Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Funrise Dinosaurs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyWed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm

A few days ago, I told you that I found two Funrise Dinosaurs in their original card on Ebay: the Dimetrodon and the Psittacosaurus. Here they are, with my Funrise Whooly Mammoth, found in a flea market back in 2004 (the tusks were missing, so I made it new ones with rubber-covered metal wire). Here they are. I am showing you the blister card as well. All of them are on TAW.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 1:27 am

Those blister cards are a treasure.
I wonder if these molds are by Toy Major as the early horses.

Bowhead Whale

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 8:29 pm

Roger wrote:

I don't know. I guess it depends on which is the oldest. Thre Funrise mammoth is a remake of the Invicta mammoth, no question about that. My Funrise mammoth is marked 1988 and my two dinosaurs are marked 1991. When did Toy Major release its own ones?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyThu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

I don't know. I guess it depends on which is the oldest. Thre Funrise mammoth is a remake of the Invicta mammoth, no question about that. My Funrise mammoth is marked 1988 and my two dinosaurs are marked 1991. When did Toy Major release its own ones?

I don't know corresponding Toy Major figures for this dino set. I only know the horses and I am cogitating about it. Though, I think the 1987 Playskool Psittacosaurus has a similar design.

Bowhead Whale

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyFri Jul 08, 2022 9:10 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

I don't know corresponding Toy Major figures for this dino set. I only know the horses and I am cogitating about it. Though, I think the 1987 Playskool Psittacosaurus has a similar design.

Not exactly: the Playschool Psittacosaurus has its beak a little open and its head pulled forward; the Funrise one has a closed beak and its head is held high, on a vertical neck.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptySat Jul 09, 2022 12:03 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

Not exactly: the Playschool Psittacosaurus has its beak a little open and its head pulled forward; the Funrise one has a closed beak and its head is held high, on a vertical neck.

I was not suggesting they're the same mold, just similar interpretations but you're right, they're different enough to discard any direct connection.

Bowhead Whale

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 9:16 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

I was not suggesting they're the same mold, just similar interpretations but you're right, they're different enough to discard any direct connection.

That is because they were sculpted somewhere in the 1980's. At that time, the concept of "kangaroo-like" posture among two-legged dinosaurs was still considered as the right interpretation. It is when it was noticed that the ligaments attachments of the tail of iguanodon tail could not have given dinosaurs the necessary flexibility to their tails to bend that way and for dinosaurs to remain in that position, that dinosaurs stopped being represented like that in books and toys.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 1:33 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

That is because they were sculpted somewhere in the 1980's. At that time, the concept of "kangaroo-like" posture among two-legged dinosaurs was still considered as the right interpretation. It is when it was noticed that the ligaments attachments of the tail of iguanodon tail could not have given dinosaurs the necessary flexibility to their tails to bend that way and for dinosaurs to remain in that position, that dinosaurs stopped being represented like that in books and toys.

Yes, you're right. That's one of the fascinating points of collecting vintage dinosaur figures. Instead of seeing them as silly and outdated figures, it is much nicer to see them as traditional representations of their time, whether it is for scientific knowledge or just popular culture.

Bowhead Whale

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs EmptyTue Jul 19, 2022 8:41 pm

Like you pointed out in the Imperial creatures topic, collecting vintage dinosaur toys is a good way to study the evolution of paleaonthology. The year of production shows how those animals were represented at that time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Funrise Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funrise Dinosaurs   Funrise Dinosaurs Empty

Back to top Go down

Funrise Dinosaurs
Page 1 of 1