Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

W.N. Frogs

Go down 
+3
SUSANNE
widukind
Jill
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 3:38 am

I saw that W.N. remains a mystery on TAW, but I found a few little frogs while sorting through my unmarked animals and I thought I would share them. I don't know if photos for TAW are desired or needed? I would love to know more about them if anyone knows anything!

They are the same series as the one on TAW, and in fact, I have the one there plus two more. Each one is marked W.N. Made in China and has a letter. The red and black frog is B, the blue and yellow frog is I, and the green and black frog is F.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Jill on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 7:33 am

I like these kind of chinese stuff.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 8:13 am

They are wonderful, and of brands that I never heard of before Very Happy

How big are they ?

I am sure they will be in TAW as soon as Roger sees them Wink

Jill

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 7:20 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
They are wonderful, and of brands that I never heard of before Very Happy

How big are they ?

I am sure they will be in TAW as soon as Roger sees them Wink

They are about the same size as most other series of plastic frogs, comparable to Club Earth and a little smaller than Play Visions. I will get some actual pictures of them with a size comparison.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 pm

Great, I was just writing about patterns on K&M topic and you open this thread unveiling some more information about a mistery called W.N.
To be fair, I believe I forgot to upload a few W.N. on TAW, it is boring when we don't have a plan. Though, since you noticed those letters, very important as I often insist, now it is easy to see that there's a set of poison dart frogs. We don't need the letters to suspect, we need them to confirm and to sort the figures.
Considering there is an "I" - 9th letter - likely it is a 12 figures set, up to letter "L". Something similar to the Club Earth Frogs to Go.
I believe the "F" is a three-striped dart frog while the red one is a strawberry.
Could you please provide individual pictures of them and I put them on TAW as Susanne suspected. Laughing
Oh, I am almost tempted to remove the Ja-Ru frog from this topic and turn it into a W.N. thread.

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 12:17 am

Roger wrote:

Could you please provide individual pictures of them and I put them on TAW as Susanne suspected. Laughing
Absolutely! I'm never sure which angle is best for frog figures, so here are two to pick from for each:

Red and black frog - B

Green and black frog - F

Blue and yellow frog - I

Quote :
Oh, I am almost tempted to remove the Ja-Ru frog from this topic and turn it into a W.N. thread.
I'll do it :) I'd love to see more if people have them!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 am

Thanks, I am sure there are more random colorful frogs marked W.N. among our friends' collections. I will also check mine if I find them.
The pair of pictures you provided for all models are more than enough. Though, if you ever take a single one, those from top are more efficient for figure and species identifications. Especially when the subject is about poison dart frogs.
I will need also someone to help me getting better species identifications. I am identifying the dark boy as a three-striped poison frog but it only has two strips, no? Laughing Also, both strawberry and deying dart frogs have color morphs very similar to the other two models.
They're now here!

Oophaga pumilio “Siquirres”
Also known as the Black jeans morph Laughing
Picture from "The Frog Lady"

Here a three-striped poison frog... it is not easy to count the strips. pale

Photo from zoogalaxy.net

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 1:52 am

To me those seem the closest we are likely to get with these frogs that are not very carefully designed. Wink The three-striped is actually much closer than I would expect! This one does not have the stripe down the middle.

They also seem to be three popular species choices for figures.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 11:42 am

Jill wrote:
To me those seem the closest we are likely to get with these frogs that are not very carefully designed. Wink The three-striped is actually much closer than I would expect! This one does not have the stripe down the middle.

They also seem to be three popular species choices for figures.

I was kind of half-joking about the three-striped poison frog. Wikipedia reads "Two yellowish-green lateral stripes run from the snout to the hind legs." Yes, two strips seems to be the standard for a species commonly called three-striped... Laughing What's for sure is that they are painted after real species and this is really great. Thanks to your topic, I am sure these neglected frogs will get some more atention.

Admin
SUSANNE

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 1:37 pm

Roger wrote:
..... Thanks to your topic, I am sure these neglected frogs will get some more atention.

tongue tongue cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 3:08 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:
..... Thanks to your topic, I am sure these neglected frogs will get some more atention.

tongue tongue cheers

Laughing Starting with me... it seems I've found one not in very good shape. Unfortunately I barely can't read it but I believe it is W.N. and letter [D]. Maybe I have to send it to someone with a better sight than mine. Wink
It looks so different from Jill's scratch It is also not easy to identify the species, maybe a black morph of Dendrobates auratus like this one..

Saarlooswolfhound

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 4:52 pm

I can confirm that my blue and yellow frog is marked with an "I" also.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 6:31 pm

The black sheep frog in the herd cheers
What a cute looking little feller !

Jill

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Oh wonderful, another one joins the crowd! Are the spots a very faded red or pink? Or are they more than one color?

Roger wrote:

I was kind of half-joking about the three-striped poison frog. Wikipedia reads "Two yellowish-green lateral stripes run from the snout to the hind legs."  Yes, two strips seems to be the standard for a species commonly called three-striped...
They should have just gone with "striped frog" and left it at that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 8:23 pm

Jill wrote:
Oh wonderful, another one joins the crowd! Are the spots a very faded red or pink? Or are they more than one color?

Do you mean those subtle bands? I have no idea about its color, it looks just glossy black but in fact it is somewhat more sophisticated. Can you see with this light? Maybe I can try a better photo tomorrow.
Yes, the poor frog is in played condition but he is somewhat special like a black sheep. cat cat Laughing

Admin
SUSANNE

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Ahhh! He has some grey spots ! Very Happy

Jill

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 4:17 am

Oh, it is actually quite a pretty little model with the gray markings! I have no idea what species he would be, haha, but I do like him very much! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 2:00 pm

Oh, now I am also really curious to know which other figures are part of this series. Laughing ... and this black frog with that subtle beautiness was here just forgoten. Since Paige confirmed her frog are marked with the same letter, we can take it as pieces of the same puzzle.
About the species of my black sheep I continue leaning towards (Dendrobates auratus", here another dark morph.

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Roger wrote:

About the species of my black sheep I continue leaning towards (Dendrobates auratus", here another dark morph.
Oh, yes, that's a pretty spot on match!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 6:16 pm

here are mine

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 12:21 am

For some reason there are no photos on that thread for me! scratch I would love to see what you have. bounce
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 12:24 am

Jill wrote:
For some reason there are no photos on that thread for me! scratch I would love to see what you have. bounce  

For me neither. They're gone, it is an old topic. Sad
I suspect that I received my W.N. frog from Andreas. If he could check his own models it would be fantastic.

George

Country/State : England

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 8:46 am

I have no frogs to contribute but I'm enjoying seeing them - whoever would've thought plastic frog collecting could be such an entertaining spectator sport!

Roger
Admin
Roger

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 1:22 pm

George wrote:
I have no frogs to contribute but I'm enjoying seeing them - whoever would've thought plastic frog collecting could be such an entertaining spectator sport!

lol! Actually they have more color names than all horses together. Wink

I think it is missing a size comparison picture to give an idea of what we're talking about. Very traditional size, I'd say.
Here the W.N. black sheep compared with the famous Schleich frog from the pet series. It is not identified on TAW, maybe Ranoidea caerulea?
... and the Play Visions red-eyed tree frog.

widukind

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs EmptySun Apr 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Roger wrote:
Jill wrote:

For me neither. They're gone, it is an old topic. Sad
I suspect that I received my W.N. frog from Andreas. If he could check his own models it would be fantastic.

STS problem

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

W.N. Frogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs Empty

Back to top Go down

W.N. Frogs
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next