Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pig breeds & Wild hogs

Go down 
+6
Taos
George
bmathison1972
Roger
Joliezac
FlaffyRaptors
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 am

Actually it is radically different from the Safari model. and comparing both it is easy to see why you think Safari's is a little off. I don't know if the Divartsity figures still come in beautiful matchboxes like the fox I mentioned. So, they're fantastic even when not displayed. Wink

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 1:35 am

Really great peccary! I'd be tempted to get a buddy for my Safari figure but my Sonoran Desert display is quite cramped. Beautiful model though!! I love you I love you

Thanks for sharing cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 12:24 am

Do y'all think I could get away with using the larger Mojo Warthog as a Metridiochoerus? And instead have the smaller Schleich version as an extant Warthog?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
"The extant warthog Phacochoerus aethiopicus, in comparison with the extinct Metridiochoerus andrewsi and Notochoerus eulius." - Mauricio Antón 2006

Also, Divartsity's Collared Peccary seems to be selling well since he's offering them in different colour morphs! Wild, Eurithristic and Albino.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm

I think it is a good idea to use the Mojö model as a giant warthog. I only don't know if any of the species has moderately sized tusks or if they have all huge tusks. If they have, I think you'll probably need to perform some dentist work.

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 4:32 pm

Added the Schleich Warthog into my collection, and it displays perfectly with the Mojo "Metridiochoerus". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Fitting that the Mojo giant Warthog has more impressive tusks, since fossil remains of the extinct Metridiochoerus shows such a trait. I feel like this pair displays far better than the overly cartoonish and poorly proportioned Geoworld Metridiochoerus.
"Comparision of Metridiochoerus and Hylochoerus skulls"

Geoworld Metridiochoerus

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 5:32 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Oh wow, there is quite a size difference between them, I can see why you've upgraded one to a different species!

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 8:04 pm

I surely enjoy more and more the idea of the Mojö warthog acting as a Metridiochoeru. Especially considering the figures you already have. It is not even debatable, the Mojö warthog looks more like a serious Metridiochoerus than the funny Geoworld model. Geoworld is relatively recent but their design reminds me 1980's and 1990's figures with that evident cartoon expression. However, it is also an interesting figure, nobody did it and it is charming.
Do you intend to expand your collection to entelodonts? They're closer to hippos than pigs but they're traditionally regarded as terrible pigs. affraid

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 11:26 pm

George wrote:
Oh wow, there is quite a size difference between them, I can see why you've upgraded one to a different species!
Indeed! And since the Mojo one is only labeled as simply "Warthog", I feel even more comfortable substituting it as the titular Giant Warthog.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Roger wrote:
I surely enjoy more and more the idea of the Mojö warthog acting as a Metridiochoeru. Especially considering the figures you already have. It is not even debatable, the Mojö warthog looks more like a serious Metridiochoerus than the funny Geoworld model. Geoworld is relatively recent but their design reminds me 1980's and 1990's figures with that evident cartoon expression. However, it is also an interesting figure, nobody did it and it is charming.
Do you intend to expand your collection to entelodonts? They're closer to hippos than pigs but they're traditionally regarded as terrible pigs. affraid
With this new revelation, any plans to add both the Mojo "Metridiochoerus" and Schleich Phacochoerus into your suid collection Roger? Wink

And as a prehistorics collector, of course I have a couple (well, two) Entelodonts in my collection. One being Entelodon itself, though a rather crude one admittedly. And the other being Doug's fantastic Daeodon, which barely eeks out the CollectA version with its more naturalistic and lifelike sculpt. I do wish another company will make an updated Entelodon; and certainly wouldn't mind other "hell pigs" like Archaeotherium with its elongate cheek bones.
Back to top Go down
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 11:31 pm

And speaking of extinct "pigs", I do wonder why there has yet to be figures or artisan models of extinct peccaries! The cheek bones on some of them almost resemble the equally bizarre Permian synapsid Estemmenosuchus mirabilis!

"Reconstructions of the heads of some extinct peccaries (Drawn by Velizar Simeonovski):
1st row,    left: Mckennahyus parisidut rai. right: Skinnerhyus shermerorum.
2nd row,   left: Protherohyus brachydontus. right: Macrogenis crassigenis.
3rd row,   left: Mylohyus fossilis. right: Prosthennops serus.
4th row,   left: Platygonus pearcei.
5th row,   left: Platygonus vetus. right: Platygonus compressus."
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 2:09 am

FlaffyRaptors wrote:
And speaking of extinct "pigs", I do wonder why there has yet to be figures or artisan models of extinct peccaries! The cheek bones on some of them almost resemble the equally bizarre Permian synapsid Estemmenosuchus mirabilis!

"Reconstructions of the heads of some extinct peccaries (Drawn by Velizar Simeonovski):
1st row,    left: Mckennahyus parisidut rai. right: Skinnerhyus shermerorum.
2nd row,   left: Protherohyus brachydontus. right: Macrogenis crassigenis.
3rd row,   left: Mylohyus fossilis. right: Prosthennops serus.
4th row,   left: Platygonus pearcei.
5th row,   left: Platygonus vetus. right: Platygonus compressus."

study study study study Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 3:07 pm

FlaffyRaptors wrote:

Roger wrote:
With this new revelation, any plans to add both the Mojo "Metridiochoerus" and Schleich Phacochoerus into your suid collection Roger? Wink

And as a prehistorics collector, of course I have a couple (well, two) Entelodonts in my collection. One being Entelodon itself, though a rather crude one admittedly. And the other being Doug's fantastic Daeodon, which barely eeks out the CollectA version with its more naturalistic and lifelike sculpt. I do wish another company will make an updated Entelodon; and certainly wouldn't mind other "hell pigs" like Archaeotherium with its elongate cheek bones.

I almost missed your posts. Sleep Yes, I plan to get Mojö Fun warthog and I also still miss the wild boar. Though, I think I don't need the new Schleich warthog. I have the old boar and the old Safari and I am still too much attached to them. I have the Mojö Daeodon, it was also released prior to CollectA's and Safari's which are both very good models but a single Daeodon is enough for me. Do you have the chance of showing me a comparison picture of the Mojö warthog with the Safari Daeodon? pig Idea

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 6:43 pm

Roger wrote:
FlaffyRaptors wrote:

Roger wrote:

I almost missed your posts. Sleep Yes, I plan to get Mojö Fun warthog and I also still miss the wild boar. Though, I think I don't need the new Schleich warthog. I have the old boar and the old Safari and I am still too much attached to them. I have the Mojö Daeodon, it was also released prior to CollectA's and Safari's which are both very good models but a single Daeodon is enough for me. Do you have the chance of showing me a comparison picture of the Mojö warthog with the Safari Daeodon? pig Idea

Unfortunately the bulk of my collection, including the Daeodon, is back home in Hong Kong. While every suid I've gotten so far has been acquired in the UK. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2022 1:31 am

FlaffyRaptors wrote:
Roger wrote:
FlaffyRaptors wrote:

Roger wrote:

Unfortunately the bulk of my collection, including the Daeodon, is back home in Hong Kong. While every suid I've gotten so far has been acquired in the UK. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Embarassed

Oh, no problem at all. It was just to see how they work together but you already helped me a lot with your pictures showing the Mojö warthog with other models.

PostSubject: Re: Pig breeds & Wild hogs   Pig breeds & Wild hogs - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pig breeds & Wild hogs
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3