Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to get an ocelot!

Go down 
+13
George
rogerpgvg
widukind
Kikimalou
pipsxlch
sunny
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
Ana
SUSANNE
Taos
Caracal
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

How to get an ocelot! Empty
PostSubject: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Some years ago,  before the Ocelot from Papo was released, I was so sad to have no Ocelot. So, I decided to custom a little cheap chinese leopard. I just cut a little its too long tail, elongate a little its ears and changed its coat:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One year after, I met another one from a Wild Republic toob, I had to repaint and to make its legs a little thiner. I was so happy now with my 2 ocelots:

.. and then the wonderful surprise from Papo:

and released in the Wild:

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 6:26 pm

Wonderful repaints!!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 7:53 pm

Thank you Taos! :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 8:01 pm

WOW !!!! They are just GORGEOUS cheers

Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 8:55 pm

Thank you Susanne! :)
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 9:17 pm

Great repaints! Such a nice pair of ocelots Very Happy And the Papo one looks like a bigger cousin Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Beautiful, incredibly detailed and realistic custom! cheers sunny Applause You have a real talent for painting cats! Very Happy Shocked Applause
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 11:03 pm

Really splendid job! Such a cute little feline friend.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 11:13 pm

Very Happy  Many thanks to you three Ana, Bonnie and Paige!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 11:56 pm

Ocelots have a weird story in this hobby. Probably the K&M adult and baby from the AZA collection are the oldest ocelot figures we know. What means until recently there weren't ocelots anywhere. Laughing Unfortunately those are rare and you're so talented that you made your own models and they're so beautiful. I also dreamed about them, especially the large ones I mentioned but fortunately Papo saved all of us with a beautiful figure. Sadly, it is already very rare too. So, you are one of the collectors with a bigger number of ocelots I know. Laughing

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 12:18 am

The big K&M one sculpting is rather good but its painting is rather strange.. I suppose that the specific pattern of this species is not easy to do in mass production context and it's why they are so few.. But Papo succed with that and they stopped its production.. it's surprising for it's a very known and popular cat! Shocked
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 2:12 am

what superb tiny ocelots you have now Alain! they look magnificent, well done on creating them for your collection!
I too have many thoughts about turning such and such model into such and such animal Very Happy to fit into my collection
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:46 am

What a beautiful detailed job on something so tiny- hats off to your talents! cheers
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 10:23 am

Very Happy  Many thanks Annette and pipsxich!

.. and here with its big cousin, the jag from Sfari ltd:

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 am

Caracal wrote:
The big K&M one sculpting is rather good but its painting is rather strange.. I suppose that the specific pattern of this species is not easy to do in mass production context and it's why they are so few.. But Papo succed with that and they stopped its production.. it's surprising for it's a very known and popular cat! Shocked

Yes, you're right. These kind of animals with complex pattersn are a nightmare for companies , the same happens with some civet species, etc. I don't think ocelots are that popular but surely it was desirable to see more renditions of this beautiful animal. Caracals are more famous, easier in terms of painting and they're rare too.
Papo ocelot was available for such a short time that I think we cannot even find knockoffs of it. Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 am

I prefer yours cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 4:43 pm

Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:14 pm

Very beautiful, made by the master of the spots!

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

Yes, you're right. These kind of animals with complex pattersn are a nightmare for companies , the same happens with some civet species, etc. I don't think ocelots are that popular but surely it was desirable to see more renditions of this beautiful animal. Caracals are more famous, easier in terms of painting and they're rare too.
Papo ocelot was available for such a short time that I think we cannot even find knockoffs of it. Laughing

Do you think caracals are more famous?.. but their fur were never used to make very expensive stars coats! I don't understand well why Papo retired ocelots from their catalogue since the were alone to produice them!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:24 pm

Very Happy  Many thanks Christophe, Andreas and Roger!
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:54 pm

Really beautiful custom work, they make a lovely pair with their matching sleek and perfectly applied paintjobs. Even nicer than their officially released bigger brother!

The big cats seem to get the majority (the lion's share? Laughing ) of figure releases, these smaller cats are just as beautiful and important but the companies don't seem to favour them. Perhaps we're seeing it too much from our adult-enthusiast perspective, where we've had a lot more time to learn more animals. Maybe they're not as well-recognised by the average small child, where lions, tigers, leopards and cheetahs will always sell more because they're famous with that target audience?

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Toy Animal Wiki is a good source to know which animals are more popular in toy shape.
Here the ranking of the reasonably popular species, all others are poorly represented. Snow leopard is a new wave thing.

1º Lion
2º Tiger
3º Leopard
4º Cheetah
5º Puma
6º Snow leopard
7º Jaguar
8º Eurasian lynx

Caracal wrote:
  Do you think caracals are more famous?.. but their fur were never used to make very expensive stars coats! I don't understand well why Papo retired ocelots from their catalogue since the were alone to produice them!

Ocelots are not so unknown in my country due to our connection with Brazil but I have the perception that the misterious Desert lynx is better known globally but I may be wrong.
I agree about Papo but this is the kind of figure for a single production batch. Poorly known species, complex painting and expensive for its size. It all means poor sales. We see the exact same thing with Schleich.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 6:16 pm

Hah, I guessed an exact right top four just by thinking back to 'What would other kids in my class have heard of?' when I was a small child (they didn't believe I'd seen snow leopards or red pandas in the school holidays, because leopards are from hot places and pandas are black and white) Rolling Eyes Laughing

Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 7:27 pm

When I was a child I would have dreamed to find ocelots figures but of course, my comrades had other dreams and I am not sure they knew ocelots very well.. I know you're right, these less known cats species are more difficult to sell to most kids  and it's why I was so surprised when I saw this species on Papo catalog, my dream  was guetting real!!.. and I bought 2 of this so precious models!.. But since it's retired from catalog, I don't think Papo will  release one Serval or Caracal! Crying or Very sad

Very Happy Thank you for your replies and kind words Rogério and George!

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 10:41 pm

These are really nice creations of a beautiful cat, you handled the unique coat pattern really well, especially on that scale. The additional sculpting work were perfect touches as well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get an ocelot!   How to get an ocelot! Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get an ocelot!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next