Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set

Go down 
+5
widukind
jarda
Roger
Joliezac
Saarlooswolfhound
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set Empty
PostSubject: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 3:45 am

Here of course I could not resist a new wolf! But this set includes several other desirable species for many. Here is a walkaround of comparisons for each model with some compatriots by modern brands I felt were most similar/useful for contrast. Let's get into them!

The whole set (so far the largest in the "normal" scale for the brand and most expensive (outside of the smaller scale figures or some sets with accessories)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First off, my new prize possession. Wink This raccoon can really only be described as... a bit ridiculous. To me it better represents a depiction of one as a pet (I have known someone who did have one...despite it being illegal in the state). Anyway, it rivals Papo's figure and makes Schleich's old one look like a toothpick!

I actually really like the mask on it though, and its feet are really well done (better than the schleich model here).

Alright, a bit of a mystery... A lynx? Or a bobcat? The color for a Canada lynx is wrong and proportions aren't great for one anyhow. Is this a European lynx perhaps? You will see part of my suspicion for this later. Either way, it is actually really a nice model and has great texture. Just not sure what species it was intended to be.

I LOVE its little *blep* tongue. It is only painted on, not scultped, but a nice unique difference anyhow.

The object of what I really wanted. I will admit, its not a fantastic wolf model. Its really close to being one however... I think it suffers mainly from a head being too small, hence why I chose the bullyland to compare it to as it has a similar condition. It has a great color scheme though! That is something many companies struggle with (looking at you bullyland...)

And here I tried to show that if only it had the Safari's skull proportions it would have been a fantastic figure!

Bison! This figure is rather small which surprised me, but otherwise it is great and speaks for itself I think.

I really like how this has the cape tapering further down the dorsal line than most figures.

The bears... probably the weakest points of the set for me. They are just too generic looking. They look more like teddy bears than actual bears. They aren't completely horrible, but not really up to my taste. THe only think I like about them is the chest patch as black bears and grizzlies can have these on some individuals.

Moose! This one has become a new fascination for me as it seems to present either a young bull without fully mature antlers or just an individual with a "rack" leaving some to be desired. Either way, I enjoy that aspect of diversity. The only feature I feel is truly wrong is the nose is not quite right (not square and broad enough).

And I like his open mouth. I feel it less to be grazing than making bellowing noises in a possible (albeit less confident) display.

Alright, the deer in the room now can be addressed. In my opinion, this is NOT an elk, but a red deer. There is nothing about this figure that speaks elk, even if you repainted it. I can't put my finger on it, but its just missing a certain something that would make it wapiti bull. *Also the reason I wonder if the smaller cat is a Eurasian lynx instead*

It has REALLY weird tine arrangement too. Most of the antler is fine, but at the end it has a rectangle arrangement. Can this occur in red deer? I know its not possible in elk, at least not in such a geometric fashion.

The bald eagle! Besides the beak, this is a wonderful figure. Reasons why to follow.

Because of the beak situation it sadly misses the proper regal profile of this species.

The feather texture is wonderfully done. This bird lacks some body girth. Perhaps its a juvenile?

Ok, lets talk about the feet. For one, check out those talons!

And for two, the stippling and texture on those feet is amazingly small but very much there to apreciate.

The gator! I was not expecting this to be a highlight for me, but it turned out much nicer than expected. It is rather small, but that's ok for me.

And the reason I admire it, again is for texture and detail. Look at all these denticles!

Steve Irwin once said that American alligators really just look like frogs... with teeth. With this gal, I can see what he meant.

Ok, now I saved my favorite 2 for last. First up is the mountain lion!

The personality and expression in this figure is amazing to me... they really nailed that feline snarl!

And just look at it next to the placid looking Papo,

And the pronghorn! It's got these lovely long stilts- I mean legs!

The face is a bit odd looking... again I think it has a small head.

And for anyone hoping it was a female... sorry guys, but this figure has all the parts that translate to male. (Some customization shouldn't be too hard though...)

Overall, I really like this set but realize that it will probably not be up to everyone's taste. For one, I thinkt the sculptor has a hard time with leg V torso V head proportions. I love that these all are fluffy and to me represent winter coats on all these animals very well (I have seen all of these in winter coats in the wild and they translated nicely). Let me know what you think of them, especially what you think of the deer and lynx!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 5:46 am

I saw this set on Amazon but I really only liked the Pronghorn so I wasn't sure if I'd get it, but wow these look a lot nicer in person! Of course some have some issues and some look plain odd, but I really like the mountain lion, gator, pronghorn, lynx?, and wolf! And considering this set is listed as $26.99 for 12 figures, that's approximately $2.25 each! So I really can't complain much about that price. I may have to start buying more of these sets and maybe sell off the ones I don't like cheap.

Thank you for taking the time to take all these pictures! I was really considering this set and you may have just sold me Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 6:42 am

Thanks, and just for future reference, I would be interested in these for customization possibilities! Wink

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 10:43 am

Great presentation, Paige. I think these models play a role similar to New-Ray some years ago. I don't have a single one yet so I can't be sure but it seems like they want to put on market affordable figures with a decent quality even if they not pair with what major brands are doing these days. Watching your first photo, I was convinced the deer to be a white-tail although it has the bulk of a larger species. It can't be an elk and I really don't know what it is supposed to be. It reminds me the first CollectA deer which mixed features of white-tails with red deers so they could work for both American and European markets.
The lynx is also quite generic, if it was not presented in a North American set, I'd identify it, with 90% of certaintly as an Eurasian lynx. I don't know how the company is marketing it but I suspect they want to represent a bobcat even if it does not show any bobcat particular feature. They could use the mold for a bobcat but it needed a different painting.
Some I really like, I'd get the puma if it was sold individually, though I really dislike the raccoon for instance.

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 12:29 pm

I got this set before xmas, mostly because of the moose and pronghorn figures. I believe these are North American animals, so the bobcat should be bobcat (the size and paint are much more convenient for bobcat than Canada lynx) and the deer is IMHO not the red deer, maybe any hybrid in the best case. The raccoon is too fat to my taste with too short tail. The moose has weird shaped legs. I like from this set pronghorn, bison, puma (much better in real than on photos), bobcat and gator, not sure with these bears and I have some problems with the hybrid "deer" and raccoon.

Last edited by jarda on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 2:13 pm

On to way to a phantastic brand

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 3:10 pm

Nice set, but unfortunately not available anywhere near me.
I agree, some heads are a bit too small.
Ridiculous, I don't know, but I quite like the Raccoon.
The Bobcat reminds me of a Bobcat more than anything else, but the painter could have done better.
I love the bison, very well done.
The black bear would make a good brown bear...
The Grizzly looks like he's having a good laugh.
Despite his thin muzzle and weird legs, I really like the moose, the pose is interesting.
The deer's antlers are really strange and once again the head is too small, alas, to say that I've often complained about some Schleich's heads being too big, it seems to me that I've been heard... alas
The bald eagle is nice, despite its beak. With a good coat of paint it would make a convincing Pallas's fish eagle.
The frog isn't bad either, even if I initially mistook it for an alligator.
I love the Mountain lion, and I'm keeping a warm place for it just in case, who knows?

jarda wrote:
I got this set before xmas, mostly because of the moose and pronghorn figures. I believe these are North American animals, so the bobcat should be bobcat (the size and paint are much more convenient for bobcat than Canada lynx) and the deer is IMHO not the red deer, maybe any hybrid in the best case. The raccoon is too dick to my taste with too short tail. The moose has weird shaped legs. I like from this set pronghorn, bison, puma (much better in real than on photos), bobcat and gator, not sure with these bears and I have some problems with the hybrid "deer" and raccoon.

Where did you find your set ?
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 5:45 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

jarda wrote:
I got this set before xmas, mostly because of the moose and pronghorn figures. I believe these are North American animals, so the bobcat should be bobcat (the size and paint are much more convenient for bobcat than Canada lynx) and the deer is IMHO not the red deer, maybe any hybrid in the best case. The raccoon is too dick to my taste with too short tail. The moose has weird shaped legs. I like from this set pronghorn, bison, puma (much better in real than on photos), bobcat and gator, not sure with these bears and I have some problems with the hybrid "deer" and raccoon.

Where did you find your set ?
On Amazon, entire set for 28 Euros incl. postage, try here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 6:05 pm

Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 8:45 pm

Nice collection of models.I think the deer is more like a Red deer than any North American species.The Bobcat/Lynx looks more like a Lynx with poor Bobcat colouring.The Raccoon is grossly overweight for a wild raccoon!The Pronghorn is overall a nice model with a good stance but would agree with the head being odd and too small.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 8:59 pm

Some races of the European Red deer can have cups at the end of the antlers with extra tines radiating outwards.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptySun Dec 31, 2023 9:44 pm

Thank you everyone! As I said, any Toymany set may not be for everyone. I have chosen to support the sets that are well done (IMO) and unique sculpts to encourage them (hopefully to produce even better ones later on!).

Taylor, THANK YOU! Red deer CAN grow what is called a "cup" or a "crown" on their antler tips! This is something that American elk CANNOT do unless they have what is called "atypical" antlers (this include additional tines in unusual formations, "drop tines", etc.). For me, that settles it; that is a red deer (albeit a weird looking one).

The smaller cat I think could pass for either a lynx or bobcat depending on collector preference. Mine I think will join my bobcat troop.

Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 12:28 am

Just bought this set & the kangaroos/koalas Laughing

I will most likely weed out some from this set. Not something I usually do, but I really don't need more bears/moose unless they are something really special cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 1:56 am

Oh that raccoon is kind of hilarious! What a chonk! That alligator, though, wow! I love it! I would look for it if I had the space for larger figures. Really interesting brand, they seem to do a pretty good job for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 12:37 pm

I like a lot the puma in its winter coat, the bison and the gator. With its rather short and rather equal legs (in lengh) and thin muzzle, the lynx looks better to a bobcat, but the whiskers are a little too long and, as pointed out Christophe, the painting is poor. Fortunatly these little flaws can be easily corrected to obtain a true beautiful bobcat! :)

Thank you Paige for this beautiful and useful presentation! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set   Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set Empty

Back to top Go down

Toymany North American(?) Wildlife Set
Page 1 of 1