3:33 pm

Sandór, I hope it doesn't sound pathetic that I am glad you're not dying. Laughing
It is actually an intringuing question. I believe that most of us already confronted ourselves with the same question. Mostly those who collect for a long time because there are also some flash collectors with a huge enthusiasm for a short time and after a while end selling or lacking interest in their collections.
I need to be honest and tell you that most people that show interest in our collections, is really not interested in it, just a way to show some kindness. I had my collection stored in a family member house and many people was curious about it but, after short conversations, the fundamental question was always how much it worth.
We love so much our hobby and collections, sometimes in such a passionate way that we often do not have a correct notion how all of this is strange to the majority.
Your collection has loads of non toy models but most of mine is just about toys. Obviously I have a few figures that can be sold for a decent money but I think only real collectors know how to do it, For the rest, what's the difference between the white Schleich Frisian and the black version? Just the color. Our biggest wish was probably to find a family member that could continue our hobby but it is only possible if that person loves you a lot but also loves the hobby.
I really don't mind too much if my regular toy animals go to kids and make them happy but I really don't feel the same about my collection of foxes. It has no meaning if they are used as random toys, they represent a huge connection to many STS members and most of the figures have a wonderful story to tell. I would love someone to take care of my foxes and I honestly think they were in much better hands if they were in a collector friend hands than with a family member that really don't care about it. Especially someone that could give the same love to my hollow silly fox from Bulgaria then to any of the rare beautiful pieces. Maybe your question is, what to do before the fatality?

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 4:08 pm

I don't have a living will yet, but I plan on donating them to a local natural history museum and they can do with them as they please.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 6:25 pm

A very actually question for me. Last year was full of bad diagnosis for me. I also have Asthma since my childhood, now it is more worse after covid. But, thats life.

But i also was thinking about that. I think the best way is to create a online shop in the next month. And i will show my daughter where she can find buyers and informations.

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
minis

Country/State : france

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 7:08 pm

Children don't have the same interests as you. At best, they will put everything in boxes stored in the attic as a souvenir of you. At worst, they will sell everything on ebay or leboncoin to save space. Sometimes they will give them to grandchildren or great-grandchildren who will play with them. And in this case, the toys will become toys again!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Thank you for your replies. They put it all in some perspecttive.
I myself dont have children nor relatives that share my strange passion.
Not even close collector-friends. And from STS I only met Karin, Ana and Andreas in person.
And let's be honnest who wants a 1000-piece bear army collection. What fool has room for that.

For many of the bear figures i dont mind them becoming toys again, like the major brands, or the cheap plastic stuff and even the noumerous colour variants of the same models.
But like Roger said many are not toys at all, they never were. And soms of the vintage or antiques can never be played with without serious damage.
And unfortunately I dont know of any loal natural history museum, but it is a nice idea.

Indeed making a will is where this topic recently comes from, and indeed after a conversation with my mother regarding my art collection.
I have put together a folder with details, pictures, invoices and background information on all the works of art, paintings, photographs and objects I have.
So my heirs - either family or friends at least could check who, what, when, where, how much. And then decide what to do with.
Maybe I should also make a seperate info sheet about my bears. And include my STS login and link to this thread.

Last edited by Dutch Bear on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 2:38 am

It is a very complicated subject to analyze.
1. Young people only think about electronic toys and video games.

2. Colombia is a country where shipments are very expensive and therefore, electronic commerce is not profitable.

3. My collection takes up a lot of space and now people live in very small apartments.

4. Only I know the value of each figure and the difficulty to get it.

5. I think that when I die, my collection dies with me too. Sad Sad

sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 4:40 am

what a wonderful question!
I have thought about this too. No-one in my life or my family knows about my collection except my mum (and on here). She actually gave me her toys from her childhood, so she knows my love and curiosity of these captivating possessions well. I also collect other beautiful things too.
Making an inventory, with prices/value, provenance/history and photos, is probably essential for any collection.

Dutch Bear has already started to compile his art collection, so it makes sense to do the same for your 'toy' collection.
In the UK old and vintage toys are highly sought after by serious collectors. And many of the pieces in everyone's collection here is, I am sure, very valuable. And that's not even taking into account the value of the history of individual pieces either, and those wishlist pieces that were highly sought after, as Roger said.

A wonderful idea I had was to showcase everyone's personal collection in the same place. Kind of like the world seed bank at Svalbard. Only it would be a large modern space with individual bespoke dioramas that would house each collectors collection.
Kind of like a mini museum, with many various collections on display, each one unique in it's own way, preserved forever.
All behind glass dome dioramas to keep the dust off for a while at least, and avoid handling as much as possible.

And this way - no-one would ever have to worry about the fate of their precious loved collection. It would be together for posterity.
The only caveat being that the owner leave a written note for any pieces not to be included. And their particular fate eg legacy, or donate to animal charity fundraising or children's cause, or auction for specific recipient etc.

the only expense would be to get the collection intact to it's final resting place!
Which would be a physical place somewhere here on Earth, large enough to house hundreds of thousands of adorable toys, each one with bright shiny eyes and their belonging's in their small suitcases:)
It would be built to purpose. Maybe even in the shape of a whale or an octopus, with a roof of solar panels and self sustainable. And then depending on availability could have a rotating 'staff' of worldwide volunteers, (people like us?) who could come to stay/visit for a while as we act as temporary caretakers, and have it open to the public for limited times.
And tied in to this would be the online gallery and viewing rooms, and the history of each collection, written by the owner, or video message or podcast message, with any of their stories to each particular piece added in - like a very personal tour of a very special collection.
And a Book could be sold online (print on demand), featuring all of the various collections inside the worlds very first World Toy Animal Collective. With yearly book updates as more and more toys fill up the happiest place on earth!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 8:38 am

I  think about this now and then.
This autumn I will be 70 years old, so ...

Actually I feel sorry for my son : The shere volume of all my stuff affraid

It is a good idea to make a list of other collectors, but I am sure Kristian would not know what to send to who, and it would be a fortune in shipping scratch

But the problem may arise before that.
Can I keep looking after the farm, or will I have to move to a smaller place  ?

Well, I will think about it...tomorrow lol!

Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 12:04 pm

sunny wrote:
I have thought about this too. No-one in my life or my family knows about my collection except my mum (and on here). She actually gave me her toys from her childhood, so she knows my love and curiosity of these captivating possessions well. I also collect other beautiful things too.
Making an inventory, with prices/value, provenance/history and photos, is probably essential for any collection.

Dutch Bear has already started to compile his art collection, so it makes sense to do the same for your 'toy' collection.
In the UK old and vintage toys are highly sought after by serious collectors. And many of the pieces in everyone's collection here is, I am sure, very valuable. And that's not even taking into account the value of the history of individual pieces either, and those wishlist pieces that were highly sought after, as Roger said.

A wonderful idea I had was to showcase everyone's personal collection in the same place. Kind of like the world seed bank at Svalbard. Only it would be a large modern space with individual bespoke dioramas that would house each collectors collection.
Kind of like a mini museum, with many various collections on display, each one unique in it's own way, preserved forever.
All behind glass dome dioramas to keep the dust off for a while at least, and avoid handling as much as possible.

And this way - no-one would ever have to worry about the fate of their precious loved collection. It would be together for posterity.
The only caveat being that the owner leave a written note for any pieces not to be included. And their particular fate eg legacy, or donate to animal charity fundraising or children's cause, or auction for specific recipient etc.

the only expense would be to get the collection intact to it's final resting place!
Which would be a physical place somewhere here on Earth, large enough to house hundreds of thousands of adorable toys, each one with bright shiny eyes and their belonging's in their small suitcases:)
It would be built to purpose. Maybe even in the shape of a whale or an octopus, with a roof of solar panels and self sustainable. And then depending on availability could have a rotating 'staff' of worldwide volunteers, (people like us?) who could come to stay/visit for a while as we act as temporary caretakers, and have it open to the public for limited times.
And tied in to this would be the online gallery and viewing rooms, and the history of each collection, written by the owner, or video message or podcast message, with any of their stories to each particular piece added in - like a very personal tour of a very special collection.
And a Book could be sold online (print on demand), featuring all of the various collections inside the worlds very first World Toy Animal Collective. With yearly book updates as more and more toys fill up the happiest place on earth!
Wow, this is the most wonderful, wonderful idea! sunny cheers drunken A museum of all collections in one place, it would be the most beautiful, amazing place to live and I am sure at such a large scale people who don't collect animal figures would find it really interesting! And I do think that this is not impossible, the only drawback would be the costs I think, but I am sure that together, collectors could all cover what is needed! And having it open to the public would help bring in necessary funds, and it could even benefit an animal charity- maybe an animal charity would invest in it for the long run, and it could be a partnership with it! study Maybe a purpose-built place would be too expensive at first, but to start with any space large enough in a convenient location would work really well! cheers I think this is such a fantastic idea, a dream that maybe could become a possibility in the future! It would only take a lot of work, but would be so worth it! Laughing
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Given how close our collections are to our hearts and how much effort we have spent on building up our collections, it isn't surprising that many of us think about what happens to it after our death. 

The money I have spent on my collection is also my wife's, so when I die, she should sell my collection if she needs the money. But she doesn't have an interest in my animal collection, so she wouldn't really know how to sell it. I would also prefer that my collection goes to other serious collectors who enjoy it as much as I do. My impression from the discussion above is that most of you feel about this in a similar way.

Perhaps one solution could be that the STS Forum can be nominated as a "guardian" so if someone dies, the Forum helps relatives of the deceased to sell the collection to other Forum members. I'd be jumping up and down in my grave bounce cheers if my collection was distributed to members of the Forum.

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 7:47 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Given how close our collections are to our hearts and how much effort we have spent on building up our collections, it isn't surprising that many of us think about what happens to it after our death. 

The money I have spent on my collection is also my wife's, so when I die, she should sell my collection if she needs the money. But she doesn't have an interest in my animal collection, so she wouldn't really know how to sell it. I would also prefer that my collection goes to other serious collectors who enjoy it as much as I do. My impression from the discussion above is that most of you feel about this in a similar way.

Perhaps one solution could be that the STS Forum can be nominated as a "guardian" so if someone dies, the Forum helps relatives of the deceased to sell the collection to other Forum members. I'd be jumping up and down in my grave bounce cheers if my collection is distributed to members of the Forum.
That too is a very good idea! It would be wonderful to know that your own collection was in the hands of someone else who would love it! cheers
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 8:05 pm

sunny wrote:

This “museum” seems like the most desirable option as far as what to do with the animal collectibles of deceased persons. This would be a good way to document all of these pieces; as of yet, there is no online database for K&M, Wishpets, Leosco, or Soundprints plush toys, for example, even though many obscure species have been represented. On that note, why not include plush on ToyAnimal.info? It makes enough sense to me to do so. In any case, a museum to preserve the physical specimens would come in handy for records purposes, to ensure that the physical figures end up in some random toy box or junk drawer. This is especially critical for figures of which only one or a few specimens are known, such as the AAA Aardvark or the Fauna Figures fishes.
It’s an inconvenient truth, however, that international shipping would be an important issue to overcome. Aside from that, I can come up with a system for organizing and displaying the plush toys, toy figures, Japanese collectibles, and others that could be in the collection.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 11:01 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:

Perhaps one solution could be that the STS Forum can be nominated as a "guardian" so if someone dies, the Forum helps relatives of the deceased to sell the collection to other Forum members. I'd be jumping up and down in my grave bounce cheers if my collection was distributed to members of the Forum.

that's a very good idea Roger, about 'guardian' and would take the pressure off family members trying to deal with the added stress of moving the person's possessions at such an emotionally wearing time. And this way, true appreciators of the collection would benefit.

I would like my figures to go to someone who will love and adore them as much as I do!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 11:25 pm

Bonnie wrote:

Wow, this is the most wonderful, wonderful idea! sunny cheers drunken A museum of all collections in one place, it would be the most beautiful, amazing place to live and I am sure at such a large scale people who don't collect animal figures would find it really interesting! And I do think that this is not impossible, the only drawback would be the costs I think, but I am sure that together, collectors could all cover what is needed! And having it open to the public would help bring in necessary funds, and it could even benefit an animal charity- maybe an animal charity would invest in it for the long run, and it could be a partnership with it! study Maybe a purpose-built place would be too expensive at first, but to start with any space large enough in a convenient location would work really well! cheers I think this is such a fantastic idea, a dream that maybe could become a possibility in the future! It would only take a lot of work, but would be so worth it! Laughing

thank you Bonnie! and Birdsage!

my idea is that each personal collection would be housed in it's own little diorama/room/annex/compartment, so that the energy and intention of the original owner is still very much alive. For example on here I have seen some truly excellent dioramas and smaller displays made up, so they will be transported to the World Toy Animal Collective along with all the rest of that person's pieces, and then once inside the collective a suitably sized display area will be found just for it.
Their pieces would be displayed similar to how they had them at home as well (IF they so wished), so there would be a distinct and unique look of every collection. (no such thing as white backgrounds and clear glass shelves on a straight wall, for every collection).
Someone may like all modern display materials, someone may like all wood and vintage display materials. Some may even like a life size sculpture of their favourite animal, that is cut away and has slimline clear shelves/perspex box/display modules inside the body to house their collection). Each to their own.
And this will apply to anyone wishing their precious collection to come and live there.

However, on the other hand, - instead of sending your collection here, you could always ask your family members if anyone would like to make up a special display area of your collection in their own home Wink
you never know ? I am sure there are family who appreciate keeping family-history intact ? Very Happy

and Birdsage, if this ever did come about, and you did decide to plonk your collection down here, then your fluffy plushes would be allowed to join your plastic pieces, since they are a loved part of your own personal collection.

However, it would not be a place for fluffy toys per se.
This would primarily be for model animal toys ie - plastic type material (and latterly the metal ones too).
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 5:51 am

I've had a few near misses the past several years, and am living with a disorder that puts me at a very high stroke risk,  along with heart/lung issues. So yes, it's something I've thought of over the years.

I've already told my family I'd like my Windstone collection to be sold on to someone(s) who would appreciate the figures. My daughter said no she'd like them, but she's not into them (nor is she really the collector sort) and has lots of cats- bad news with something as fragile as Windstones! I also have a few rare and valuable pieces, a one off, one of three made etc. I really would like to see them rehomed where they'd be appreciated, and have her keep a couple of my favorite but more common pieces.

As for the 'toy' figures, no one in my family except my mother a bit even sees why I enjoy them at all. I would wish them to go to other collectors. Rogers's idea if at all possible would be perfect. Even send them to a buddy from here. With some of the goldfish especially and also a few dinosaurs, they aren't nor were they ever toys, I do hope they get sold or given to someone who'd appreciate them. As for the rest, those that are intended as toys, I'd like a collector to get them but am fine with them becoming toys again. (Some dinosaurs and dragons I got for any potential grandchildren to play with and keep them away from my Windstones!) The problem is finding charities that would sell them instead of discarding them!
Maybe my daughter will keep the parasaurolophi.

Actually, most of my figures are second hand once-were-toys and have wear, so maybe the best place for them is a school or thrift shop that actually resells their non stuffed toys.

Last edited by pipsxlch on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 9:27 am

The death of loved ones and the death of oneself, what a sad subject and at the same time the only thing we are certain about...

What a pain to think that one day you will never see again those people you love, you will never again listen to those songs that move you so much, to smell aromas that bring back memories... And, of course, to no longer touch your collection of figures...

I hope that the day will come when I won't feel any attachment to my collection and to everything material in general (the problem is that the objects I love are linked to sensations and emotional memories), so that I won't be distressed by that thought.

On the other hand, when we leave, nothing will matter and we will never know what happened to what was our collection (here also enter the spiritual beliefs of each one, but that's another topic). So, perhaps it matters little all this suffering in advance, even though it is inevitable.

To put a pinch of humor to this so black and at the same time natural subject, they could bury us with our collection as in ancient Egypt (so, if there is another life, maybe we would not have to start our collections from 0...XD).
Back to top Go down
TheWholeCollection

TheWholeCollection

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 10:07 pm

I've been thinking along these same lines of late, so seeing this post, is well it's ironic timing.

A museum would be cool, but as mentioned, there are some practical issues with that.... including but not limited to the the following.
1. Cost of building such a vast place, especially if it's to hold more than one person's entire collection, even more so considering the fact that, (if I'm not mistaken) most of us figure collectors have at least one room in our home entirely, or partly dedicated to displaying our figures....and possibly even more rooms.
2. Would everyone's collections be kept together? Or would we separate them based on species?
3. What about duplicate figures in the museum, across different collections?
4. This will limit the chance for potential future figure collectors to aquire certain models for their personal enjoyment. (I know, that sounds somewhat selfish, considering the museum would be open to more eyes, giving enjoyment to more people, possibly even fueling interest to collect in future would-be collectors, that might not have considered it otherwise.)
5. Yes, location, shipping, and staff are all factors....

6. Alright....the print on demand book sounds cool....even I cannot find fault in that one....perhaps a book could be compiled of everyone's collections? Maybe a series? One that produces on demand books every say....I don't know, five years? Giving new collections a chance to be in the book, updating already covered collections, and of course always having a special place for the collections of collectors who have passed on?

My idea was to have loved ones (or leave it in your will/final wishes)...take pictures and ask for guidance from the knowledgeable people here on sts for advice. Even as I type this, I know that is not a great solution. Most of us have our free time taken up with our own collections, or documenting on STS and TAW.

Perhaps personally documenting our figures ourselves is really the only way to give even half a chance of our figures being resold at the right prices, or at all. And maybe only select figures from our collections really need to be resold online and the rest we'd be okay with going to a second-hand store (as I believe was mentioned by someone earlier)? Eventually some either sold or donated might even make their way into other collectors hands. There are those people who buy and resell from thrift stores online...so they may end up on the Internet anyway, or yes as children's toys as they were originally intended, (though I think companies are selling to both children and adult collectors now days  Smile). But even mothers post listings online after the children are grown...mayhap a collector would end up with them yet and the cycle would start over. Do you ever think about what life a figure has had before joining your collection? All this is of course dependant on someone taking the time to list or yes donate, these after we've passed on.

This would also allow kin, friends, whoever is close to you, the opportunity to keep certain figures for posterity. Keep in mind however that no matter whether the collection is sold, donated or both it would probably be very sad for someone to sell off a collection that meant so much to you...even if they know it is what you would have wanted.

Another thought is to document each figure with a price and rare or common written on tape or a tie-on ticket and place on the underside of each individual figure.
It could prove interesting finding out the total worth of a collection. After all, how could I possibly expect someone who is not a collector to know the worth of a collection, which even I can only guess at? Pictures and catalogs are a great resource for sure, especially if it is self-made, but I am not certain that some people can even tell certain figures apart even with pictures and markings and the clearest most organized of step by step instructions. Even if they could, yet a few questions would probably remain.

If the figures are to be resold would you want them sold all together? That would be nice, but finding a buyer, who is willing to pay what the figures are worth...is unlikely in such a large set, and there's no guarantee that they would remain together even if bought, as the new buyer could decide to keep only certain figures. So would it be better to have them divided into lots? If so by brand or species? By rare or common? Or sold individually? A combination of all three? All this would of course take time....I as a collector, feel it would be worth it... Of course to be resold online would require that someone is willing to list them for you, and as mentioned not everyone is willing or able to do that. Not to mention the added work of packing and shipping the figures

Too bad there isn't an address that can be decided and the figures could be shipped and donated to a figure collector organization, that would then sort through them and sell them off, and the money could be donated to the continuation of the organization or to some pre-decided animal rescue possibly of the deceased choosing? But again...that would take time, and money, and well...a location...even so this would be a nice compromise for both us and the people left to find a new home for our beloved collections, because as collectors we'd know they will be taken care of by people who know what figures are rare and common, likely having a website for other collectors to buy our donated figures from. (Also unintentionally documenting them in the process). It would be easier for people who don't collect figures because they wouldn't have to spend a lot of time listing them. Of course they wouldn't get the value out of them, but, can't have everything. scratch

A thought from someone I discussed this with suggested.
Since a physical location may not be attainable, perhaps a virtual museum would serve to both preserve the original collectors intent, as well as educate the public on figure collecting. However, the physical figures would still need to be decided on.

Perhaps a combination of a physical location to send the figures to and a virtual museum/store would be the only way to both preserve the memory of the original collections, and help to ensure that the figures fall into knowledgeable hands, this could work for figures that are no longer wanted/needed in a collection of both living collectors and those who have passed on. Could even add a print on demand book in there somewhere.   study  Wink

None of us want to burden those we care about with these decisions, perhaps that is why we are thinking of them ourselves. At the end of the day, what happens happens, much as I'd like to think each of our collections will be cared for and loved, it is out of our hands. All we can do is enjoy them, try our best to help out our loved ones in suggesting what to do with them. Keep collecting, as long as it makes you happy, what happens after really doesn't matter. Life is short, better to live in the moment, the figures have survived this long, it is my hope that they will continue to do so, like some of the animals they are based on most nature and figures will find a way.

These were my thoughts, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope this helps in some small way.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 10:28 pm

TheWholeCollection wrote:
I've been thinking along these same lines of late, so seeing this post, is well it's ironic timing.

A museum would be cool, but as mentioned, there are some practical issues with that.... including but not limited to the the following.
1. Cost of building such a vast place, especially if it's to hold more than one person's entire collection, even more so considering the fact that, (if I'm not mistaken) most of us figure collectors have at least one room in our home entirely, or partly dedicated to displaying our figures....and possibly even more rooms.
2. Would everyone's collections be kept together? Or would we separate them based on species?
3. What about duplicate figures in the museum, across different collections?
4. This will limit the chance for potential future figure collectors to aquire certain models for their personal enjoyment. (I know, that sounds somewhat selfish, considering the museum would be open to more eyes, giving enjoyment to more people, possibly even fueling interest to collect in future would-be collectors, that might not have considered it otherwise.)
5. Yes, location, shipping, and staff are all factors....

6. Alright....the print on demand book sounds cool....even I cannot find fault in that one....perhaps a book could be compiled of everyone's collections? Maybe a series? One that produces on demand books every say....I don't know, five years? Giving new collections a chance to be in the book, updating already covered collections, and of course always having a special place for the collections of collectors who have passed on?

My idea was to have loved ones (or leave it in your will/final wishes)...take pictures and ask for guidance from the knowledgeable people here on sts for advice. Even as I type this, I know that is not a great solution. Most of us have our free time taken up with our own collections, or documenting on STS and TAW.

Perhaps personally documenting our figures ourselves is really the only way to give even half a chance of our figures being resold at the right prices, or at all. And maybe only select figures from our collections really need to be resold online and the rest we'd be okay with going to a second-hand store (as I believe was mentioned by someone earlier)? Eventually some either sold or donated might even make their way into other collectors hands. There are those people who buy and resell from thrift stores online...so they may end up on the Internet anyway, or yes as children's toys as they were originally intended, (though I think companies are selling to both children and adult collectors now days  Smile). But even mothers post listings online after the children are grown...mayhap a collector would end up with them yet and the cycle would start over. Do you ever think about what life a figure has had before joining your collection? All this is of course dependant on someone taking the time to list or yes donate, these after we've passed on.

This would also allow kin, friends, whoever is close to you, the opportunity to keep certain figures for posterity. Keep in mind however that no matter whether the collection is sold, donated or both it would probably be very sad for someone to sell off a collection that meant so much to you...even if they know it is what you would have wanted.

Another thought is to document each figure with a price and rare or common written on tape or a tie-on ticket and place on the underside of each individual figure.
It could prove interesting finding out the total worth of a collection. After all, how could I possibly expect someone who is not a collector to know the worth of a collection, which even I can only guess at? Pictures and catalogs are a great resource for sure, especially if it is self-made, but I am not certain that some people can even tell certain figures apart even with pictures and markings and the clearest most organized of step by step instructions. Even if they could, yet a few questions would probably remain.

If the figures are to be resold would you want them sold all together? That would be nice, but finding a buyer, who is willing to pay what the figures are worth...is unlikely in such a large set, and there's no guarantee that they would remain together even if bought, as the new buyer could decide to keep only certain figures. So would it be better to have them divided into lots? If so by brand or species? By rare or common? Or sold individually? A combination of all three? All this would of course take time....I as a collector, feel it would be worth it... Of course to be resold online would require that someone is willing to list them for you, and as mentioned not everyone is willing or able to do that. Not to mention the added work of packing and shipping the figures

Too bad there isn't an address that can be decided and the figures could be shipped and donated to a figure collector organization, that would then sort through them and sell them off, and the money could be donated to the continuation of the organization or to some pre-decided animal rescue possibly of the deceased choosing? But again...that would take time, and money, and well...a location...even so this would be a nice compromise for both us and the people left to find a new home for our beloved collections, because as collectors we'd know they will be taken care of by people who know what figures are rare and common, likely having a website for other collectors to buy our donated figures from. (Also unintentionally documenting them in the process). It would be easier for people who don't collect figures because they wouldn't have to spend a lot of time listing them. Of course they wouldn't get the value out of them, but, can't have everything. scratch

A thought from someone I discussed this with suggested.
Since a physical location may not be attainable, perhaps a virtual museum would serve to both preserve the original collectors intent, as well as educate the public on figure collecting. However, the physical figures would still need to be decided on.

Perhaps a combination of a physical location to send the figures to and a virtual museum/store would be the only way to both preserve the memory of the original collections, and help to ensure that the figures fall into knowledgeable hands, this could work for figures that are no longer wanted/needed in a collection of both living collectors and those who have passed on. Could even add a print on demand book in there somewhere.   study  Wink

None of us want to burden those we care about with these decisions, perhaps that is why we are thinking of them ourselves. At the end of the day, what happens happens, much as I'd like to think each of our collections will be cared for and loved, it is out of our hands. All we can do is enjoy them, try our best to help out our loved ones in suggesting what to do with them. Keep collecting, as long as it makes you happy, what happens after really doesn't matter. Life is short, better to live in the moment, the figures have survived this long, it is my hope that they will continue to do so, like some of the animals they are based on most nature and figures will find a way.

These were my thoughts, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope this helps in some small way.
Very interesting to read your thoughts! Very Happy A great contribution, certainly lots to think about! study
Back to top Go down
TheWholeCollection

TheWholeCollection

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 10:36 pm

Re: Bonnie
Thank you, I'm glad you found it interesting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2022 11:52 pm

Believe it or not, I've thought about this before reading this thread, and after reading some of the replies I'm thinking of doing what Blaine did and sending them to a natural history museum for exhibition (maybe a gallery of earth's history considering a lot of my collection is prehistoric)

Also check out my collection here: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t24843-gecko08s-updated-collection#479813
Crocodile Haydn Crocodile
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 5:17 am

You know, STS forum could be named a beneficiary of any figure's sales.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 6:10 am

This is a good topic to bounce ideas around...

For me, as of currently, I have no children myself. I have 20 (and counting... big family) nieces and nephews. I have considered asking any of them if they would like any of my breyers or other models to have as keepsakes. Over the years I have used my collection as teaching tools for them and when they visit many of them often like to sit and ask me questions about the natural world and the species presented on my shelves. So it is a pleasing thought that at least some of my models might be appreciated by blood relatives.

But my collection is also enormous and diverse... I have also considered creating my own kind of museum for tourists someday, as a pet project. But I am not sure if any natural history museum would be interested in every piece I have and while it wouldn't be an "all or nothing" deal for me I would not like the idea of some models just being tossed away over others, as for me I keep them all for my own reasoning...

But my number one idea is to have my collection dispersed amongst friends here somehow. But the logistics are difficult as pointed out above...

So... Uh... I guess that leaves... scratch study

I guess that means I have to live forever! cheers

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happens to your collection when you die?   What happens to your collection when you die? Empty

Back to top Go down

What happens to your collection when you die?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next