Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pig breeds & Wild hogs

Go down 
+6
Taos
George
bmathison1972
Roger
Joliezac
FlaffyRaptors
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

Country/State : United Kingdom

Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 11:27 pm

Found an edit of the CollectA Babirusa by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Which imo looks a lot better than both the original CollectA and 2018 Safari, though I feel like the Safari figure could be greatly elevated with a good repaint. Safari's thick and often sloppy factory paint does not do their sculpts any justice.
Full discussion here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 11:59 pm

Sorry for scary picture but is it what you mean?
The eyes of my model are surely not perfect but they're tiny.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 12:03 am

Roger wrote:

Thanks for the picture! And yeah unfortunately my memory was correct, the sculpt/mould is misshapen to the point where the right eye is in an entirely different position compared to the left. And it seems that the entire right side of the face is just shifted upwards. Sadly common with CollectA figures around that time (another notable example would be their Rajasaurus).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 12:15 am

FlaffyRaptors wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks for the picture! And yeah unfortunately my memory was correct, the sculpt/mould is misshapen to the point where the right eye is in an entirely different position compared to the left. And it seems that the entire right side of the face is just shifted upwards. Sadly common with CollectA figures around that time (another notable example would be their Rajasaurus).

You're right and I never noticed it. It is also more noticiable from this angle, one eye is almost facing forwards while the other is sidewards. What a nice excuse to convince me to get the Safari babirusa too. Laughing
Safari's model is sculpted by Doug Watson, someone you're surely familiar with. Wink

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 12:26 am

Roger wrote:
FlaffyRaptors wrote:
Roger wrote:

You're right and I never noticed it. It is also more noticiable from this angle, one eye is almost facing forwards while the other is sidewards. What a nice excuse to convince me to get the Safari babirusa too. Laughing

At your service Wink , buy them all...! pig pig

Quote :
Safari's model is sculpted by Doug Watson, someone you're surely familiar with. Wink

Of course! Always a pleasure to read about his though process and sculpting choices. I wonder if he has any nice Suids planned for us in 2022... Wink
(and speaking of Safari, hoping to see more reveals from them soon!)
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 2:26 am

Those chinese Dafei Warthogs are mouth-watering affraid

Here are some comparison shots

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 9:09 pm

Joliezac wrote:
Those chinese Dafei Warthogs are mouth-watering affraid

Here are some comparison shots

Thank you very much for the comparison pics! Very helpful in informing my decision on picking a Warthog. Out of all of these, I feel that the weakest one is the Papo figure. While the muscle definition of the body is superior, the headsculpt just doesn't look like a typical Warthog to me, the small tusks are a bit of a shame too.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 am

I also never liked too much the Papo warthog. Schleich apparently is marketing the newer model as a desert warthog but I am not sure we should take it seriously. Probably Mojö Fun has the best but probably too big. scratch

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 12:51 am

You're welcome! I like the Mojo & Safari warthogs best in terms of being realistic, but they are large like Papo's so my favorite warthogs have been Schleich's 2010 trio.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 1:19 am

My warthog has been the 2010 Schleich boar I love so much but I think at some point of his family tree, there was a domestic pig. Laughing Not long ago, Kosta gave me the retired Safari that is as much crazy as a warthog should be. Laughing The quality finish of the Schleich model is superior but I love the way the old Safari is sculpted and it has a lot of energy.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2022 12:21 am

Roger wrote:
My warthog has been the 2010 Schleich boar I love so much but I think at some point of his family tree, there was a domestic pig. Laughing Not long ago, Kosta gave me the retired Safari that is as much crazy as a warthog should be. Laughing The quality finish of the Schleich model is superior but I love the way the old Safari is sculpted and it has a lot of energy.

Looking at the old Schleich boar closer, you're correct that it's a little off for the wild pig. The back is too straight, and the neck could've used more muscle in the dorsal region. I think I'm going to go for the new Mojo Warthog. The skin detail is immaculate, the dry brush is very effective at bringing out the fine detail, the lightly concave back & pronounced ilium are true to the species as well. The only criticism I have is the overly thick tail, maybe if Mojo used a more flexible plastic, they could've gotten away with making it thinner without risk of snapping.

And I too am not convinced of Schleich's identification of their new model as a Desert Warthog, it lacks the distinctive hooked warts, wide snout and curved ear tips. Hopefully someday a company will produce a true Desert warthog.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2022 12:58 am

The Schleich warthog was so good when it was released and very attractive as usual with Schleich models of that time. Though, as long as new and more realistic figures are released, we start noticing those little things and they're important.
Even comparing the Schleich with the old Safari, I can tell you they are roughly the same length but Schleich model has shorter legs and more massive head, especially the snout. Tail is thin but it is attached to the leg, some people don't like it but I think it is nicely done. The mane is also very beautiful for a rainy day. Laughing
Yes, I think the Mojö Fun warthog is defintely the most realistic, Mojö was brave enough to preserve that tail up,in a more typical pose than my Safari model and it has a price that is its thickness. I believe it is not made of a hard material or it will break anytime this figure falls down from a shelf. Mojö used tpr? for a short time and those figures were unbreakable but collectors really desliked it.
I think the best brand mixing plastics with different proprieties is CollectA, you can see it in your dinosaurs with ridges, spikes and similar elements. Though, strangely CollectA never released a warthog. Just charming wild boars, a red river hog and a babirusa. I won't be surprised if CollectA releases a warthog during the next year but I tend to believe they will renew the wild boar family.
Maybe someone can provide a comparison picture of the Mojö warthog with Mojö's wild boar, I know both figures are larger than the average.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 1:40 am

Roger wrote:

Maybe someone can provide a comparison picture of the Mojö warthog with Mojö's wild boar, I know both figures are larger than the average.
Well, I decided to get the Mojo Warthog afterall Very Happy! I can take some comparison pics with the Mojo Boar no problem.

Also, I just found out that "Divartsity" produces a red river hog family, with a boar, a sow and multiple piglets to choose from! Looks much nicer than the CollectA one imo, proportions are a lot better. They're made out of UV resin however, not sure how durable that material is.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 2:33 am

This family is lovely. cheers cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 10:23 pm

I think all Divartsity figures tend to be very good. I don't know how is it possible someone being good sculpting every kind of animal.
Do you know their scale? I have a fox, it is 1:20 scale I guess that is much smaller than standard sized foxes of toy companies. It seems to be a good resin quality that does not break easily but I won't dare to test it. Though, figures of this material and price surely need to be handled with care.
I would love to see a comparison picture of the Mojo wild boar with the warthog if possible and I think you could change the name of this topic too. Wink

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 am

Roger wrote:
I think all Divartsity figures tend to be very good. I don't know how is it possible someone being good sculpting every kind of animal.
Do you know their scale? I have a fox, it is 1:20 scale I guess that is much smaller than standard sized foxes of toy companies. It seems to be a good resin quality that does not break easily but I won't dare to test it. Though, figures of this material and price surely need to be handled with care.

Price & scale list for the Divartsity Red River Hog, they can do multiple scales to cater to different collections:

EXAMPLES OF PRICES (painted/unpainted)
1:30 (5,0cm).............40 / 14€
1:20 (7.5cm).............60 / 20€
1:18 (8.3cm).............67 / 22€
1:15 (10cm)..............80 / 28€
1:10 (15cm)............120 / 40€
To buy it, send me a PM or an email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And yeah as with most resin figures, I'm extremely worried about them breaking... Especially the thin delicate bits like tails, ear tips, legs, tusks/horns etc. That's why I am still a bit hesitant to order resin figures from artisans, despite the sculpts being so magnificent.

Quote :
I would love to see a comparison picture of the Mojo wild boar with the warthog if possible and I think you could change the name of this topic too. Wink
I've been meaning to do that, but I can't seem to find a way to change the topic title. Do you know how?

Last edited by FlaffyRaptors on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 am

Those prices of the unpainted models are quite fair and how fantastic we can get them in different scales. Schleich models are around 1:15 scale but I believe Mojö Fun are closer to 1:10 scale.
About editing the topic, I can do it for you if you wish but as a topic starter, you also can do it yourself. Just click the button "Edit" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] on top right of your post and change the title. Let me know if you want me to do it.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 4:25 pm

New package arrived! Featuring some of the most impressive tusks in the Suid family! Really loving both figures, though the Safari figure could definitely use a touch up in the paint department, maybe a dry-brush wash over the body to bring out the subtle textures?

Size comparison between Mojo Wild Boar and Common Warthog. Warthog definitely is a bit big, but I'm personally not to fussed about the scale of my pig collection as long as the sculpts look good.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Fantastic, your collection is now flutuating more towards my collecting interests. cheers Wink
I must get those two Mojö wild hogs, I think they're fantastic and their size is not disturbing at all. Many thanks for all those comparison pictures. Wild boar is perfect and that warthog face is unbeatable. cheers

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 2:17 pm

Such wonderful models! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 8:14 pm

@divartsity is making a Collared Peccary! IMO this leaner sculpt already looks better than the Safari one.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 11:58 pm

It looks amazing!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 12:02 am

It is looking really good and no doubts this artist captures the essence of each animal with big precision.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 am

Joliezac wrote:
It looks amazing!
Roger wrote:
It is looking really good and no doubts this artist captures the essence of each animal with big precision.

Indeed! That's why I hope that they'll update the Red River Hog sculpt. According to Nepaim it's one of their first 3D models, and it's clear by how nice the peccary looks, that their skill and precision in capturing the essence of an animal the has improved noticeably.

While still a nice sculpt overall, the Red River Hog does look a bit like kneaded clay/dough like in muscular regions; and the protruding bits on the face look pinched rather than organically flowing. The fur texture too is executed better on the peccary compared to the hog.
Back to top Go down
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 12:10 am

Painted and ready for sale!

"MODEL#266: Collared peccary (Dicotyles tajacu)

Ref: 242201001A
MEDIUM: Photopolimeric resin
SIZE: Any size or scale can be ordered
EXAMPLES OF PRICES:
Scale / Large / Painted / unpainted
1:20 / L: 5.6cm / 40€ / 13€
1:18 / L: 6.2cm / 44€ / 15€
1:15 / L: 7.5cm / 53€ / 18€
1:12 / L: 9.3cm / 67€ / 22€
1:10 / L: 11.2cm / 80€ / 27€
YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 2022"
- Nepaim Hesev (divartsity)