Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 9:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Figure Brand: Papo & Schleich
Figure Name(s): Fox (53020) & Artic Fox (14805)
Sex: Male (Fox) & Artemis (Artic Fox)
Name(s): Reynard(Fox) & Artemis (Artic Fox)
Year Made: Fox: 2013
      Artic Fox: 2018
Observations/Thoughts: This is the first time I’ve decided to do similar species but from two different brand, though because they’re different species I can’t really compare them in that way.
These two foxes, despite being from two different brands are fantastic, with my favorite being Reynard the Red Fox.  
He has a great russet color and really nice dynamic looking pose where he appears to be scuttling forward, definitely very sneaky and true to his clever nature. I also called him Reynard, it seems fitting, given he was a fox from many French fairy tales and folklore, known for his trickery and cunning.
The Artic Fox (Artemis) is also a lovely sculpt too, she’s sleek and white though she has a somewhat generic standard, standing pose. Even so, she’s still a nice little sculpt of an artic fox. Nothing much more to add to her figure, as she is all white, has no markings etc. and no unusual pose etc.
I called her Artemis because given that she’s a fox, naturally an intrepid hunter, the Grecian goddess of the hunt Artemis seems like an appropriate name for her.
Rating: Reynard the Fox- 5/5
Artemis the Artic Fox- 5/5
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 12:06 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Thanks Widukind!
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 2:12 pm

I really like both models. The Papo one is magnificent. I love his pose and his colouring is quite nice as well. He is definitely on my wishlist.
The schleich artic fox is also part of my collection. I have it as a male though and named him Snowstorm but in russian so Buran (Буран). He is a lovely model. I love the name Artemis for a fox. It suits the animal. But I've already planned on naming a horse like that.
It's kind of funny that the fox in french folklore and fairy tales is often called Reynard because renard in french is actually fox. I guess that it was supposed to be similar to the actual animal name so that the people that would listen to the stories could recognise it easily.
In russian folklore we have mostly a female fox which is often called Alice (Алиса) because the word fox is feminine and used more often for the description of foxes than the male version. That's why I named my red fox from Schleich like that.

Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 3:24 pm

That's really cool Katy and yknow that's why I love the naming process- so many cool things and names to learn!
Btw, Alice is such a sweet name for a fox, it's so homely?!
Buran is a great name and fitting for an artic fox too.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 12:05 am

I am a collector of foxes and I can tell easily that the Papo red fox is the best red fox figure ever released. It is absolutely perfect and realistic. 5 stars without any doubt.
The Arctic fox although not at the same level of excellence, it is also a figure that deserves a high ratting.
I like the names Reinard and Alice because they really remind the way foxes are called in French and Russian respectively.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 8:01 am

Thanks Roger and I definitely agree, the red fox from Papo is really outstanding, everything from the colour to the pose is perfect
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 2:24 pm

Another fan of the Papo fox here! I really do think that from everything on the market now or previously, this is THE red fox, it just gets the look and character of the animal so right. I reapinted mine, you might like to see him, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (ignore the thread title saying 'cat', the fox is the very first animal in the thread so it'll start with his pictures)

Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi George, what do you use to paint your models with btw? Is there a specific paint? Do they get an overcoat? An undercoat?
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 5:05 pm

I use Citadel layer paints, from Games Workshop. Specifically the Layer ones only - the Base are too clumpy and sticky, and their various technical paints don't work with my smudgey brush-painting style.

No undercoat or primer, just straight onto the plastic, and no sealant or varnish or topcoat either Shocked I know it's kind of unusual not to bother, but I've been painting for around twenty years, hundreds of models made of various types of plastic and resin, and none of my old ones have suffered paint loss, damage, fading, or whatever it is which is supposed to happen when you don't use primer and sealant, so it works for me Laughing

Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 6:51 pm

Right... and I presume that's a paint for model making? Not just an acrylic type?
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 7:23 pm

It's both! The paint is acrylic, and it's sold for painting models - the wargame ones with fantasy battles or various different era soldiers, so if you have anywhere near you which sells those miniatures, they should have the paint too. Or there's always ebay, that's where I get mine now, find the little hobby-shop type sellers who'll happily pack them up to send by post.

Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 8:06 pm

Yeah I do actually have an arts and hobby shop near me. One day I'll go in and take a look. I have a cheapie brand horse I wish to repaint one day, I might do a comparison here one day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes   Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Foxes
Page 1 of 1