Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Papo Deers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Papo Deers Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 5:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Figure Brand: Papo
Figure Name(s): Red Deer Stag (53008) & Reindeer (50117)
Sex: Red Deer- Male
Reindeer- Female
Name(s):  Red Deer Stag- Diarmud (pronounced ‘Deer-mud)
       Reindeer- Brünhilde
Year Made: Red Deer- 2010
        Reindeer- 2012
Observations/Thoughts: Papo have really outdone themselves with these lovely deer models, both being different deer species, but both very beautifully done.

Diarmud, the Red deer has such a proud stance and a lovely russet brown colour. He really reminds me of Bambi’s father from that film, the standing up straight and tall kind of pose is definitely like what you’d see from that film- standing on a cliff surveying the forest.
I also named him Diarmud, (pronounced ‘Deer-mud) an Irish name that means ‘free from envy.’ It’s very fitting for him, gives him a kingly feel.
I also named him this as a way of harkening back to the fact the Red Deer is Ireland’s only native species of deer that has inhabited the island since the last ice age. That, and the name Diarmud has a very cervine pun! I like my puns at times… ^^

Brunhilde, the Reindeer is likely my favourite deer model, partially because of her great antlers and her lovely light grey coat. Deer’s are very often seen in shades of tawny brown, so it’s nice to have one in a lovely grey. I guess it’s similar to an actual reindeer coat? Except I understood reindeers were mid beige brown?
Her hooves are really well done too, so wide and large like a real reindeer, and her pose, back legs splayed makes me think she’s balancing on a frozen lake etc. Antlers are also gorgeous, great detail in them, they branch out and curl back very realistically.
I also called her Brunhilde, it’s a Germanic name meaning ready for battle, which I think she is, ready for battle with the ice!
Rating: Diarmud the Red Deer- 5/5
Brunhilde the Reindeer-5/5
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 7:44 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Thanks Widukind 👍
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 12:51 am

I think the way you describe the pose of the red deer matches exactly what I think the brand wanted to do. I'm not a huge fan of Papo deer but it doesn't mean in any way that these two are not good figures. I prefer the way CollectA makes them with delicate legs and antlers but even CollectA is needing a better red deer.
Reindeer show some color variation, even seasonally, although they're usually of a brownish color, they tend to get a greyish color during the winter. There are even some very light colored. I think Papo best deer figure is the white-tailed deer which is actually the same species as the father of Bambi on Disney version. However, the original book version features a roe deer and why not thinking of Papo as a candidat to release a roe deer figure, they're so neglected in this hobby these days.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 am

I think there's other deer species too that need to be modelled or updated, like Sika, those little muntjac ones, maybe a better fallow deer figure?
That being said, they have good enough reindeers etc. I think
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 5:23 pm

I think that both models are lovely and especially the reindeer. I really like her colouring and she has a very sweet look overall. For some reason I don't really like the Mojo adult reindeer (and the schleich even less), so I am planning to get the Papo one as a female and pair her up with the reindeer from Safari. I'm so happy that Mojo made a calf so I can have an entire reindeer family (one day hopefully)! And I didn't now that the name Brunhilde actually has this kind of meaning. It definitely suits the model.
I like the stag as well but I am not sure if he's my favourite rendition. I do like him more than the one from CollactA but if can get my hands on the retired one from Schleich I would probably get him rather than the Papo one.
He definitely looks proud and the name Diarmud fits him for sure.
My favourite deer from Papo is actually also the White-tailed deer. His pose and colouring are simply great.
And I am always in for a wider range of deer species.
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 6:41 pm

Thank you Katy, and my naming skills only go as far as some research on Google but Brunhilde suits her anyway.
I think I know the Papo while tailed deer and I agreed, one day he will be part of my collection too.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 2:29 pm

I hadn't seen real photos of the Papo red deer before, I like him a lot more than I thought from the catalogue photo! The CollectA one is an oddity, when their other deer and antelope sculpts are so well done, it seems like they've hung on to that older sculpt a bit too long and it needs to be replaced with a new one - though whether they'd better Papo's, I'm not sure!
A muntjac really would be nice, I can't believe a species which is so well known still doesn't have any major brand models!

Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi George, I think the one I want to see the most is probably a muntjac too. I don't understand why most brands don't seem to have one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo Deers   Collection Review: Papo Deers Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Papo Deers
Page 1 of 1