Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? Empty
PostSubject: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyMon 09 May 2022, 20:49

In 1998, the sacred year of the toy animal industry, McDonald's released several animal themed series. Among them an amazing series of pigs.
I noticed one of the breeds listed on TAW was missing on Domestic pig page and it happened to be the breed the curly-haired pig was listed.
Susanne added the picture and I added the information  but I don't know from where I got it.
It was listed as a Lincolnshire Curly Coat of England, a breed that is extinct for more than 50 years. On forum it was suggested to be a Mangalitsa, the breed of the CollectA hairy pig.
I think the figures were available to the German market, I am not sure. Lincolnshire Curly were already extinct in 1998 and Mangalitsa is not so hard to find in Germany.
It is now listed as a Mangalitsa but I would love to know your opinion or if there is an official source which suggested me to list it as a Lincolnshire Curly Coat.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyMon 09 May 2022, 20:59

I would agree with your assumption and call it a Mangalitsa as it is the only hairy pig breed and I doubt the would do an extinct pig breed?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyMon 09 May 2022, 21:49

I have the wild boar from this series and the SN 03 marking is intringuing. Suine number? Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thebritfarmer wrote:
I would agree with your assumption and call it a Mangalitsa as it is the only hairy pig breed and I doubt the would do an extinct pig breed?

Yes, the only chance I see is that they used an old book as reference to choose the breeds of this series. Web was already relatively common but it was not a source as commonly used as today.

FlaffyRaptors

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyWed 11 May 2022, 17:16

The wooly pig could probably stand in as either breed. Regardless, I'm surprised there had been a second plastic model of a wooly pig breed made at all!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyWed 11 May 2022, 21:38

FlaffyRaptors wrote:
The wooly pig could probably stand in as either breed. Regardless, I'm surprised there had been a second plastic model of a wooly pig breed made at all!

Yes probably there is no obvious differences between both breeds. This one was released 16 years before the CollectA model what is more surprising. The size is also good at least taking my wild boar as reference since it is slightly larger than a Schleich wild boar but noticiably smaller than a Mojö wild boar.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptyThu 12 May 2022, 21:09

I would be inclined to go with the Mangalitsa especially if the model was released for the continental market.As remarked before can't see them releasing an extinct pig breed and especially a woolly coated and little known like the Lincolnshire Curly coat.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? EmptySat 14 May 2022, 21:56

I am glad I moved it to Mangalitsa since most of you agree. I had never seen before a sheep like pig and probably I googled when opening the pig breed pages and it was the Lincolnshire Curly coat I encountered. I surely have not considered another sheep pig existed. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?   Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which breed of hairy pig is this model, please?
Page 1 of 1