Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers

Go down 
+2
Caracal
Brandubh94
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 am

Figure Brand: Papo & CollectA

Figure Name(s): Moose (50065)
Megaloceros (55080)
Woodland Caribou (88709)

Sex: All males

Name: Moose - Henderson
Megaloceros - Lorcan- (Irish for silent/fierce/brave warrior)
Woodland Caribou - Reinhardt- (German for ‘brave counsel’)

Year Made: Moose - 2008
Megaloceros - 2020
Woodland Caribou - 2015

Observations/Thoughts: Nice selection of cervine, with the added interest that one is is in fact extinct, but I added him in solely on the basis he is a deer and he’s similar in looks to a moose, but that’s about as far as the similarities go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The first animal is Henderson the Papo Moose. He’s a very chunky, large animal with considerable size and heft to him and in fact is more or less the same size as the Indian elephant. I think his pose is a strange one, I do…like it and yet I’m still not sure about it? It resembles a stalking pose seen in the cat type sculptures so it’s strange seeing this pose on a deer? Yet, seeing him with the foreleg outstretched and the back leg stretching behind also makes me think of a long loping pose which is applicable to deer too. Other than his pose, he is crowned by a stunning set of horns that are golden brown in colour and have a huge span to them with well defined forks. His body is overall light golden brown, which in my opinion I reckon it might have been better off colouring him a much darker brown? Like the Megaloceros who seems to be coloured more realistically. I feel Papo could do with an overhaul of this model as they do deserve a far more realistic model, similar to that of the Megaloceros.

Lorcan is my Papo Megaloceros and in my opinion, he might be my favourite of the deer models or even the extinct animal models out there. I think he’s one of the best Papo models out there, in how realistic he looks, the powerful pose and the sculpted coat and mane he has, I find once again, he’s surely proof Papo have outdone Schleich again.
I named him Lorcan as I find it a fitting name for him, in Irish it means ‘silent, fierce and brave warrior.’ Mostly I went on the basis of the silent aspect of the name as I feel because he is extinct, he is in a way now ‘silent’ but that doesn’t take away from his power. He’s different colours of brown with his body being mostly dark brown, particularly his mane, neck and shoulders, though his flank and belly are creamy beige brown with a beige gradient down to his hooves. The base of his neck has a creamy stripe and his head is a much lighter brown. I’m not sure where the cream stripe around his neck and shoulder come from, but I’m ok with it being there.
His antlers are the most impressive feature, it is what these creatures are mostly known for as in real life they had a span of approx. 12 feet!  They have really long forks or prongs on them and a huge span like a moose, except bigger. Lorcan wears this ‘crown’ so well, he stands with all four feet on the ground looking over to the right in a very regal fashion. He’s sculpted in a neutral pose, but I don’t mind as I think he looks so lordly and regal.

Reinhardt is the last of the deer trio, he’s a CollectA woodland caribou and I love the fact they didn’t just choose to sculpt another caribou but a woodland variant this time. He’s a great model of one and kudos to them for making a rather unusual species, or rather, a variant on a usual species. His pose is a neutral standing with all four feet on the ground, one slightly reaching forward, his head down in a grazing pose which really accentuate his massive antlers. The antlers have lots of prongs and ‘branches’ on them which I love, they’re spindly in parts but very well sculpted. As for Reinhardt’s body, it’s well done too as he’s got a lovely sculpted grey mane. His body is overall brown with a mixing gradient of grey, charcoal and cream.  I believe the sculpting of Reinhardt is realistic as I like to look up the real animals before I describe them, so I think they’ve made an excellent job with the woodland caribou.

Rating: Moose – 3/5
Megaloceros – 5/5
Woodland Caribou 5/5
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 10:45 am

I have them three and love the megaloceros and caribou. cheers cheers 
About the Moose, as often with Papo cervids and bovids, the legs seem too thick. I prefer the Schleich one which I have too.
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 11:03 am

Thanks Caracal! My favorites are definitely the caribou and Megaloceros, I agree with your point about the moose too, not the best of the animal sculpts this time...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 1:51 pm

This time, we are in complete agreement. Both the Megaloceros and the woodland caribou received the figure of the year award on STS, marking a significant achievement for a deer figure, given that they are not typically very popular. The Megaloceros boasts an impressive design with a sumptuous look and meticulous finishing—everything needed for this species. The woodland caribou is exceptionally realistic and presents a considerable challenge for mass production. CollectA consistently pushes the boundaries of manufacturing possibilities to deliver figures that are as realistic as possible. Both figures receive a 5 from me as well.
The Papo moose falls into the category of pieces that either resonate strongly with us or fail to do so completely. Interestingly, I don't dislike it; rather, I believe it possesses its own identity, something lacking in the Schleich moose. However, I don't find it particularly appealing or very realistic, making it the only one of these three that is not yet part of my collection. Currently, I still use the outdated CollectA moose, but I suspect CollectA will soon release a new one, likely becoming my new moose, given the quality of their deer models, including the caribou, white-tail, fallow deer, and potentially next year's elk. Since four indicates very good models that fall short of excellence, a rating of 3 seems quite fair for the Papo moose.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks Roger! I agree with your points too, I believe we agree on our deers which I'm delighted! ^^
I'd love to see an overhaul of the moose yknow, or a redo or resculpt of it even?
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 4:41 pm

I agree about the Megaloceros & caribou! I don't have the Papo moose. I love my Schleich & Safari moose, but I may get Papo's new moose cow. Schleich's cow is my favorite moose cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Hi Joliezac! You mentioning that now, I must look at her! :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyTue Nov 28, 2023 5:43 pm

study study

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
quagga

Country/State : Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyFri Dec 01, 2023 12:23 pm

I have the caribou and I love it. The Irish Elk is in my wish list!
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  EmptyFri Dec 01, 2023 4:11 pm

Definitely I would recommend the Irish elk Quagga, he's a fabulous beast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers    papo - Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: CollectA and Papo Deers
Page 1 of 1