Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good or not good - a discussion please

Go down 
+5
pipsxlch
Taos
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
9 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Good or not good - a discussion please Empty
PostSubject: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyThu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm

After years of collecting is it not easy sometimes to find a few highlights. So are now in my focus a few figures more that in the past was not good enough for my zoo. For example, as i started here Kaiyodo puzzle figures was to much puzzle for me. No way for Australian Yowies. And you know as a specie collector like me i can find there many unique species.

But now i think a few of these Yowies are , hmmm, okay?!? Especially some birds.

But i will start with these Naturalism chinese ili pikas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do you think about of these figures? Too much toyish or not?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyThu May 11, 2023 7:36 pm

Not for me, but my taste runs a little more stylized than some collectors! I think they walk that line of stylized but not cartoonish--the eyes and expression still feel realistic, even if the proportions are a little bit "cute"ified. If the proportions were more exaggerated or the expressions more anthropomorphic, I wouldn't like them as well and probably wouldn't add them to my personal collection, but these would definitely find a home here!

The UK Yowies are for me a good example of the same thing, and these feel a little bit like that.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyThu May 11, 2023 7:55 pm

I would say that these work as Pika, its mostly the paint that lets them down and turns them a little more unrealistic... BUT that being said, that is only my opinion, and I don't think they are bad at all.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyThu May 11, 2023 9:11 pm

A bit cartoonish, but I like them! I also sometimes find it difficult to decide whether a figure is too toyish or too low quality for my collection. If I am in doubt and they aren't too expensive, I get them so I can't regret it later Very Happy.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyThu May 11, 2023 9:23 pm

Also a bit too cartoonish for me,and the paintwork isn't great either but they are quite good little Pikas.

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyFri May 12, 2023 1:52 am

Pikas are a rather cutesy cartoonish looking creature anyhow, so for me they straddle the line but fall on the acceptable side. I prefer the one laying down.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyFri May 12, 2023 2:04 am

since I have been here I've come across figures I had no idea existed. Every single time I would see something new. And from both ends of the scale - some amazingly beautiful I can't stop thinking about them, some I would never ever entertain Very Happy

In my collecting world - if it touches my heart I get it.

And every collection is unique and distinct. So, as long as you receive a feeling of happiness and satisfaction with it - then let it in Wink

those pikas are pretty cute - do you like them Andreas?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptySun May 14, 2023 6:57 pm

Many thanks for all the comments. I will spend more time for answers next week :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptySun May 14, 2023 7:27 pm

Good or not good is not the question in fact. We have been collecting for a long time and our tastes and interests have evolved along with our knowledge. It is normal.
These Pikas are not for me but I know they would be very comfortable at Susanne's house.
We are toy collectors, don't be surprised that some of them are toyish, they all are more or less in fact.
You have a very eclectic and vast collection, it is unique, like you.
My collection is, I think, very eclectic too and yet it is not like yours. There is not one less good than the other.
If you like these little Pikas nobody can tell you that you are wrong, but if you tell me that you like them because they are very realistic and not at all toyish, I will still have a doubt Laughing
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptySun May 14, 2023 8:18 pm

From my point of view these pikas are not very realistic, these are similar kind of figures as some japanese animals in human poses (sitting, sleeping, praying, pissing...). Andreas, as species collector, do you think these two are another species as the regular Kaiyodos?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 7:52 pm

jarda wrote:
From my point of view these pikas are not very realistic, these are similar kind of figures as some japanese animals in human poses (sitting, sleeping, praying, pissing...). Andreas, as species collector, do you think these two are another species as the regular Kaiyodos?

Thank you. Yes, i think these are ILi - pikas. So the face is now more realistic. For the Kaiyodo species they are not realistic, but this subspecie looks more like that figure.

Last edited by widukind on Wed May 17, 2023 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 7:56 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Good or not good is not the question in fact. We have been collecting for a long time and our tastes and interests have evolved along with our knowledge. It is normal.
These Pikas are not for me but I know they would be very comfortable at Susanne's house.
We are toy collectors, don't be surprised that some of them are toyish, they all are more or less in fact.
You have a very eclectic and vast collection, it is unique, like you.
My collection is, I think, very eclectic too and yet it is not like yours. There is not one less good than the other.
If you like these little Pikas nobody can tell you that you are wrong, but if you tell me that you like them because they are very realistic and not at all toyish, I will still have a doubt Laughing

Thank you, your collection is really very phantastic. I know that many figures are more and less toyish and i know we have all a different taste. But- the Australian Yowies are not really often presented here. So i think many of us have a small line of okay or not okay for my taste. And sometimes (if you find less and less figures) it could be change. :)
These figures have human poses and looks not perfect i know, especially not for the common pikas. But for Ili-pikas i am not sure.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:01 pm

sunny wrote:
since I have been here I've come across figures I had no idea existed. Every single time I would see something new. And from both ends of the scale - some amazingly beautiful I can't stop thinking about them, some I would never ever entertain Very Happy

In my collecting world - if it touches my heart I get it.

And every collection is unique and distinct. So, as long as you receive a feeling of happiness and satisfaction with it - then let it in Wink

those pikas are pretty cute - do you like them Andreas?

Thank you, i really know what you mean. In the last 45 years i have collected tons of figures. All i like and some i love. But these are to much humanized for my taste and i can say not - yes or no. A problem that i never had before :)

Last edited by widukind on Wed May 17, 2023 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:03 pm

Taos wrote:
Also a bit too cartoonish for me,and the paintwork isn't great either but they are quite good little Pikas.

Thank you, yes a bit tooooo cartoonish, that is my problem. :)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:04 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
A bit cartoonish, but I like them! I also sometimes find it difficult to decide whether a figure is too toyish or too low quality for my collection. If I am in doubt and they aren't too expensive, I get them so I can't regret it later Very Happy.

Thank you, exactly my problem at the moment.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:06 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I would say that these work as Pika, its mostly the paint that lets them down and turns them a little more unrealistic... BUT that being said, that is only my opinion, and I don't think they are bad at all.

Thank you, work as Ili-pika? The paintworkyou are right. But this is not so much the probelem because i have monochrome figures too :)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please EmptyWed May 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Jill wrote:
Not for me, but my taste runs a little more stylized than some collectors! I think they walk that line of stylized but not cartoonish--the eyes and expression still feel realistic, even if the proportions are a little bit "cute"ified. If the proportions were more exaggerated or the expressions more anthropomorphic, I wouldn't like them as well and probably wouldn't add them to my personal collection, but these would definitely find a home here!

The UK Yowies are for me a good example of the same thing, and these feel a little bit like that.

Thank you, i see you understand me :)

With the Yowies UK you are right, the same thing and i like these too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good or not good - a discussion please   Good or not good - a discussion please Empty

Back to top Go down

Good or not good - a discussion please
Page 1 of 1