Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 10:52 am

Figure Brand: Schleich & Papo

Figure Name(s):  Pura Raza Espanola Horse (72183)
Papo Lusitano Horse (51569)

Sex: Both Males

Name: Pura Raza Espanola Horse - Marcellus-Latin  - ‘warrior’
Papo Lusitano Horse- Cyrano- Greek- ‘from Cyrene’

Year Made: Pura Raza Espanola Horse - ???
Papo Lusitano Horse- 2022

Observations/Thoughts:

Pura Raza Espanola Horse:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I called this lighter version of the beautiful Pura Raza Stallion Marcellus because he needs a splendid name, a name that’s something ancient and classical and beautiful but strong and masculine as it is all the things I associate him being. Researching it, turns out it’s Latin for ‘warrior’ and suits him.
We all know about the black version of the Pura Raza, but I only discovered there’s a lighter version late last year and simply had to add him to my collection.
He’s a sandy/tan/beige variant of the Pura Raza Espanola stallion and like the black variant I adore him, and find him probably my favourite figure so far this year. The coat pattern is an all over beige/grey with gradient black on legs and nose. His mane and tail are long, flowing and jet black.
Marcellus adopts a very proud stance, with his head bowed, he looks to be trotting forward, head arching downwards. It’s a very elegant striking pose and with the flowing mane tossed back gives great dynamisms to pose. A very lively, strong and impressive horse and probably one of Schleich’s  best horse models if going for movement.
The overall feeling and look of Marcellus is pure strength and elegance. Though he still has a gorgeous gentle face, emphasised by his bowed head, held down to the side- it’s proud and masculine but yet elegant and strong? It’s all of these elements that leads me to be extremely impressed by him- him and his dark brother Oscuro are both my favourite horse models. I love the way they seem to be in such an artful pose and the huge manes they have is well sculpted with individual hair locks within etc.

Papo Lusitano Horse
This horse has quite the nose on him! Because of it, I named him Cyrano as it’s almost roman or aquiline, so it seems to fit, along with his somewhat Portuguese theme/breed.

His colour is light beige with a slight yellow tint. He’s got a dark brown gradient on his famous nose with a paler beige blush to his lower muzzle, but that same gradient is apparent on his feet/legs.
Cyrano stands in a strong, very…pushed forward and upright sort of pose with all four feet on the ground and head bent forward, held downwards. One foreleg is also placed farther outwards while back one is slightly pulled backwards. One thing I’m not so fond of is his mane pulled into a bound ponytail type thing dangling over one shoulder- it looks strange and unrealistic? I’d much prefer the flowing loose mane in my horse models.
He stands, looking strong, tall and stoic, bent forward slightly and with head tucked in a little is pleasant to look at is it is still somewhat very elegant. Maybe it would be better if he was given a more pleasant looking, natural, flowing mane, but I digress...
I do notice his eyes up close appear rather blotchy and a bit…messily painted? Or at least not very concise.

But other than that do like how strong and straight his pose is supposed to look. He’s still a handsome looking horse model with a very bold and unique profile.

Rating:  Pura Raza Espanola Horse – 5/5
Papo Lusitano Horse – 4/5
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 8:54 pm

This is a truly very interesting comparison as these are two breeds very close geographically and physically. In fact, they are difficult to distinguish and are the most famous among the Iberian breeds.
I am Portuguese, I naturally have a special admiration for the Lusitano horse and for me the words horses and Lusitano are almost synonymous.
I can understand Schleich's idea with that floating mane and empty spaces; it's an interesting solution as long as it's not overused, and Schleich didn't overdo it. This shows one of the characteristics of these horses, which are very glamorous with their manes waving with graceful movements.
On the other hand, Papo presents a hairstyle that doesn't benefit the Lusitano horse at all; it would look beautiful on a figure of a Native American, but this horse requires a different kind of expression. I also don't like the neck very much; it's arched as it should be, but it doesn't seem well articulated with the head or it doesn't have the correct shape.
I also prefer the posture of the Andalusian horse, so undoubtedly, although I have more interest in Lusitano horse figures, between these two I would choose the one from Schleich.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am

Thanks Roger, I'm curious about this model alright, I do like the Lusitano, but I agree with the strange mane.
Do you think his nose with it's acquiline arch is correct too?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:20 am

Brandubh94 wrote:
Thanks Roger, I'm curious about this model alright, I do like the Lusitano, but I agree with the strange mane.
Do you think his nose with it's acquiline arch is correct too?

They might not get it perfectly but the fact is that Lusitanos have slightly convex heads and that's an important feature they have not ignored.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 8:09 am

Cool! Was thinking this alright...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses    Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Schleich & Papo Horses
Page 1 of 1