Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here

Go down 
+15
Morek
A.R.Garcia
75senta75
rogerpgvg
George
sunny
Caracal
Saarlooswolfhound
A-J
Shanti
Kikimalou
pipsxlch
lucky luke
widukind
Ana
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptySun May 28, 2023 9:10 pm

I love you Wow wonderful transformation! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 12:24 am

Caracal wrote:
I love you Wow wonderful transformation! cheers cheers drunken

Thank you Alain! I like the zebra sculpt, it makes for a good base. And I forgot to say it is 1/32nd (as you know).
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 9:00 am

With your wonderful repaints I had not reconize them! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 5:35 pm

I didn't get any in-progress photos of this year's model painting month project, as it was small with very detailed paintwork which I did all in one go, with no pauses for layers to dry or taking pictures, more of a rush-through-while-it's-working-out-ok technique! Laughing So it's straight in to the Finished Models post for me this year!

My idea came from something I noticed over the years and found really interesting - our naturalised pheasants have a lot of variety, depending on where you look. Round home, all the pheasants are the same - a deep reddish brown, coppery on the sides, with a small white neck ring and dark head, and a chestnut rump. I've never seen any variations in the fields and lanes where I live, they're all like this handsome chap here :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But head out across the next county, towards the richer area of grand estates and Victorian shooting parties, and you see a lot more fancy pheasants. As a child, my family nickname for them was 'pheasants with their best hats on', because one of the most noticeable things as they pop their head out of the long grass or run away down the lane, was the little cap of pale feathers. But that isn't the only difference, as as I got older I started to notice there were lighter coloured ones, with sandy and straw-coloured areas on the body, and grey wings. Some of them had very wide neck rings. I'd try to get a photo each time I saw one which looked out of the ordinary, and kept them in a folder to compare the colours and patterns. Occasionally, I'd see a darker variation, all metallic purpley-bronze fading into the blue- head and neck. And once I managed to catch a near-black variation on camera, with iridescent blues and greens in the sheen on his feathers.

Here's a selection of the colours I've captured on camera over the years!

'Pheasant with his best hat on' - the body colour isn't too different to my local birds, but the triangle of wing is paler.

Two different colours side by side

With a grey rump and much more prominent spotting on the back

Another with grey patches - this seems to be the commonest colour in the north of the county toward the coast

This one is even paler, with a sort of blondish straw-colour in place of the usual copper, a much more distinct border to the red chest, and more beige and grey on the wings and rump. Also the biggest 'hat' I've ever seen!

A back view of the same bird, the spotting/streaking patterns are very noticeable

And then we have the dark variations, this stunning chap is all purpley-blue with contrasting pale wings and rump

Another view - he also has no neck ring

A terrible photo, but this one looks to have the blonde-ish colour much further up his back

Known as black pheasants, you can actually still see some variation in colour on different areas of the feathers

I've only ever seen three in this darkest colour, and only caught pictures of these two.

Reading up on the subject, it turns out the variation is the end result of the country estates importing different subspecies from the pheasant's natural range in centuries past. They wanted more colours, to make them better prizes for the shooting - the variations were stuffed and displayed in the houses as trophies, to collect as many colours as possible was a respectable hobby in that era when someone could be both a killer of birds for entertainment, and also a naturalist! The pheasants happily interbreed between subspecies, so by this point in time the genetics are pretty muddled in the feral populations, and you see lots of in-between colours and patterns, rather than every individual neatly matching one of the true wild relatives.

I thought it would be really interesting to paint some of them, using Papo's lovely model, and I started with the 'pheasant with his best hat on' which kickstarted my interest in these colour variations to start with.

Here's a before and after shot!

Papo's paintwork was ok, but extremely simplified for the mass production - the best painted part was the face, and it was so neat and precise that I decided I couldn't do better if I tried, and left the original paint alone.
The rest of him was painted with Citadel (Games Workshop) acrylics, because I had all these colours for my custom horses anyway.
The metallic effect is added with gel pens, scribbled on and then blended with a paintbrush so there weren't any weird lines or edges showing. I ended up buying a multicoloured pack of those pens years ago when I needed a gold one for a totally different miniatures project, and a pack of ten colours including gold and silver was the same price as a pack of two gold ones. I thought I might use the silver one day, so I picked up the multicolour set and then put the rest away in the things-I'll-probably-never-need-again craft box Laughing But I thought of them when I started looking closely at how many different colours of shine there are on a pheasant, and on this model I used the red, purple, copper, blue, and green, so they definitely came in handy, and stopped me having to buy ridiculous amounts of metallic paints for the amount I'd need on a tiny bird Laughing

Here's some more pictures of my finished repaint, some in the bright sun and some in the shade, as the light brings out his metallic shine better, but the details show more when it's dull

This one makes me laugh, he has such a funny expression from the front!

I know we're only supposed to nominate one model as our Model Painting Month animal, but this project could never finish at a single bird, so I carried straight on and painted him a friend!

And it's one of the even more unusual ones! The dark variation with very blue iridescent feathers, but the lighter colour on the back and wings.

The blue looks a bit over the top in all these daylight photos, but indoors it isn't so bad, I think my gel pen stuff does weird things in the brighter light and makes him look like he's actually bright blue rather than black with a shine which moves with the light. One of those models which is better in the hand than in pictures Laughing

And then yesterday I decided to keep going while I was on a roll - I haven't painted anything for a few months, so this was a welcome return of my creativity, the month deadline being the motivation I needed to get me going again! So my third Papo pheasant got his new coat of colour, too, this time one of the pale kind with a lot of grey and blonde tones

And here's all three together...

Posed in a more natural group - I think it would be quite nice to set up an autumn scene with drifts of my tiny dried leaves, to cover the obvious bases and make a more realistic photo.

I'm going to have to order more Papo pheasants at some point soon, because I'd love to complete my set with two more - I still haven't done the all black colour, or my local reddish-coppery one I see all the time. And if I ever spot any others in the wild, I'll do them too! Very Happy

sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Caracal wrote:
With your wonderful repaints I had not reconize them! Very Happy

thank you Alain! that is a lovely compliment sunny
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 6:58 pm

George wrote:

And here's all three together...

these 3 are all wonderful George! I love the way they shine as well, like real feathers. The one with blue is a stunner!
Great to see all the living ones too. Some of them must have made it safely thru a few killing seasons, as they have larger red skins around their face.
If I ever come across some of these models I will save them for you, so you can add to your wild flock!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 9:35 pm

drunken Wonderful renditions of so wonderful patterns, you are a magician Roger! cheers cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by Caracal on Tue May 30, 2023 8:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 10:24 pm

sunny wrote:
Great to see all the living ones too. Some of them must have made it safely thru a few killing seasons, as they have larger red skins around their face.

All my photos were taken in nature reserves (except the shots with all the snowdrops, but those are within the grounds of an abbey and shrine, so the only people around are monks, pilgrims, and visitors wanting a quiet nature walk), so these particular birds aren't bred and raised for the shooting estates, they're living in relative safety outside that world, having much more normal lifespans Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 10:43 pm

I can't read all the text just yet, but I wanted to say that these are so so so awesome! Congatulations on a job well done! I am in love with all 3. drunken

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyMon May 29, 2023 10:57 pm

Amazing repaints here. I can't keep up! Beautiful Wild dogs, I especially like the dog with lots of white spots. Great harpy eagle with subtle grey-white shades. And fantastic colours for the Hagerman horses; I wasn't expecting this, but they look amazing. The pheasants look so real, I love the slightly glossy paint and striking colours. Looking forward to more!

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyTue May 30, 2023 8:55 am

Caracal wrote:
drunken Wonderful renditions of so wonderful patterns, you are a magician Roger! cheers cheers cheers cheers

OOOPS! Sorry George, I don't know why I wrote "Roger"! drunken..  anagram effect?.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyTue May 30, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm so happy to see all the fantastic works in this thread!
The griffin is wonderful and has the cutest eyes! Great work! Congratulations, Kelly! cheers

The Hagerman horses are superb, and I'm in love! I'm super impressed by your research, Anette! And it paid off, as the pattern is very convincing for an ancient equine! cheers

And the three pheasants, oh my!! So detailed, so lovely, AND they have a beautiful metallic shine Very Happy Can't imagine better pheasants' models. In fact, they are so good that I just ordered one for my own collection (with OF paintwork though) Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 5:12 am

thank you Roger, and thank you Anna!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 4:57 pm

Kelly, I thought the griffin would be bigger. You've done a great job, neither too much nor too little, and that's the hardest part in my opinion. Congratulations  cheers

Annette, I've just gone through your explanations in the "in progress" topic and I'm 95% delighted with the result!  Laughing
I'm looking forward to the remaining 5%.  Very Happy
Your choice of paint is very pertinent, original enough to bring out an exotic side to the animal but familiar enough to seem plausible. Bravo  Applause

Georges, your "variations on the same theme" are stunning.  Shocked
I don't like it when companies like Kitan Club or Papo offer a whole host of supposedly different animals in the same mould, as is often the case with poison dart frogs.
What you've done is very different and the fact that you're using the same toy makes perfect sense here, it's dazzling! drunken
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm

So many great art pieces are added already cheers And all different kinds. We got some fantastical, some historical and some expositional flower

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 12:26 am

Congratulations! We have really so great and talented artists here in the STS family, very impressive artworks. I love you Very Happy cheers

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 2:19 am

Here’s my completed NTC frog repaint, representing the Rio Madeira poison frog Adelphobates quinquevittatus. The model is life-sized. These frogs live on the forest floor in the Rio Madeira drainage, in Brazil and Bolivia. According to Wikipedia, frogs of this genus transport their tadpoles to the fallen fruit capsules of the Brazil nut.

Here’s a reference page with pictures: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The stripes and underside are painted a very light blue. I mixed some red and yellow into the black paint for the leg spots so that they wouldn’t contrast quite as much with the leg surface. The accuracy of the sculpture really helped make the process enjoyable when trying to get the patterns positioned correctly. It was tricky to take good pictures because of the color contrast on such a small model, so I decided to just post most of them:

tongue Some comparisons with the official versions of this figure, and a couple larger cousins:

I’m happy that the model painting month happened again, and that I was able to get something done at the last minute. Very Happy

Now I’m going to take some time to look through everyone’s projects and results that I missed…

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 2:27 am

Oh my heck, you did a fantastic job!!! All of those frogs are masterpieces, and your custom fits right in.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 3:25 am

Kikimalou wrote:

Annette, I've just gone through your explanations in the "in progress" topic and I'm 95% delighted with the result!  Laughing
I'm looking forward to the remaining 5%.  Very Happy
Your choice of paint is very pertinent, original enough to bring out an exotic side to the animal but familiar enough to seem plausible. Bravo  Applause

haha thank you Christophe!
I shall add some more details to the eyes for sure and clean up the white coat. I will post pics when I'm finished

and thank you for your comment regarding my choice of paint pattern sunny
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 7:56 am

What a beautiful frog! I love the wonderful colors and super detailed paintwork! Congratulations!

They also look amazing as a group and the photos are great cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 8:31 am

Very beautiful repaint on that so tiny model! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am

Very realistic and lively work, beautiful frogs! I love you

Morek

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 03, 2023 4:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 03, 2023 4:18 pm

Beautiful Longhorns!! cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 03, 2023 4:51 pm

Those are all gorgeous! great work!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here   STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month - post your FINISHED models here
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next