Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any tips for a visit to London?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

Any tips for a visit to London? Empty
PostSubject: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 5:26 pm

Dear friends.
I will be visiting London in September.
Do any of our local members have tips on places for toy animal figures and or antique toys?
I searched google already for toyshops but nothing major interesting poped up yet.
Thanks, DutchBear
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? EmptySun Aug 20, 2023 10:36 pm

Sounds like a nice visit being planned!

Visit museums for their shops - like the Natural History Museum - most probably has animals!
and Science Museum and maybe they have other museums.
In Edinburgh there is a Toy Museum which has old lead animal figures.

Hamleys will have the regular toys in it, they have a huge store in Regent Street.

And maybe there will be a small selection in Harrods, in their toy department which is in Knightsbridge.

One thing of note, if you like bronze sculptures and stone relief, is a wonderful display of Animals in War Memorial by Hyde Park, East side.
It has life size horses and donkeys and is very moving. It's dedicated to the animals who have served in all the wars. Every time I go to London I make sure to revisit it.

and I found an article that lists toy shops in London. Depends where you are though as it's a big city.

And if you visit London Zoo, they will have a gift shop.

Also if you visit any Botanic gardens there, they should have gift shops. In Edinburgh they have one, so London probably has them too.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 8:35 pm

Hope you have a great time in London Smile
Harrods does have a Toy Dept but to be honest I was there a few months ago and there wasn't a model section.
Hamleys is the biggest toy shop in London but again their range isn't that huge,mostly Schleich and some Papo.They also sell some Collect A models in box sets under their own branding.London is sadly lacking in toy shops compared to a lot of European cities with most of them being in the suburbs.There a few model shops in the centre of London but they seem to deal in military models.There is a couple of chain stop toy shops called The Entertainer and another called Kids Stuff so you could check those out but they are just general toy shops.London Zoo will have gift shop and the Natural History will have one also as Sunny has already mentioned.
Hope this helped!

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 8:46 pm

Thank you both for these recommendations. I will save them for when I am in London.
Hopefully I can find some nice bears. No, not Paddington.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? EmptyTue Aug 22, 2023 8:41 pm

No problem,hope you manage to acquire a few new bears Palmface

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for a visit to London?   Any tips for a visit to London? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any tips for a visit to London?
Page 1 of 1