Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unbranded dingo?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 1:06 am

Always keeping my eye out for them, I saw this guy advertised as a dingo. Do we know anything about it? It is labeled as unbranded. I think it would be very cool if it was indeed meant to be a dingo, because it represents one of the other color morphs seen in the wild (loosely). However, I can easily believe it is also just a mislabeled dog. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 3:06 am

Unless its a copy, it is this.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Could pass as few different dog species, Dingo isn't a bad moniker for it. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 9:45 am

Yes, Nayab

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 10:58 am

I have this model but in a different colour. Smile

Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 4:18 pm

I think it has a few different color versions depending on the manufacturer. I think I have both colors shown here now. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 4:21 pm

Thank you all! I will add him to my dingo list, then. Especially in the tan he is convincing enough. :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm

Nayab marketed this model as a wolf and the other wolf like figure as a jackal. Though, it is known that Nayab misidentified a good number of figures of this series.
Also, Nayab molds are sold to other companies and painted according to the species the company wants to represent. It means that there's not a definitive identification to some of the figures which mold can be used to represent different species. A good example is the tiger mold also known as a leopard.
Before knowing the official identifications, we identified this model as a jackal while the other was identified as a wolf instead. Laughing Also, the figure Nayab identifies as a jackal is clearly inspired on a wolf draw known from a book. Laughing
We were never satisfied with the identification of this figure as a wolf, we're even identifying it on TAW as an Ethiopian wolf which is also known as a red jackal. Honestly, it surely does not look like a traditional grey wolf. So, it can be identified easily as a dingo and if dingos were my collecting subject, I would adopt this figure. There's also a tradition on Nayab of reusing dingos as dogs and dogs as dingos. For example, one of the Nayab dog sets shows clearly a dingo, nobody knows a dog breed which fit it. On the other hand, one of the large Spitz dog figures is exactly the mold which is used to the Wild Republic Polybag dingo.

Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 8:58 pm

I hope to find the spitz dingo figure someday. :) As always, thanks for the info Roger!

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Roger wrote:
There's also a tradition on Nayab of reusing dingos as dogs and dogs as dingos. For example, one of the Nayab dog sets shows clearly a dingo, nobody knows a dog breed which fit it. On the other hand, one of the large Spitz dog figures is exactly the mold which is used to the Wild Republic Polybag dingo.
Are there examples of these on TAW? I can't find them. I see the Wild Republic polybag figure, but are the others there somewhere? I would be interested to see the spitz-dingo and the dingo-dog. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:20 pm

We don't have pictures of the real figures and the Spitz dingo does not look like a dingo because of its color, I can show you the official picture if you wish.
The other dingo belongs to this farm set.

Jill

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:22 pm

Oh okay, that one I have seen, thank you! I have him on my list as well!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:24 pm

I recently found that dog, good to know its a Nayab. 

Jill the other one is white and brown spotted(?). Some modern dingo-dog hybrids can have unique colorations like this (but the argument both ways is in regards to if dingos are more wild or more doggish... its difficult to classify them, especially since they have begun to hybridize with feral strays).

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:27 pm

Here is the other, the Polybag dingo in dog version. Wink

Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm

Ah, you were faster than me Roger! I would love to find this figure sometime.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:30 pm

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out as ever!

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I recently found that dog, good to know its a Nayab. 

Jill the other one is white and brown spotted(?). Some modern dingo-dog hybrids can have unique colorations like this (but the argument both ways is in regards to if dingos are more wild or more doggish... its difficult to classify them, especially since they have begun to hybridize with feral strays).
There was actually a study done not too long ago showing that some of those colors assumed to be feral genetic introduction are actually in pure dingoes, and that the natural color morphology is much wider than previously thought. Of course, cross breeding is still a huge problem, but I thought it was really cool and it also has led to better understanding of what can and cannot be used to decide what animals are culled (and also unfortunately means that some pure dingoes may have been culled unknowingly in the past). Meaning, a white and brown dingo figure could be considered a pure dingo for a collection.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:42 pm

This is FANTASTIC NEWS! I had my suspicions since they are essentially domestic dogs that became re-feral long ago (in my thinking anyhow) but this is great news for conservation of another canine. The rule I grew up with was "it had to be orange-tan with 4 white socks". But now (2 years ago, how did I miss this study?!?) they have proof thats not the case. Thanks Jill. Now my painting fingers are itching... Wink

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:48 pm

Regardless of the colors, I am sure in both Nayab sets they're supposed to be dogs but it is hard to point a breed to the one of the farm set. I think there's a kind of Japanese spitz that ressembles somewhat that dog but it looks much more like a dingo.

Jill

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyMon Mar 20, 2023 11:54 pm

Yes, I am sure you're right that they meant it to be a dog and simply didn't bother to find out if it looked like one. Laughing But I think there should be more mutt representatives in the figure world anyway, so --dingo or dog, fine with me. And nice that it could pass as either, technically. I at least will put it in my dingo list. Wink

I'd love to see you paint some dingo morphs, Paige! Very Happy I agree, this is a cool study not only for conservation but for figuring out what in the world they are and where they really came from evolutionarily.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyTue Mar 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Its great about to hear about Dingo research!I have a few books on Dingos and they mention a few colour morphs beside the original tan.The study mentions white,black and black/tan as normal colouring for Dingos and that they are likely descended form dogs form South east Asia and that many of the original free ranging/feral dogs of this area are similar in morphology to Dingos.

Saarlooswolfhound

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyTue Mar 21, 2023 11:00 pm

Taos wrote:
Its great about to hear about Dingo research!I have a few books on Dingos and they mention a few colour morphs beside the original tan.The study mentions white,black and black/tan as normal colouring for Dingos and that they are likely descended form dogs form South east Asia and that many of the original free ranging/feral dogs of this area are similar in morphology to Dingos.
Yes! The New Guinea Singing dogs for instance. They recently rediscovered another "lost" species of feralized dog from the area too. I will try to remember what article I saw on that...

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  EmptyWed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm

The New Guinea highland wild dog! Smile

Unbranded dingo?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unbranded dingo?    Unbranded dingo?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Unbranded dingo?
Page 1 of 1