Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds   Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds EmptyWed Jul 12, 2023 10:02 pm

Figure Brand: Schleich and Papo
Figure Name(s): Papo Irish Piebald Cob Bay Pinto (51513b)
Schleich Tinker Mare (13773)
Papo Reared Up Cob (51549)
Sex: Male and Female
Name: Papo Irish Piebald Cob Bay Pinto- MicilÍn (pronounced- Mick-el-een)
Schelich Tinker Mare- Nell
Papo Reared up Cob- Paídi (pronounced Paw-dee)
Year Made: Micilín the Papo Irish Piebald Cob Bay Pinto- 2014
Nell the Schleich Tinker Mare- 2015
Paidí the Reared up Cob- 2016
Observations/Thoughts:
I adore all these Tinker and Cob horses, especially the rearing horse sculpt from Papo, it’s a lovely rare and powerful pose that I think more horses should be as it’s a really cool and different shape. I’m also really proud that a Cob horse is in such a powerful and dynamic pose.
These horses are so great, with Papo especially doing the horses justice. These horses in real life, according to most sources aren’t a specific breed, though I believe since the 90s are now actually designated to breed status?
Originally, the ‘cob’ name referred to a body type- the stronger, thicker body type was developed to pull caravans and do draft work in fields. They also go by many names including Gypsy cob, Irish Cob, Gypsy Horse or Gypsy Vanner. It’s a small, stout horse with a spotted piebald or skewbald pattern and is typically associated with Irish Tinkers or Travellers and Romany peoples in England. Sometimes, the word ‘tinker’ has negative connotations, with people now mostly referring to them as ‘travellers’ however, the name ‘tinker’ still refers to the horse type.
They’re a very strong, but very gentle breed, with their temperament so calm, very small children can be seen handling them and riding them, often without any saddle or reins.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Micilín, the Papo Piebald Bay Pinto cob has a lovely, flowing, dynamic pose with his head slightly raised and back, his foreleg up and his tail flowing downwards. His coat pattern is also liberal wide brown and white blotches as opposed to speckles, the thick tufts of hair on his legs are also nicely detailed.

Nell the Schleich Tinker Mare is a very chunky build of horse, with a large head and largish body, though she’s definitely almost all light brown apart from some white markings on her shoulder, tail and legs. Her mane and tail is styles to be less flowing, there’s overall less movement to her, but again she has got the same hairy feet.

Paidí the reared-up cob is my favourite of the trio, as I mentioned, its rare to see a reared-up horse model and to see a somewhat plain cob horse, not a 'fancier' breed done like this is wonderful, shows off his raw power and is symbolic of the strength of these horses and how they were integral to several cultures of people for their livelihood.
I feel the pose is a celebration of cob horses themselves, he balances back well on his tail and the hair from his legs is really long and flowing. As is his mane, though it’s not as long and flowing as Micilín the bay piebald above.
Rating: Micilín the Papo Irish Piebald Cob Bay Pinto- 5/5
Nell the Schleich Tinker Mare- 4/5
Paidí the Reared up Cob- 5/5
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds   Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds EmptyWed Jul 12, 2023 10:40 pm

Beautiful models!
I really like Tinkers. On the fields around us one can sometimes see a few cobs. And I still don't have any in my collection although there are so many beautiful models out there ... I mean it's obviously Papo's favourite horse breed. They have just made so many like other brands Hanoverians. Even this year they are bringing out a new one. But with so many beautiful colours they come in it's truly no wonder that they love them.
I must say though that currently none of these models are on my wishlist. All of them are charming in their own way but out of Papo's range I like more the piebald "running" Tinker mare, her colt and the semi-rearing skewbald Tinker mare.
My favourite out of these three is probably the rearing cob and he has the most chances to jump onto my wishlist. His colouring is really nice and I just love his position.
And one more thing: the first cob is not a piebald but a skewbald. Piebald horses are black pintos while skewbald horses can be any pinto colour but black (at least from my knowledge). So in conclusion Micilín and Nell are skewbald Tinkers while Paidí is a piebald.

Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds   Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds EmptyThu Jul 13, 2023 7:47 am

Thanks Katy, and now funny that...I wonder has there been another naming mix-up?! That's the world of piebalds, cobs, skewbalds, tinkers and cobs for you....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds   Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Tinkers, Cobs and Piebalds
Page 1 of 1