Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? Empty
PostSubject: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 7:11 am

I bought recently this dog figure made of a pvc slightly softer than major brands'.
It seems to be an English Setter, below a comparison picture with the Papo Weimaraner.
Paws are flat and wide and it is marked with the number 44. I see often these dogs for sale in Spanish auction websites being sold either as Yolanda or Comansi. I know TAW tells Comansi bought Yolanda but these figures are apparently from 1990's.
First, I would love to know the exact brand, then, I see figures of dogs for sale with numbers up to 54 or so what suggests it to be a very large series of dog breeds.Is it known a complete list of these figures? I also find some being sold as being 3 cm long which is much smaller than this one and many others which are sold as having 6 to 8 cm length.. Are there two different series?
I don't intend to collect the series but surely I know who would love too, however, I might be interested in some unusual breeds if they work nicely with brands like Papo even if the quality is not the same.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 8:26 am

What a great find,its a really lovely model and also of a breed you rarely see in the model world.Be great to see what other breeds there are..

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 9:50 am

No idea

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 1:54 pm

Thanks, I suspected it was unknown to most of you and it was one of the reasons why I bought it because I wanted to share. Maybe Ricardo knows the series since he knows a lot about Spanish brands.
Maybe, when I find time, I will use this topic to update numbers and breeds of those I can find for sale, the problem is that I'm not yet good at identifying breeds.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 4:34 pm

That is indeed a really nice setter! I would be curious to know more also. Congrats Roger!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyWed Jan 10, 2024 6:44 am

I found a seller with a few of these dogs and I'm buying them for a friend. As soon as I get them, I share the pictures and give more information and I will eventually open a page on TAW. I still don't know if they are Yolanda or Comansi or if it is all the same.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 5:25 am

OK, here are pictures of the dogs I bought for a dog collector friend, I might pick one or two for my collection but it depends on the breed and how much I like it. All of them are marked with a number, could you please help me identifying the breeds? I will update the first post with the numbers and suggested breeds since I already have some feedback from other collectors too.

They are in used condition, they needed some cleaning and leg adjustement since legs are softer. Sorry for these quick pictures, I can take more if you need at a later stage.

Dog 9

Dog 32

Dog 33

Dog 36

Dog 38

Dog 39

Dog 52

Dog 53

Dog 55

Dog 56

Dog 57

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:43 am

What a superb collection of dogs! cheers
Here are my suggestions-
Dog 9-Whippet or Greyhound.
Dog 32-Possibly a German Wirehaired Pointer but the colouring would suggest a Korthals Griffon.
Dog 33-St Bernard.
Dog 36-Spitz but hard to determine-Pomerian,Mittel Spitz or possibly Lowchen.
Dog 38-difficult one,the colouring doesn't help-Bearded Collie,Catalan Sheepdog,Polish Lowland Sheepdog.
Dog 39-Weimaraner
Dog 52-Shetland Sheepdog
Dog 53-Saluki
Dog 55-Komondor
Dog 56- Possibly a generic Husky-its a heavily built so I would go for either an Alaskan Malemute or a Greenland Husky
Dog 57-Possibly a Great Dane but the coat has wavy lines and the muzzle is a bit odd.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 3:03 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Taylor. They are very useful and they're close to most of my personal ones and from other collectors I asked directly.
Komondor, Saluki, and Shetland are being consensual.
The biggest difference is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I don't have opinion about it and another collector suggested a giant Schnauzer and Great Dane was never mentioned.
About dog 39, it has been suggested pointer, much probably a German short-haired pointer which is quite similar to a Weimaraner. The dog 9 is average sized, smaller than the Saluki, for instance and greyhound has been suggested, maybe a similar one like the Italian.
Though, before opening a list, let me show you how differently sized are those spitz. I personally thought the large one to be a Shiba inu but it is probably a larger breed as you suggested, the small one is being suggested as something similar to a Pomeranian but nobody is sure of the exact breed. Check here a comparison of the Spitz dogs.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyTue Jan 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Roger-thanks for the comparison photo.The smaller model is hard to determine but would agree with Pomeranian being the most likely.
The larger one I still am inclined to think is a husky of some sort.Shiba Inus weren't that well known in the west until the 1980s,and seems too big in comparison with the Pomeranian type model.
The other breed that sprang to mind was the Norwegian Elkhound-but they are grey not black!
Would agree that dog 39 could be a German Short-haired Pointer.
Dog 9 if its smaller than a Saluki then maybe a Whippet-for an Italian Greyhound it would have to be really small
Dog 57-With regards to the Giant Schnauzer,I would have thought that it would have a docked tail as with the model of the German Short haired pointer as this was customary for the time.Again its not an easy model to identify.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyTue Jan 16, 2024 1:34 pm

I agree with Taylor's suggestions overall. My only additions for consideration would be the following:

dog 32 could be wirehaired jack russel, its a bit large for one but thats what I think it looks closest to. 

dog 38 could be something like a Tibetan terrier

Dog 57 My first guess was a black Russian terrier

As Taylor has said these are a bit hard to ID as there are additional things to take into consideration like time period they were made, customary dog practices (i.e. docking tails) and popular or nonextistant breeds for the time. But these are my additions for consideration after a quick look. :) They are lovely models though!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyTue Jan 16, 2024 4:18 pm

Thank you both. I'm sure this series has a list of breeds of some sort. I don't know where to find them. Most breeds have very similar ones and despite being evident the sculptor of these models wanted to make them as realistic as possible and not exactly toyish, they do not have the quality of the figures we see these days.

Here a comparison picture to show the grehyhound and another of the dog 33, it is not a Saint Bernard in my opinion but it looks from side view, the dog is not bulky and it has long hairs on its lower neck. Also, I am convinced there's a Saint Bernard figure, for sale, which I believe to be part of this series and it looks more like one with the barrel and more massive.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Some of the these dogs are very interesting.
This is a comparison chart and I think Whippet is still the best fit,as this chart has the Greyhound and the Saluki close to each other in size.
If poss could we have a picture of the shaggy brown and white dog with a known model to gauge size.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Interesting chart, I suggested it to be a whippet but I was told the ears are different. scratch
Here is the requested comparison photo. Let me know if you meant other dogs. Dalmata is a Schleich figure.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 4:32 pm

Oh that one on the right is much bigger than I was expecting. I would agree with something like a griffon for it.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 12:43 pm

Thanks Paige, I think some of them will be impossible to tell without an official list. Here they are in a different angle.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 1:43 pm

Thanks for the photo-I am more inclined to think,like I suggested earlier,Korthals Pointing Griffon aka Wire haired Pointing Griffon.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 pm

Sorry to keep asking,would it be possible to have a comparison of dog 33 with the Schleich Dalmatian?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 2:28 pm

Ask whatever you want, as long as I have these figures with me, I can take any pictures and your help is being very useful. Very Happy
Dog 33 is slightly taller than the Schleich Dalmata but the difference is little.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Many thanks Roger.I had a look in a few of my dog breed books to see if this model matched anything and at present I am stumped as to what breed its meant to represent.I thought of Estrella Moutain dog,Newfoundland,Hovawart,Rafeiro do Alentejo but it appears to be too small or the wrong colour/shape.I will do some research over the weekend.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySat Jan 20, 2024 3:14 pm

I would love it to represent one of the Portuguese breeds but I doubt that's the case. I'm convinced a few Spanish breeds are represented in this series but probably the only Spanish breed who gets closer to this model is a Spanish Mastiff but honestly it doesn't look like one.
Here a picture, without the Setter and the Saluki, for size comparison.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 21, 2024 10:23 am

Thanks for the comparison photo.Front the front the smallest looks like a Long coated Chihuahua!Spanish Mastiff could be a suggestion but as you say not large enough and colouring is wrong.If we are thinking of Spanish breeds then the dog 3rd from the right could be a Spanish Water dog.The dark grey dog looks similar to a Great Dane with cropped ears.It would appear that maybe the dogs were made at slightly different scales?I would be great if as you say there was a list of the breeds out there. Smile

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? EmptySun Jan 21, 2024 5:45 pm

What a wonderful set! I hope their origin is discovered someday!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?   Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information? Empty

Back to top Go down

Large series of dog breeds from a Spanish brand, who knows more information?
Page 1 of 1