Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PNSO African Savannah Collection

Go down 
+7
rogerpgvg
Bonnie
widukind
Taos
SUSANNE
Roger
Numa
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PNSO African Savannah Collection Empty
PostSubject: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 7:09 am

I ordered this from China via AliExpress and it arrived within 2 weeks - impressive given the pandemic and slow down of post around the world in general.

However I was really surprised to find the models to be really small. I actually didnt realise they would be so small but I can live with that. However, some of sculpting leaves much to be desired and the Giraffe is the worst model I have ever seen -what were they thinking? Who let the sculpting past quality control??

However the packing they arrive in is lovely - its like a foldout book format which is adorable and a lovely touch. its nice to receive animal models in a presentation box like this.

Overall I am happy I have bought them and can 'tick' them off my list!

Not sure why imgbb.com rotates some of the photos - I dont know how to rotate them back sorry!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 am

It reminds a boxed set I owned as a kid. They were monochromatic like the Dinamização models But the box interior was more like this set with holes to fit the pieces. I think PNSO has some interesting figures, warthog, gazelle and a few others and also some not so pleasing. A great brand anyway and the work they are making with prehistoric animals is fabulous. If they can put the same level with wild animals, it will be a serious affair.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:09 am

Very, very interesting to see !!!! Applause Applause

Is it possible that you will show one of them with one of the well-known models , to see the size. Please ? Very Happy

The giraffe looks like he is in the middle of a "head-fight " , - truely scary !!! pale

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 am

My set of the Popular Asian animals came in a very similar box and like you I was surprised at how small the models were!I would agree the giraffe seems odd and the horse that came with my set was odd as well.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Congratulations, next good catch for you :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Although smaller than expected these models are wonderful overall, with some alternative poses that are definitely a bonus! Very Happy I love the running Cheetah, trotting Gazelle and Warthog- it will be interesting to see what PNSO do in the future! As Roger says, if they can start to make their animals like their Dinosaurs, we could have a beautiful new range of figures! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 am

Some PNSO are a bit odd, while others have interesting new poses, some are even good. My theory is that it's the same with the PNSO dinosaurs, but because we don't know what dinosaurs looked like, we think they are interesting new poses rather than odd Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 8:09 am

Taos wrote:
...... like you I was surprised at how small the models were!.....

What size are they ? Like Starlux or such ? Shocked

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am

The crocodile is 13 cm, measured along the curves over its spine. So yes, the size is quite similar to Starlux. I'd be interested to know what the exact shoulder height of the zebra is, I can't quite work out whether it's the right size for me.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks, Roger-UK Very Happy

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm

Congratulations Numaan for having this box cheers
I also got it .
All models are nice, some - really nice...and some a bit odd, with strange poses or with strange choice of sculpt.
Like the zebra, it can be a really nice model, but the sculptor made the ears so small, so not realistic.
The giraffe is hilarious . So crazy looking with this pose. I actually like the pose of the neck, but what makes it looking very odd , is the hind two legs, which are crossing, like it is drunk.
The sizes are also with a strange choise for some of the models.
The elephant and hippo are the smallest of all.
But some models works great with major brands.
And like I said, some models are really nice. I love the cheetah and warthog for example.

Maybe it is a good idea, to show all models individually, with more detailed photos :)

Numa

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 12:16 am

Hi folks

Thanks for your comments.  It's great sharing photos with each other as it sparks good discussion, thoughtful points, useful insights and one can learn differing views and opinions.

Indeed like some of you have said the collection overall is lovely and I have no regrets but really the two most disappointing models for me are the giraffe (it does indeed look like a drunkard!) and the Zebra - great potential but really odd, virtually missing ears.  The lion also has an odd face and the crocodile's head just looks weird but overall no regrets.

Scale is inconsistent and yes Rhino, hippo and elephant are too small whereas Gazelle, Cheetah and warthog are about right but again I am fine with that.

I have the other Australian animals collection - that is a smaller set but the figures are much larger in scale with Schleich so again, total inconsistency between different sets from the same range.  PNSO need help and assistant! I think someone from STS needs to get in touch to discuss this with them, help and guide them, any volunteers? :-)

Personally, with their fold out box presentation I think they should focus on 'sets' of species like what Play Visions did.  So a old out box set of Big Cats, Tropical Birds, Water birds, Antelopes, Wild Dogs, Equids that sort of thing.  Let's see.

In the meantime, as I have already put my animals up on display in my vitrines I have quickly taken some photos for you of some of them against other models so you get an idea of style.  Perhaps someone with more photographic skills can put together a proper Walk around sometime.

Enjoy

black x png
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 1:04 am

Thank you so much for thee excellent close ups! They're wonderful! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Rakel

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 3:04 am

There are some very nice poses amongst these figures, though before I saw your pictures from your shelves, I wondered if the figures were even able to stand. So I am impressed they made figures with those running poses, that are balanced anyway. Maybe some of the other brands could learn something Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am

Numaan wrote:

Sorry for the off-topic, but that's a rhinoceros iguana behind the tuatara?? Never knew about it, do you know the brand?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 6:50 pm

Pardofelis wrote:

Sorry for the off-topic, but that's a rhinoceros iguana behind the tuatara?? Never knew about it, do you know the brand?

it is a Play visions or a Yujin, you will find them on TAW HERE Very Happy

By the way, the elephant seems better than I thought, could someone make a walakaround of this tiny little one ?

I still have to catch the warthog, I really love the pose drunken

The only one I own is the chameleon and it is really awesome, I agree with Numaan, it would be great if PNSO makes some series like PV did.

Is it me or the small hippo have very small legs ?

I would be happy to see a close-up of the croc's head.

What dinosaur series are you talking about Roger (not Rogério Wink ) ? The smaller one or the big ones in box ? I can tell you the last ones are from a higher level, whether in artistic quality or scientific realism. I can't see a weird pose on the whole line.

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for info, I will add it to my wishlist!

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Not so close, but I don't want to get too close to a croc:

Kikimalou wrote:

What dinosaur series are you talking about Roger (not Rogério  Wink ) ? The smaller one or the big ones in box ? I can tell you the last ones are from a higher level, whether in artistic quality or scientific realism. I can't see a weird pose on the whole line.

I don't know what I am talking about when it's about dinosaurs (keep in mind Very Happy ), but you and Kosta recently did some great walkarounds of PNSO dinosaurs. I agree that they are very artistic and very pleasing to the eye. But I don't think we can really see whether their poses are natural, because we don't know what they looked like or how they behaved. We used to think that dinosaurs were crawling animals, but we now know this isn't a natural pose. Some of the earlier dinosaur figures such as by Starlux have poses that we now know are unnatural, but didn't seem so strange then.

As an example, take the PNSO rhino:

I think its pose is quite unnatural or at least very uncommon, because it raises its head too high and rhinos aren't so flexible. But it's certainly an interesting pose and if it was a dinosaur, well, who knows? Similar with the hippo. It looks like its legs are too short. But if it was a dinosaur, we wouldn't realise this.

I know it is a controversial argument and I present it in an extreme way, but I believe we evaluate dinosaur figures in a different way from extant animals. Nothing wrong with that, but it may explain why we appreciate the PNSO dinosaurs more than their living animals.
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 4:43 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Not so close, but I don't want to get too close to a croc:

Ha, quite right...SNAP!
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 4:47 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Numaan wrote:

It is indeed a Yujin model  - thanks for link Christophe, even I hadnt seen it before.

Have you noticed how lots of Play Visions models seem to be similar to some Japanese models, its like they were all made by the same factory but sold to different companies, just like what Schleich and Maia and Borges did with their Sealife range.

Anyway I cannot remember where I got them from but it was from a purchase online, perhaps Brett.  I got them all new.  Here they are, a little close up for you so you can see the models (although I may be posting these in the wrong topic, sorry!)

anonymous picture upload
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks! A shame about the unsculpted scaleless belly, as the raised front leg, but I still like it. And oooh a tegu! This one also will go to my wishlist Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 8:10 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Thanks! A shame about the unsculpted scaleless belly, as the raised front leg, but I still like it. And oooh a tegu! This one also will go to my wishlist Very Happy

Your tegu is alas an Asian water monitor.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 pm

Ouch! Embarassed honestly it looked like more an Argentine black & white tegu for me. But if monitor has to be, then I will house it as such! :)

Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Ouch! Embarassed honestly it looked like more an Argentine black & white tegu for me. But if monitor has to be, then I will house it as such! :)

Was having a browse of Yahoo Japan as I do time to time and look what I found!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PNSO African Savannah Collection   PNSO African Savannah Collection Empty

Back to top Go down

PNSO African Savannah Collection
Page 1 of 1