Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)

Go down 
+29
bmathison1972
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
Bloodrayne
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
George
RtasVadumee
Jill
Burgerenby
sunny
Seeway
Markus
spacelab
Mitsukuni
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
Taos
SUSANNE
Bonnie
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
widukind
Loon
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) Empty
PostSubject: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 am

Hi all! I recently got some new models and figured it would be the perfect time to start a collection thread here. So, here they are!

Bongo Antelope (CollectA)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I believe this figure represents the mountain bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus isaaci)? Only because he’s quite beefy, which seems to be a characteristic of the mountain subspecies. But, of course, my ability to distinguish subspecies is severely lacking. Still, I’m happy to finally have a good figure of what has to be one of the more beautiful mammals, or, at least, ungulates.

King Cheetah (CollectA)
I’m not one for big cats, to be honest. In fact, I only own one other, being CollectA’s African leopard. I don’t know. It’s just, to me, buying toys of tigers and lions is about as exciting as owning figures of domestic cattle and pigs. Now, this isn’t me being biased because I have dogs, after all, the closest thing I own to a dog figure is Safari’s maned wolf. Maybe big cats just don’t really excite me that much. That said, cheetahs are quite interesting to me. I love their lithe form and physicality, so I wanted to get one for my collection. Ever since I saw this figure, I knew I had to have it, particularly because it represented a rare color morph of my favorite big cat. Really, the only nitpick I have is that it does suffer a bit by looking a little squat for such a lanky species.  

Kakapo (Science and Nature)
To tell the truth, I really didn’t have the highest hopes for this figure. I have owned a couple of Science and Nature figures before (Muttaburrasaurus and Serendiceratops), and…they were far from impressive. But I have a thing for weird birds, and the Kakapo is one of the weirdest, so I had to get this one. Shockingly, it turned out far nicer (and bigger) than I expected. It’s not the most detailed thing in terms of paint or sculpting, but the gap is nowhere near as wide between this figure and more mainstream replicas as it was for those two dinosaurs.

Warthog (Schleich)
I think 2021 Schleich lineup, while laughable in some areas, has some quality figures. Case in point, the Warthog, which I believe is the common warthog (Phacochoerus africanus), not exactly sure which subspecies. It’s always hard to find something to say about a solid figures other than “they’re good,” so I won’t say more than that.

Emu (Mojö Fun)
This figure came highly recommended in the comments section of my review of Southlands Replicas’ male Emu on the Animal Toy Blog. After finally giving up on the Southlands figure (it kept leaning). Though I do like that one in terms of detail a bit more; the lack of the brown feathers higher on the neck and the lackluster blue around the head on this one is a little disappointing. Still, the overall toy is just such a good model of this bird.  

Komodo Dragon (Mojö Fun)
Like crocodilians, it seemed to me that there were very few figures that captured the look of Komodo dragons very well. The Mojö one looked to be the best overall, but the colors looked very dull. However, I saw a thread on STS, I think, about the 2020 revision. It looked way better, so I decided to buy one, hoping I’d get the newer version. Unfortunately, I got the older version at first and, after realizing the 2020 version had a different product number, I found a listing and bought one. However, I slowly started to like the older version more. I think the newer one is far too green, oddly enough. I like that this old version depicts a dirty animal, as opposed to the cleaner look of the new release.

Tamandua (Mojö Fun)
Finally. FINALLY. I have it, one of my few “holy grails” in terms of animal models, the amazing Mojö Fun tamandua! I think this figure represents the Southern tamandua (Tamandua tetradactyla), because of the lack of the orangey coloration around the neck. This figure was a bit of a pain to find. It’s not impossible, it is on Amazon for $30ish, but that’s crazy high for such a little thing. Luckily, I found it along with the Komodo and the Emu on Walmart for around $8. I’m a big fan of anteaters, so I’m happy to get this guy. Hopefully someone’s made or will make a silky anteater at some point.

Last edited by Loon on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:21 am; edited 31 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 8:41 am

Nice choice of species :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 9:51 am

Fantastic that you opened a topic for your collection, with great individual pictures and comments about each model. Mojo was the only of the majors releasing a tamandua. While discontinuing it, they turned it into one of the most desirable and valuable collectibles on Mojo range.
So, better to get it now before it is gone forever. I think you mean African leopard when refering to a jaguar?

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Good choice well commented and very well shot! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Excellent newcomers and great photos!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 5:07 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Roger wrote:
. . . I think you mean African leopard when refering to a jaguar?

Yes, 100%. I don't know how I flubbed that one.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Loon wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Roger wrote:
. . . I think you mean African leopard when refering to a jaguar?

Yes, 100%. I don't know how I flubbed that one.
No worries, it happens.  sunny

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Excellent newcomers and great photos! Very Happy Applause cheers Cool
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyWed Mar 24, 2021 10:33 pm

Beautiful animals, especially the bongo CollectA and the emu Mojo

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 am

So many fantastic models, and I am very excited to see your collection! cheers sunny
I especially love the Kakapo, as I had never seen this beauty before! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 12:15 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Bonnie wrote:
So many fantastic models, and I am very excited to see your collection! cheers sunny
I especially love the Kakapo, as I had never seen this beauty before! Very Happy

I have to agree, the Kakapo really is such a nice little figure.

Alright, I've finally decided to start photographing some of my shelves. They're still a bit dusty, so forgive me for that. Here's the first one, my Paleozoic shelf!
Definitely one of my favorites, as this era was just full of strange creatures that were truly like nothing alive today.

I get on posting some more this weekend. Until then, I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Last edited by Loon on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 am

Oh wow, what a great shelf display! Is that a tiktaalik (large green fella on the middle display)? What brand is it? Excellent again.  Applause

Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 12:39 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh wow, what a great shelf display! Is that a tiktaalik (large green fella on the middle display)? What brand is it? Excellent again.  Applause

Thank you! And, yes it is. It's made by an Australian artist named Bruce Currie. He sells it along with several other Paleozoic models on his site, Paleozoo.

They're really beautiful. But, since they are 3D printed and hand-painted, all of them are a bit fragile and quite expensive.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 am

It is a really great model. Thank you for the information!

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 8:27 am

What a wonderful topic cheers

Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 am

Wonderful display with many species I don't know (yet!) cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 pm

It is like finding life like ours in another planet but in a different stage of evolution. So beautiful and intriguing.

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 am

Thanks everyone! I have to agree, it's such a weird time for life on earth, but definitely very interesting.

I wasn't going to dust just yet, but I didn't like how dusty that last photo looked. So, here are some shelves I've dusted (I've also updated the last post with a dusted version of the shelf).

First up, the Triassic! I enjoy this shelf quite a bit, maybe more than the Paleozoic shelf??? I can't say, but I have such an affection for this period and the fauna within.

Skipping ahead in time quite a bit, the extinct Cenozoic shelves are also now cleaned up.

The Paleogene shelf, which is my personal favorite of the three:

Next up, the Neogene shelf:

My extinct Quaternary shelf (I always misspell it "Quarternary").

UPDATE: The Paleogene and Neogene shelves have been updated.

Last edited by Loon on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 2:50 am

Really truly splendid displays of such weird animals! I am just enraptured by your splendid models of different species. drunken Definitely will come back to drool over them... Wink Thanks for presenting!

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 9:28 am

These displays are beautiful, I love how you have set out all the animals! cheers cheers And the lighting really brings out the beauty of the models, all perfectly organised by era! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 12:12 pm

drunken Like Saar, I am drooling other your wonderful collection. I like its museum way display and particury the hengen basilosaurus. You have many very interesting species with some awesome models like your Indricotherium/ baluchitherium (which brand please?) Watching on your collection is also very useful because of the size comparisons that allows to do!.. cheers cheers Applause

Last question, what's the species on Paleogene shelf, on the top right, in front please? scratch
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Really truly splendid displays of such weird animals! I am just enraptured by your splendid models of different species. drunken Definitely will come back to drool over them... Wink Thanks for presenting!

Ha, thank you!

Bonnie wrote:
These displays are beautiful, I love how you have set out all the animals! cheers cheers And the lighting really brings out the beauty of the models, all perfectly organised by era! Very Happy

Thank you! It's funny you mention the era-based organization, as I apparently messed up by placing the Daeodon (yellowish pig-looking beast) on the top Paleogene shelf instead of with the Moropus (yellowish screaming horse gorilla thing) on the Neogene shelf. Since they seemed to have lived together.

Caracal wrote:
drunken Like Saar, I am drooling other your wonderful collection. I like its museum way display and particury the hengen basilosaurus. You have many very interesting species with some awesome models like your Indricotherium/ baluchitherium (which brand please?) Watching on your collection is also very useful because of the size comparisons that allows to do!.. cheers cheers Applause

Last question, what's the species on Paleogene shelf, on the top right, in front please? scratch

Thank you! I'm happy you like the hanging models, I was a bit wary of the idea at first, but it seems to work.

The Paraceratherium is made by a company called "I-Toy." They're a Chinese manufacturer, so their stuff is a bit harder to get and quite expensive (it's the most expensive figure I own). It seems like they're getting a bit more distribution as I know Everything Dinosaur (UK) now sells their stuff, and I believe Dan's Dinosaurs (US) is also starting to carry their figures.

If you're referring to the orange and yellow mammal, that's the Pakicetus attocki. It's made by the Spanish artist, Jesus Toledo, through his company, Paleo-Creatures.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 12:04 am

Thank you Loon! :)
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Beautiful displays!!! Applause Applause Applause

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 9:52 pm

These are really excellent displays Applause Beautiful models and a very nice, dusty but clear way to show them Very Happy

The Indricotherium is really fantastic, is it at 1/35 ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) Empty

Back to top Go down

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next