Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog comparisons thread

Go down 
+4
Roger
Taos
Bonnie
Spoonbill
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Spoonbill

Country/State : France

papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 9:54 pm

Roger wrote:
Very useful picture and if it is your entire collection of dogs, it is quite similar to what I'm planning. I see you have a few Papo dogs I still miss like the Neapolitan and German Mastiffs but apparently you missed the Weimaraner which would go nicely in your collection.

I've finally decided to go for full completism with all the most famous/distinctive breeds now I have this new very useful display that prevents these numerous dogs to make a mess in my flat, so this collection is not finished but close to, I currently have the old Schleich sitting bernese and the Schleich yorkshire on their way, and I'm considering the Papo Brittany dog although it's quite big, and the Papo newfoundsland although I find its face silly.

The Weimaraner is quite a rare one, I had an opportunity long ago but I was way more picky at that time and passed on it which was a mistake.

There are also a few New Ray on my display, namely the short-haired daschund and the king Charles they were part of a lot including other main brand dogs I wanted but proved to be unexpectedly good, the king Charles especially is smaller than the oversized Papo which is anyway impossible to find (even rarer than the Weimaraner).

What I'm most missing are doberman and rottweiler though, no model is satisfying IMO.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 11:53 pm

I agree about the Doberman and Rottweiler, it is hard to find a satisfying one. I don't know if you already told but what's the brand of the Papillon dog between the Scottish on top?

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 8:15 am

Roger wrote:
I agree about the Doberman and Rottweiler, it is hard to find a satisfying one. I don't know if you already told but what's the brand of the Papillon dog between the Scottish on top?

This is not a papillon but a chihuahua and I don't have the slightest idea of what brand it is, I randomly found it on Vinted in my quest to find a chihuahua that would be both good and small enough to scale with the others and then repainted it.

For doberman, I've spotted this pair but, well, that's resin. There's little chance a main brand releases one of these breeds soon, they are not "fashionable" breeds.

Before asking you I was told it is a Chihuahua but stubbornly I called it a Papillon. Can you share a closer picture of it? Aren't the New-Ray Chihuahuas of a good size?
About those resin Dobermans, they're really good, you can find on AliExpress pvc copies of JKX models. I'm not supposed to recommend them if they really are copies but maybe you can take a look. Obviously they're not so nicely painted. My Dogo Argentino is a polystone model but I really get nervous handling figures with those materials.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 9:07 pm

Great collection!!

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 12:09 am

Spoonbill wrote:
Roger wrote:

This is not a papillon but a chihuahua and I don't have the slightest idea of what brand it is, I randomly found it on Vinted in my quest to find a chihuahua that would be both good and small enough to scale with the others and then repainted it.

For doberman, I've spotted this pair but, well, that's resin. There's little chance a main brand releases one of these breeds soon, they are not "fashionable" breeds.

Before asking you I was told it is a Chihuahua but stubbornly I called it a Papillon. Can you share a closer picture of it? Aren't the New-Ray Chihuahuas of a good size?
About those resin Dobermans, they're really good, you can find on AliExpress pvc copies of JKX models. I'm not supposed to recommend them if they really are copies but maybe you can take a look. Obviously they're not so nicely painted. My Dogo Argentino is a polystone model but I really get nervous handling figures with those materials.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]picture upload
Back to top Go down
Spoonbill

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 12:24 am

From this video I would say that the New Ray chihuahuas are the size of any small dog from major brands like yorkshire or bichon so definitely not small enough to my taste. Of course 3-4 kg chihuahuas exist but this is the smallest breed on average and that size difference has to be obvious within a collection aiming at representing the distinctive features of each breed IMO.

I found a replica of the rottweiler JXK model on Aliexpress thanks to your post, but then I had a problem with paypal and now I don't feel so confident about paying on that site...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am

You're taking the size proportions far more seriously than I do. That's great! Thanks for that picture of David and Goliath, I initially thought it could be the Wing Mau Papillon you can see on picture below but it is obviously not.
That video is also interesting. I think I will go for a New-Ray Chihuahua since I'm not so picky about sizes. I like their fragile appearance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 4:56 pm

With regards to the New Ray King Charles spaniel and the Papo Cavalier King Charles they are 2 separate breeds with the Cavalier on average being larger than the King Charles.Also the King Charles is a much rarer breed than the Cavalier and in the USA the King Charles is called an English Toy Spaniel.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 pm

This photo is not mine. It is from the biggest? collection of dog figures in the world.
Here we can see Papo Great Dane and New-Ray Chihuahuas.

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2023 9:45 pm

Roger wrote:
You're taking the size proportions far more seriously than I do. That's great! Thanks for that picture of David and Goliath, I initially thought it could be the Wing Mau Papillon you can see on picture below but it is obviously not.
That video is also interesting. I think I will go for a New-Ray Chihuahua since I'm not so picky about sizes. I like their fragile appearance.

Well, David and Goliath are actually friends in my dog personal lore, I had started to write a story about this chihuahua investigating on the murder of the dog show Afghan hound "princess" and this great dane was hired as his bodyguard despite he is afraid of everything like Scouby-Doo. The CollectA exotic shorthair cat was some kind of mob kingpin poisonning young dogs with his chocolate drug (you have to know that chocolate is really harmful to dogs' heart), the Safari bulldog some corrupted commissionner hiding a secret, the Papo St-Bernard was the dogs' president, physically stronger than anyone else but politically weak, the basset hound some populist far right ideologist accusing cats of everything, the Papo mastiff was the leader of an underground ring of anarchist (understand "anti-domestication") ring of fight dogs, the Kitan shiba an arrogant social media star and so on... Unfortunately, I never managed to finish it and find how to make the story leave the wrong track of the cat mob and illegal dog fights to reach its conclusion of the retired army German sheperd being the murderer because of his PTSD from Afghanistan where he served...

In any case, you won't find another chihuahua like mine I think so go ahead for the New-rays despite the paintjob can be much improved.

Taos wrote:
With regards to the New Ray King Charles spaniel and the Papo Cavalier King Charles they are 2 separate breeds with the Cavalier on average being larger than the King Charles.Also the King Charles is a much rarer breed than the Cavalier and in the USA the King Charles is called an English Toy Spaniel.

Thanks for that explanation, I absolutely ignored that. So you mean that the New-ray and Papo figures fit together sizewise if I understand well ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2023 9:58 am

Are you reading George Orwell books? affraid Laughing

I'm also interested in Taos' comments about Spaniels.
So to clear it up since New-Ray USA dogs are not identified, this Spaniel is not a Cavalier but a King Charles instead?

Actually it was originally identified as a Toy Spaniel. IF this one is a toy Spaniel, it won't work with the Papo which is a Cavalier and it is much smaller when it was supposed the Cavalier to be larger.

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Roger wrote:
Are you reading George Orwell books? affraid Laughing

I'm also interested in Taos' comments about Spaniels.
So to clear it up since New-Ray USA dogs are not identified, this Spaniel is not a Cavalier but a King Charles instead?

Actually it was originally identified as a Toy Spaniel. IF this one is a toy Spaniel, it won't work with the Papo which is a Cavalier and it is much smaller when it was supposed the Cavalier to be larger.

No, this one is much smaller than the Papo and toy spaniel is also smaller than Cavalier king Charles so it's allright.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2023 10:19 pm

Great, thanks! I even fixed it on TAW, I thought that dog was much larger.I probably didn't know about the different breeds when I edited it on TAW and moved it to the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel when it is a King Charles Spaniel instead. Laughing I hope to learn a little more about dog breeds as long as I keep collecting them.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2023 10:29 pm

Taos wrote:

Thank you for teaching us! I didn't know this. I will have to update my records now.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 7:56 pm

Glad to be of help.I think the confusion arises in that the Cavalier here in the UK is a lot of the time is shortened to King Charles which causes confusion.The New Ray model is actually a very good model of an English Toy Spaniel as this colour is the commonest and is actually called Prince Charles-the others are Blenheim,Ruby and black/tan.Also this breed can have a shorten tail-either naturally or docked and this is evident in the New Ray model.The Cavalier always has a natural long tail.
Here are the two together.Incidently the colour range in the Cavalier is the same as above
The Papo model is a very good representation of a Cavalier and again it is done in the commonest colour-Blenheim aka red/white
Judging from what I can see on the internet,English Toy Spaniels are seen more in the USA hence it would only be natural for New Ray to make this model being an American company.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 10:52 pm

Exactly Taylor and thanks for your imput. On TAW, Susanne provided the picture identifying it correctly as an English Toy Spaniel, while checking the Wikipedia page for the breed it was called King Charles Spaniel. As we already had a page for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I assumed it was a shortened name for the breed. They're not so different looking for someone unexperient about dogs as I am but with your tips I will certainly avoid future mistakes.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 3:04 pm

No problem,Roger.
Here is a pic of the 2 models with another unknown model of a Cavalier King Charles

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 5:57 pm

Thank you very much for the info Taylor. :) study

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Spoonbill

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 6:53 pm

Do you know why the Papo cavalier is so much rarer than all the other ones ?

I added two newcomers, will you guess which ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 8:28 pm

Your two new commers are the little dog next to the Spaniel, is it a Yorkshire Terrier? It is also the Bernese Mountain dog on the lower row.
The Papo Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is very rare because it lasted only two years in catalogue and I'm convinced the sales were not as good as the Harry Potter dog.
Thanks Taylor for one more useful picture. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Roger wrote:
Your two new commers are the little dog next to the Spaniel, is it a Yorkshire Terrier? It is also the Bernese Mountain dog on the lower row.
The Papo Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is very rare because it lasted only two years in catalogue and I'm convinced the sales were not as good as the Harry Potter dog.

The mastiff is not especially common, I would even say it's among the rare ones. The most common are newfoundsland, dalmatian, German sheperd, bulldog, border collie...

Yes it's a Schleich yorkshire, a pretty insignificant figure yet not bad and I'm going for full completism now so it's a main breed I had to own. I just bought the Papo brittany spaniel ten minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 11:32 pm

Spoonbill wrote:
Roger wrote:

The mastiff is not especially common, I would even say it's among the rare ones. The most common are newfoundsland, dalmatian, German sheperd, bulldog, border collie...

Yes it's a Schleich yorkshire, a pretty insignificant figure yet not bad and I'm going for full completism now so it's a main breed I had to own. I just bought the Papo brittany spaniel ten minutes ago.

I was not suggesting the Neapolitan Mastiff to be easy to find. It is actually considered for most the 2nd most difficult Papo dog after the Weimaraner. The Cavalier is also hard to find but it is not as sought after as the other two since it is a less unusual breed. From these three I only have the Weimaraner. Papo figures, after being retired, turn easily hard to find. I can't find, for example, the great dane although I'm only searching locally but it shouldn't be so difficult to find.
I'm glad you're going for the Epagneul Bretton, it is a very beautiful piece. I'm convinced soon or later you will get the Terranova even if you don't like it so much.
Maybe the Schleich Yorkshire gained your preference because of its size. CollectA's model is tiny and Safari's is much larger.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 12:42 am

Spoonbill wrote:
Spoonbill wrote:
Roger wrote:

Is this one your Chihuahua? Wink

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 26, 2023 8:44 pm

Update with Brittany spaniel
Back to top Go down
Spoonbill

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2024 4:42 pm

Update
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog comparisons thread   papo - Dog comparisons thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog comparisons thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next