Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)

Go down 
+7
Caracal
Bonnie
Jill
George
Saarlooswolfhound
SUSANNE
Concavenator
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Concavenator

Concavenator

Country/State : Spain

Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) Empty
PostSubject: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 4:10 am

Hello and welcome to my collection thread!  Very Happy

In this first post I will explain my collecting rules, what my posts here are about, and I will include 2 lists, one that features all figures in my collection and another one that includes my paleontology themed books. Both are updated as I get new acquisitions. And every once in a while I show my collection setup to see how it evolves.

1. Collecting rules

- Scientific accuracy is my main criterion. If there are several figures available of a certain animal I’m interested in, I tend to favor the most accurate version. And if I don’t consider a figure accurate enough, then it’s a skip for me.

- Related to the previous point, I don’t buy figures of inaccurate pop-culture representations of prehistoric creatures, nor do I buy kaiju, dragon, monster figures and related, either. Only scientifically accurate figures of prehistoric animals.

- 1 figure per genus. If I’m interested in a figure of a genus I already have, the previous version has to go.

- I generally avoid getting figures of taxa known from fragmentary remains.

- I’m usually interested in collecting just some specific taxa.

- I’m not a completist, be it company wise or clade wise.

2. Posts

Figures from my collection are featured here. I include the following information about them:

Binomial name:
Name etymology:
Classified as:
Period:
Fossils found in:

Company:
Line:
Sculptor:
Based on:
Variant:
Color scheme inspired by:
Year of release:

Figures are individually reviewed. For each figure, I include an introductory section to the taxon with general information taken from the literature. Afterwards, I share my thoughts on the model.

When it comes to books, I include:

Name:
Author/s:
Publishing house:
Year of publication:

Followed by my thoughts/opinions on them.

Whenever I use any art (that’s not mine), I reference the respective artist/s.

3. Collection List: UPDATED 24/4/2024

Non-dinosaurs

Mosasaurus hoffmannii - CollectA, Deluxe (2023)

Ornithischians

Borealopelta markmitchelli - CollectA, Standard (2019)
Chasmosaurus belli - HAOLONGGOOD (2024)
Diabloceratops eatoni - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2013)
Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis - PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models (2021)
Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2014)
Stegosaurus stenops - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2019)
Styracosaurus albertensis - PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models (2022)
Tlatolophus galorum - Ancestors Models, Archosaur Collection (2023)

Sauropodomorphs and herrerasaurids

Diplodocus carnegii - Eofauna (2022)
Shunosaurus lii - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2016)

Theropods

Anzu wyliei - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2018)
Beipiaosaurus inexpectus - Safari Ltd, Carnegie Collection (2006)
Concavenator corcovatus - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2020)
Dilophosaurus wetherilli - HAOLONGGOOD (2023)
Microraptor zhaoianus - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2017)
Qianzhousaurus sinensis - Safari Ltd, Wild Safari (2020)
Velociraptor mongoliensis - Creative Beast Studio, Beasts of the Mesozoic Raptor Series (2022)

4. Library: UPDATED 4/7/2022

Brusatte, S. (2019). Auge y caída de los dinosaurios. Debate.
Molina-Pérez, R., & Larramendi, A. (2020). Dinosaur facts and figures: the sauropods and other sauropodomorphs. Princeton.
Dixon, D. (2010). La enciclopedia ilustrada de los dinosaurios y otros animales prehistóricos. Ediciones Omega.
Molina-Pérez, R., & Larramendi, A. (2016). Récords y curiosidades de los dinosaurios terópodos y otros dinosauromorfos. Larousse.
Parker, T. (2021). Saurian: a field guide to Hell Creek. Titan Books.

5. Collection Setup: UPDATED 7/1/2023

7/1/2023

Last edited by Concavenator on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 pm; edited 99 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/5aurophaganax
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 4:57 am

Very nice collection, and a joy to see shelves that arent't as crowded as many others ( also mine Embarassed ) Applause Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 10:31 am

Welcome from Dresden

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Very interesting collection with some remarkable models. It is also nice to see some diversity in terms of makers, especially when you have a relatively small number of figures. Isn't the Eofauna Diplodocus in your cogitations?

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyThu May 12, 2022 10:21 am

Thanks everyone for stopping by and posting!

Roger wrote:
Very interesting collection with some remarkable models. It is also nice to see some diversity in terms of makers, especially when you have a relatively small number of figures. Isn't the Eofauna Diplodocus in your cogitations?

It definitely is! Actually, I sold the Carnegie one because of it lol. I limit my collection to 1 figure per genus. I’m a very chill collector but I plan to get it sometime this year.

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 9:30 am

Here’s a really nice book:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Name: La enciclopedia ilustrada de los dinosaurios y otros animales prehistóricos
Author/s: Dougal Dixon
Publishing house: Ediciones Omega
Year of publication: 2010

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:46 am; edited 18 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 am

So far I like what I see. :) Excellent collection thus far!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am

Surely less accurate but Bullyland released an Ichthyosaurus almost 10 years before than Safari. I remember seeing it locally and thinking how cool it was to see this kind of creature in toy shape. Now they're much more common but I think it is fair to recall how important was Bullyland 20 years ago. By the way, Bullyland also released a Megaloceros for the same series but obviously this Papo model is much more spectacular. Some of our members repainted the Papo Megaloceros, you can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] even if the inspiration is not exactly a scientific one.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 11:28 am

Concavenator wrote:
I think Papo did a good job with this one overall. It would totally benefit from a repaint, especially one that would show its true colours, as they are known

I love the Papo Megaloceros, and did exactly this with my one - he's now repainted based on cave art.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Really interesting to see how you've decided to create your collection. I love learning what appeals to people and what "rules" (or lack of rules) they have in place. It's so unique with each person.
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyMon Jun 27, 2022 5:17 am

Thank you everyone!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yeah, the Papo Megaloceros is a prime candidate for a repaint, no doubt about that. I plan to have it repainted at some point (as my painting skills are null) in order to it reflecting its true colours. That said, if anyone else releases a Megaloceros figure with accurate colouration, I might as well replace this Papo and save me the effort of having it repainted… Rolling Eyes And those repaints look spectacular! That goes to show how much better this figure would have been if its paint app was better…

Name: Dinosaur facts and figures: the sauropods and other sauropodomorphs
Author/s: Rubén-Molina Pérez & Asier Larramendi
Publishing house: Princeton
Year of publication: 2020

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 am; edited 20 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyMon Jun 27, 2022 9:15 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 7:55 am

Binomial name: Stegosaurus stenops (Marsh, 1877)
Name etymology: “Narrow-faced roof lizard” (Greek)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Ornithischia -> Genasauria -> Thyreophora -> Stegosauria -> Stegosauridae -> Stegosaurinae
Period: Late Jurassic (Kimmeridgian - Tithonian)
Fossils found in: Morrison Formation, present day USA (North America)

Company: Safari Ltd.
Line: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Based on: NHMUK PV R36730 “Sophie”
Year of release: 2019

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 am; edited 24 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am

Excellent again! It always blows me away to think about how BIG some of those sauropods really are...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 5:08 pm

Very interesting video about the Borealopelta. At least this reconstruction might not be so far from the real creature. I like that it looks somewhat like a pangolin. Laughing

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 8:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it’s kinda amazing, they were (in general) so much bigger than any extant animal, at least land-dwelling ones. They’re part of why I like dinosaurs so much, they were real, living creatures, yet very different from anything alive today, and I find that very interesting. That said, their sizes are often exaggerated. Media often do this, especially when new species are announced, or even some books (I still remember reading about the 60 m long Maraapunisaurus…). If you’re interested in knowing more about sauropods, I recommend you check out Eofauna’s sauropod book. It’s fairly updated (published in 2020) and includes accurate/corrected measurements for the species.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yeah, with the knowledge we have about this animal, reconstructing it isn’t that far off compared to reconstructing any living animal. Cool

Name: Saurian: a field guide to Hell Creek
Author/s: Tom Parker
Publishing house: Titan Books
Year of publication: 2021

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:32 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 am

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 8:45 am

*deleted*

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:21 am; edited 16 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 am

Excellent models again!

Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 7:20 am

Thank you!

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySat Jul 02, 2022 6:00 am

*deleted*

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:08 am; edited 21 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySat Jul 02, 2022 6:25 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jul 03, 2022 7:22 am

Binomial name: Microraptor zhaoianus (Xu et al., 2000)
Name etymology: ” Zhao’s small robber” (Greek and Latin)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Theropoda -> Neotheropoda -> Averostra -> Tetanurae -> Coelurosauria -> Tyrannoraptora -> Maniraptoromorpha -> Neocoelurosauria -> Maniraptoriformes -> Maniraptora -> Pennaraptora -> Paraves -> Eumaniraptora -> Deinonychosauria -> Dromaeosauridae -> Microraptorinae
Period: Early Cretaceous (Aptian)
Fossils found in: Jiufotang Formation, present day China (Asia)

Sculptor: ? Not Doug Watson
Color scheme inspired by: Microraptor zhaoianus Xu et al. 2000 BMNHC PH881
Year of release: 2017

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 am; edited 21 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptySun Jul 03, 2022 8:16 am

This is a really thorough and perfectly presented tour of your collection! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) EmptyMon Jul 04, 2022 4:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you!  Very Happy

Some more coelurosaurs:

Binomial name: Anzu wyliei (Lamanna et al., 2014)
Name etymology: “Wylie’s Anzu” (a feathered demon in Mesopotamian mythology) (Sumerian and Assyrian)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Theropoda -> Neotheropoda -> Averostra -> Tetanurae -> Coelurosauria -> Tyrannoraptora -> Maniraptoromorpha -> Neocoelurosauria -> Maniraptoriformes -> Maniraptora -> Pennaraptora -> Oviraptorosauria -> Caenagnathoidea -> Caenagnathidae
Period: Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian)
Fossils found in: Hell Creek Formation, present day USA (North America)

Sculptor: ? Not Doug Watson
Color scheme inspired by: Anzu wyliei Lamanna et al. 2014 by Elia Smaniotto
Year of release: 2018

Review:

Spoiler:

Binomial name: Beipiaosaurus inexpectus (Xu et al., 1999)
Name etymology: “Unexpected lizard from Beipiao” (Greek and Latin)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Theropoda -> Neotheropoda -> Averostra -> Tetanurae -> Coelurosauria -> Tyrannoraptora -> Maniraptoromorpha -> Neocoelurosauria -> Maniraptoriformes -> Maniraptora -> Therizinosauria -> Therizinosauroidea
Period: Early Cretaceous (Barremian - Aptian)
Fossils found in: Yixian Formation, present day China (Asia)

Line: Carnegie Collection
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Year of release: 2006

Review:

Spoiler:

And finally (and fittingly!) this great book about theropods:

Name: Récords y curiosidades de los dinosaurios terópodos y otros dinosauromorfos.
Author/s: Rubén Molina-Pérez & Asier Larramendi
Publishing house: Larousse
Year of publication: 2016

Review:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Concavenator on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:08 am; edited 28 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024) Empty

Back to top Go down

Concavenator’s Collection (new 18/4/2024)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next