Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

W.N. Frogs

Go down 
+3
SUSANNE
widukind
Jill
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

W.N. Frogs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 12:38 am

widukind wrote:
Roger wrote:
Jill wrote:
For some reason there are no photos on that thread for me! scratch I would love to see what you have. bounce  

For me neither. They're gone, it is an old topic. Sad
I suspect that I received my W.N. frog from Andreas. If he could check his own models it would be fantastic.

STS problem

Yes, STS and all free foruns as far as I know. That's the reason why we suggest people to use external image hosting services like
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 12:39 am

A few more. cheers These are marked in the same way, but I think they are from different sets because these have a different three-striped frog (he has, incredibly, three stripes Laughing). Both striped frogs have the same letter, which makes me think maybe the two sets are similar in their species choices. They are also, I think, marginally better quality than the first ones I had - at least in their paint jobs. I have a few more coming as well that also have duplicate species, so maybe with those I can sort of tell which ones go with each other.

Blue Poison Dart Frog - A
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Red-headed Poison Frog - B

Strawberry Poison Frog? - C

Strawberry Poison Frog? - D

Three-Striped Poison Frog - F

Comparison of the first set, the new set, and the Wing Mau Club Earth set.

W.N. and Wing Mau red-headed frog

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 am

Okay nevermind I found a very easy way to tell the sets apart, haha. Unpainted yellow bellies and painted bellies!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2022 1:36 am

Oh, something to have fun tomorrow!
D is a very common color morph of a strawberry dart frog but I've never seen C morph before. Is it brown with black spots? I enjoy that W.N. does not always choose the most colorful ones.
Could you tell me which ones are the yellow bellied? I know I can deduce but I'm too lazy. Wink

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 12:10 am

Roger wrote:

D is a very common color morph of a strawberry dart frog but I've never seen C morph before. Is it brown with black spots? I enjoy that W.N. does not always choose the most colorful ones.
It is a brownish purple with black spots and dark blue feet. I wasn't sure if it was a Strawberry Frog or not.  scratch

And some more came today! I thought I would have a version of the Blue Poison Frog for each set, but turns out I think this one is just a paint variation of the first. They are very much alike except one has dark paint on the belly and one has light. The other two new ones belong to the yellow belly club. I will include a photo of each group for sorting purposes!

Hard to tell in these photos, but the orange frog's stripes are actually dark blue and the green frog's spots are actually brown.

Orange variant Red Banded? - E

Green and Black? - G

Blue variation

Quote :
Could you tell me which ones are the yellow bellied? I know I can deduce but I'm too lazy. Wink

Since the only letter that overlaps is F, and both Fs are the same species, I am curious if any other species end up overlapping as well.

Here is the Yellow Belly set:
B, E, F, G, I

Here is the Painted Belly set:
A, B, C, D, F
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 2:09 am

Now we have two sets and it seems my black frog does not belong to them. Laughing
I enjoy your theory that the same letter may represent different morphs of the same species in both sets. Though, it is getting confuse as usual.
Your new orange frog really looks like a Lehmann's poison frog (orange version) as you identified.
About the green one with brown spots is probably another strawberry frog what is quite confusing but it can be another species, of course.
It looks to me like the Colon morph, known as Bocas del Drago.
I listed almost everything on TAW according with these two sets. Let's hope I don't forget the brownish purple frog meanwhile.

Picture by the FrogDaddy

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 2:12 am

By the way, isn't the left one of the blue poison frogs with unpainted belly but just with blue plastic instead of yellow?

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 2:56 am

Roger wrote:
By the way, isn't the left one of the blue poison frogs with unpainted belly but just with blue plastic instead of yellow?
It is very hard to tell! Maybe? There's no chips in the dark blue, so possibly it's the base color. That frog doesn't have quite the same texture as the yellow-belly frogs. It feels more like the painted-belly frogs, which are a slightly better quality feeling plastic (it's hard to explain). The two blue ones look so similar in all other ways (markings and color) that I just assume it was a change in how it was painted.

Looking at all those pictures together makes me realize I should have positioned my frogs all the same way for their photos. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Yes, I think you're right, the uniform blue frog looks more like my black frog. My model has a very glossy belly. It does not look at all like the yellow-bellied frogs. I remember having a few cheap sea figures with that unpainted yello plastic. It was a kind of rough and dry plastic quality, maybe less dense than usual, it also had a unpleasant smell .
My black frog has almost no smell and it is a heavy guy, 10g  what is more than my SH or PV frogs.
Meanwhile I added the brown frog on TAW and I think all your W.N. frogs are correctly listed.
It is amazing how your models  group nicely in two sets. I feel like my black frog does not belong to any of them. scratch

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2022 3:52 pm

I do think there must be three sets since yours is a D and there is already a D in the painted set, and yours does not belong to the unpainted set. Is it possible that one of the brown frog is the Blu Jean morph for that set, and the brighter/larger Blue Jean morph is a different set? Maybe the two Blue Dart Frogs are from these two sets. I guess there's no way to really know yet.

More and more mysteries instead of less. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2022 2:31 pm

Jill wrote:
I do think there must be three sets since yours is a D and there is already a D in the painted set, and yours does not belong to the unpainted set. Is it possible that one of the brown frog is the Blu Jean morph for that set, and the brighter/larger Blue Jean morph is a different set? Maybe the two Blue Dart Frogs are from these two sets. I guess there's no way to really know yet.

More and more mysteries instead of less. Laughing

Yes, this is surely one of the most misterious subjects I ever worked. We don't even know what W.N. stands for. Even searching online I can't find anything. Also, it has a copyright symbol contrarily to the S.H. models. S.H. is clearly the manufacturer marking and not the brand of the figure. Here, it looks W.N. is a brand too. Wing Mau models also have the WM (XX) marking without the copyright symbol because they were manufactured to other companies. It is also a mistery for me why Club Earth figures manufactured by Wing Mau are marked with the manufacturer stamp while Play Visions manufactured by Wing Mau do not identify the manufacturer. We have a similar thing with AAA figures. Almost all companies that sell AAA models have them marked but the versions sold by Wild Republic obliterated the AAA marking.
Oh, a dissertation about markings when the goal is to find all 5000 sets of W.N. frogs. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks to Roger and Kelly, I have a couple more W.N. frogs to add to the mystery. Very Happy

J - yellow belly

L - colored belly

C - glow in the dark!

I still am not sure how anything but the yellow bellies sorts out. I have noticed one other trend - some of the frogs with painted bellies have markings on the underside, and some do not. I don't know if that sorts them into a category or not. For example:

The two Strawberry frogs. Both have blue feet, only one has the blue on the underside:

The two Blue frogs. One has a solid dark blue underside, the other has painted legs:

If this were the case, I can see three different sets forming (four if you count the glow in the dark, ha!). Patterned bellies, Solid painted bellies, Unpainted yellow bellies. (The problem being, what if the frog wouldn't have patterns on its belly at all? I don't know what do about that). They would break down like this:

Unpainted Bellies:
B, E, F, G, I, J

Solid Painted Bellies:
A, C, D, F, L (I switched F and L in the photo, oops)

Patterned Bellies:
A, B, D
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 8:35 am

I like this cheap figures.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySat May 21, 2022 10:49 am

Likely you are right and those models with different finish quality are from different sets. W.N. is likely a global manufacturer like Toy Major, Shing Hing or Wing Mau. So, depending the custommer company specifications, they offer models with a different quality level which result in slightly different price ranges.

... I really wanted to list these models avoiding to call them just frogs, is anyone having acceptable species identifications even if it is not 100% accurate?

Jill wrote:
Thanks to Roger and Kelly, I have a couple more W.N. frogs to add to the mystery. Very Happy

J - yellow belly

L - colored belly

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 8:53 pm

While searching the Wild Republic catalogue, I found this, perhaps the origins of the yellow-bellied set? The dyeing frog caught my attention, it is the most easy to recognize, but I see others I recognize as well. Maybe not even all with yellow bellies (the 3rd and 5th on the top look a lot like the blue and black frogs). It is impossible to say for sure of course with such a small picture, but I would say I definitely recognize the J unpainted belly dyeing frog at least, as well as the orange and purple fatter one and the three-lined frog.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 10:50 pm

Oh, you might be right but this is something I cannot spot for sure. Laughing
I read a long time ago a report from Wild Republic about a legal action against a company which copied Wild Republic products. I can't find it anymore but I remember the brand being called World Nature or something like this. World Nature would work perfectly for W.N. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 11:24 pm

Oh that's interesting! World Nature is not easy to google specifically, as it's a very vague combination of words, but that would make sense for sure . . .
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 13, 2023 8:28 pm

I hope its ok I add to this topic... Here are some I recently got in a mixed frog lot off ebay. Any info on species from anyone?

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 pm

It is certainly okay to add, thank you for doing so! Are they all W.N. marked? There are some new ones in there! Maybe all of them! Nice!

The only one I can confidently offer a thought on species for, though, is the Dyeing Frog on the bottom left. The one next to it looks like another version of the Three-Striped Poison Frog.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 13, 2023 9:37 pm

Yes, each is marked WN and I will add photos of their bellies if they have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (unpainted). I might have some other W.N.s in my collection already and their photo shoot should be coming up soon anyway...

I am hopeless for species of frogs and models on wiki get moved around ALL THE TIME. I wonder if the orange one could be a mantella? the green and black one on the back right a mint poison dart? I agree on the dyeing dart and ai think I have another one in my collection already...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 14, 2023 11:45 am

I agree with your identifications and the number of color variations of these models seem to be endless.
The mantella can also be one of the strawberry dart frog morphs as well as the last one on the first row is probably a color morph of a mint poison dart frog.The blue one is one more blue poison dart frog. Other frogs I have no idea but it is intringuing why they released so many different colors. I would love to know more about the meaning of this series.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 5:41 am

Oke doke, here is their official photo shoot. Very Happy

So far I only have 1 painted belly.

Letters from top down and left to right are E, L, G, I, I, A, B, K, A.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 5:41 am

Oke doke, here is their official photo shoot. Very Happy

So far I only have 1 painted belly.

Letters from top down and left to right are E, L, G, I, I, A, B, K, A.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 4:50 pm

Nice! I think all of these but the dark blue belly and the second dyeing frog are new ones to me! Very Happy And honestly the dark blue belly one looks a little different than mine. I think the variations on these are endless as Roger says. I especially like the top right one. Do you mind if I use your photos for my search list?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 11:46 pm

Jill wrote:
Nice! I think all of these but the dark blue belly and the second dyeing frog are new ones to me! Very Happy And honestly the dark blue belly one looks a little different than mine. I think the variations on these are endless as Roger says. I especially like the top right one. Do you mind if I use your photos for my search list?

I think the dark blue is technically the same as yours despite a few random differences.

PostSubject: Re: W.N. Frogs   W.N. Frogs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

W.N. Frogs
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next