Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oryx Antelope from Lineol

Go down 
+15
Tiermann
Chris Sweetman
animalluvr6
Roger
widukind
scot(t)
landrover
Numa
WILLYBACOMAN
Philter4
ken yeo
aandmkw
Kikimalou
HKHollinstone
Admin
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:57 pm

[quote="Admin"]Hi Friends,

again a very rare composition animal:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A wonderful study of an animal suspended in motion.

This is a true "in the wild" pose and not a static "I am standing still" one! Compare this action pose with contemporary Zoo style ones from Britains.

The reason here is choice of material. When this animal model was created plastic was yet to be developed and 'composition' was the way forward with "active movement". Animals figures created by the Hollow cast method using lead were destined to be static.

Nice find BTW.

Chris

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I personally love the old composition animals. OF course I also love the old lead and metal animals, and the old plastic animals, and the new plastic animals, and...

I think it is helpful to remember that different people have different interests and requirements in collecting. Some people want the most realistic looking figure they can find and would be happiest if it is in scale with other animals by the same maker. Other people care less about how realistic it looks and more about how much personality it shows. An old composition figure to me has a naturalness of materials and a patina from age that plastic figures are not capable of having. With plastic figures they look the beast to me fresh and clean like the day they were made. With composition and lead figures I care less about that. I still am a little picky about what things bother me and what dont. For instance on lead figures paint missing from a face bothers me more than chips in the paint elsewhere. Torben's oryx is not much younger than my mother. If I look that good when I am 70+ years old I will be a happy man.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Tiermann wrote:
Torben's oryx is not much younger than my mother. If I look that good when I am 70+ years old I will be a happy man.

Laughing Laughing Laughing So I am Wink
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Admin wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The more I look at this, the more in love I am with the Lineol.

I'm at DEFCOV 2. (like DEFCON, except pertaining to Coveting. I'm very pleased with myself on this one, as you can see; which is unfortunate since it quite possibly could have been funny without the explanation. We'll never know.)

Tiermann wrote:
If I look that good when I am 70+ years old I will be a happy man.

Ha! very good point.
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Well Daniel, you see that we can't agree all on models...
You can't compare apples with pears in the first place!
Between 1900-1950, nobody ever heard about plastics or PVC, so the material what was available was used.

First it is a little wonder, that so many of those old and brittle models survived through this time anyway...

Secondly, was the sculptor of these old Lineol models a real and true artist!

Third, as many older and other collectors mentioned before me, the model and sculpt of the Lineol antelopes was far ahead of its time, and from a far better quality then the modern models, specially Schleich, who is even getting worse anymore.

Fourth, i lived in Germany in the 1970's, where you had only the very comical and playfull Schleich Classics, from which i had a lot in that time to, talking about chubby or fat...
Thankfully i had my Britains and Hausser Elastolins to, which were much more accurate, and i scale to eachother, which no modern brand still has achieved...

Fifth, i think, you have to see them in the real, to make a judgement like that, because when you have the Lineol in your hands, next to the Schleich oryx for example, you will only agree with us, i am pretty sure about that!
Then you see what real quality is!

Sixth, the only thing that could scare you off to collect these kind of models, is the price, you can easily buy almost the complete Schleich range of one year for the same price as one Lineol antelope... Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Well ...
And so I think these figures as ugly, but it is my opinion, so Do not tell me to change his mind on these models, simply because I do not like ...
greetings! sunny
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 3:23 am

Taste does differ indeed, nobody can say something on that indeed!
But you have to have those in your hands first, before you can give any honest and real opinion about them!
For the rest, i think you are are Royal pain in the ass on this forum to be honest! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
With a far to big mouth for a little boy like you! Mad
You don't know what you are talking about boy!

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
But you have to have those in your hands first, before you can give any honest and real opinion about them!

True words spoken here Willy.

This reminds me of people trying to review models just by looking at pictures!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
pookyhorse

Country/State : Virgina/US

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 am

I don't have any Lineol's yet(I wish!) Though I think this guy is lovely. I personally prefer models with the realistic thinner legs. Which is why I don't really collect many Schleich figures(though I do like some of them!) I don't really see the reason for the thick legs since Collecta has shown us their very very nice horse figures with normal legs.

But yes, Nice figure! I like the pose. It makes the animal look very stream-lined and elegant. Hopefully someday I can add some to whatever room I have left on my shelf haha.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
WILLYBACOMAN wrote:

True words spoken here Willy.

This reminds me of people trying to review models just by looking at pictures!

Chris

I agree. Willy's words are definitely wise. And Chris, you are absolutely right about trying to review models by looking at pictures. We should all know this by now, having collected hundreds of figures and having seen the difference between pictures and the real thing.

Even when we have concerns -- or tentative criticisms -- about a figure, there are polite ways of expressing those concerns and criticisms.

Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 am

Well, i spoke those words, as i really feel so about those old models.
Of course it can be very different for people that don't have the feeling for them, or never had one in their hands.
But i think, those collectors who have some, not just bought them because they are old and worth a little bit more.
They are the grandparents of our modern animal models, and very classy for their time.
When i look at the prices for them in the old Lineol catalogues, i can imagine that only kids from well-situated parents could afford to buy them for their kids... Rolling Eyes

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm

You hit me!
I was ignoring Masse-Stuff for far too long.
I can't think of so many Schleichs to be more interesting for me than some of those extraordinary Figurines such as this Oryx!
Also the idea of being influenced by zoo animals when Berlin Zoo was even more a place of animal keeping history than today.

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 1:24 am

Quality never lies Philipp, in any case, isn't it?! Rolling Eyes Wink

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm

..and now, both Oryx and Zebra are on their way to me! cheers Some renovation is needed, but i am looking forward to start with it!

skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm

You bought that Oryx without a horn? Zebra, Oryx, Sea lion and... tapir if I remember correct?

scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 10:14 pm

PeGe wrote:
..and now, both Oryx and Zebra are on their way to me! cheers Some renovation is needed, but i am looking forward to start with it!

Congratulations!! Those are both such beautiful figures. The very best ever. I'm envious and happy for you.

Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am

I like Lineol oryx's head/neck as well as the same for their zebra!
As far as Schleich, I really like the their Grazing Zebra. Nice figure.
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm

I find it incredible that in the early 20th century you had brands like Lineol making some of the most charming wildlife models I have ever seen, some of the best in fact, in terms of pose including their Oryx, Zebra and Sable Antelope yet still modern German brands have never been able to compare to the 'oldies'. Charming photos, thansk for posting.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Indeed, some (most ?) Lineol still rule farao
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 am

Kikimalou wrote:

No quite right mr, MOST are fantastic!!!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Numaan wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

No quite right mr, MOST are fantastic!!!  

Absolutly yes.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oryx Antelope from Lineol   Oryx Antelope from Lineol - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oryx Antelope from Lineol
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2