Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

African Rhino

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
thebritfarmer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 4:05 am

What do you do when your Rhino has lost an ear? Create a new one of course. I have never sculpted anything before. The ear does look a little larger in the photo but in reality it is not all that noticeable and he will be fine once mixed in wiAfrican Rhino 28688710
African Rhino 28683510
African Rhino 28673710
th the rest of the zoo figures.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 4:07 am

All completed and painted. I was worried that I couldn't match the paint but it appears to look ok so I am pleased with the results.

African Rhino 28651910
African Rhino 28677210
African Rhino 28664310
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 8:14 am

Hurraaay !!! A black rhino's life was saved cheers

It is a beautyful model ! What brand is he ? Britains ? study

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 pm

I have a huge admiration for people who is able of restoring these figures. There's a kind of rejection feeling when we have a figure with a broken part but that's not correct. What you did is the right thing and I hope this is a perfect start for you to give this dignity back to other models with small defects.
Your rhino looks wonderful. Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 2:23 pm

You did a great job!!!

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 5:20 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 5:51 pm

That you everyone, for a first attempt I think it turned out good. Yes he is a Britains Rhino Susanne.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 pm

It looks really good, as you say the size difference is noticeable in close up from the front, but when viewed at a distance or a normal side view the replacement ear blends in just fine, and is a definite improvement on not having one at all! The paint matching is good, both the colour mixing and the simple application of the grey to copy the way Britains are given their details.

A tip if you want to get a closer size match on any future ears, without having to train your fingers into really refined miniature sculpting, what I do is sculpt one roughly right but allow it to be a little bit bigger and thicker than the end result I'm after.
Once the stuff is set hard, I use a little sandpaper or nail file to gently remove some of the material at the top and back of the ear, til it's reduced down to be a much closer match to the width and thickness of the original ear. You could also try using a small scalpel or craft knife, but have to be careful as the pressure needed might be enough to snap the putty off the plastic!

Also works for missing limbs, I've done legs on Britains-scale horses by sculpting them roughly first, then sanding and carving til they're as slim and detailed as the real ones.

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 6:25 pm

George wrote:
It looks really good, as you say the size difference is noticeable in close up from the front, but when viewed at a distance or a normal side view the replacement ear blends in just fine, and is a definite improvement on not having one at all! The paint matching is good, both the colour mixing and the simple application of the grey to copy the way Britains are given their details.

A tip if you want to get a closer size match on any future ears, without having to train your fingers into really refined miniature sculpting, what I do is sculpt one roughly right but allow it to be a little bit bigger and thicker than the end result I'm after.
Once the stuff is set hard, I use a little sandpaper or nail file to gently remove some of the material at the top and back of the ear, til it's reduced down to be a much closer match to the width and thickness of the original ear. You could also try using a small scalpel or craft knife, but have to be careful as the pressure needed might be enough to snap the putty off the plastic!

Also works for missing limbs, I've done legs on Britains-scale horses by sculpting them roughly first, then sanding and carving til they're as slim and detailed as the real ones.

Thanks very much for the tips George. I did try and pare some of the material away with my craft knife but it was pretty hard and I worried about snapping it. I never even thought about sanding it DUH !! Oh well we live and learn, next time !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

African Rhino Empty
PostSubject: Re: African Rhino   African Rhino Empty

Back to top Go down

African Rhino
Page 1 of 1