Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment

Go down 
+7
bojan
Kikimalou
baltimore zoo
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
Kristie
scot(t)
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:13 pm

scott wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

I've never seen the Papo ostrich in real life, I don't really like the plastic joining the legs together, I know it's for support. The model seems to lean forward [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I bought the swiss family before they were retired - I've seen the cow on eBay a few times, it's a shame because one went the other week in nice condition for a cheap price, if I'd known I could have got it for you!

I didn't notice at all that they connect! This actually bothers me a lot. I didn't get the Schleich Male Ostrich for ages because they essentially put him on a stand (a piece of plastic ground) instead of having him support himself with his two feet. I don't know why this irritates me (it's aesthetic I suppose).

Another example (for me) are the farm animals like chickens and ducks. I waited a long time before collecting those because I didn't like the little mounds of plastic they stand on. We all have our pet peeves I suppose. I've only recently broken down and purchased the ducks and chickens, along with the baby-animal-"group" models like the raccoons and badgers and hedgehogs, which are all attached to each other by means of a common piece of plastic. It still kind of makes me shudder.

It seems in the catalogue photo this piece of plastic isn't shown, which I think is cheeky really. I don't really like bases either, I much prefer free standing models.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 pm

If you look closely at the 2009 male ostrich with wings extended, I think Schleich corrected themselves and did not put a "nail" on the small toe.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm

SeanieP wrote:
Thanks Scott for giving me the location of the Learning Express...I have been to the ones in Andover and Northbourough but not Newton. I will try that one. Did you get the Ostrich there???

SeanieP wrote:
If you look closely at the 2009 male ostrich with wings extended, I think Schleich corrected themselves and did not put a "nail" on the small toe.

Hi Sean, the only thing I got at the Learning Express was the old Brown Bull. I got the CollectA Ostrich from TGF Toys online. I haven't been able to find CollectA except online. At the Learning Express, they had almost nothing in the way of animals. They had the Safari TOOBS (which I don't collect) and when I asked if they carried plastic animals, they directed me to the toobs. Below the toobs was a shelf with some random dinosaurs (I don't know what company, I also don't collect dinosaurs...yet), a couple Schleich hens (all recent models) and several of the Brown Bulls. So the Brown Bulls were the only items of interest there.

I didn't even think to check out the Male Ostrich! I'm gong to go do that now.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:

It seems in the catalogue photo this piece of plastic isn't shown, which I think is cheeky really. I don't really like bases either, I much prefer free standing models.

That is cheeky! I definitely didn't remember seeing it when I ordered it.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Scot, you're not the only one disappointed by Schleich: I feel they let me down also. For two reasons.
First, they are closing all their portugese manufactures to move them to China. Just like if we were not already invaded by "Made in China" products everywhere. Yet, Schleich continues to make us pay large prices for them, just like if they were still purely european. Crap. Evil or Very Mad
Second, they don't make much research to bring unseen species to the public: no brittle star, no river hog, no hoatzin, no guinea hen, no thresher shark, no pygmy right whale, no toxodon, no green peacock. But farm cows, pigs, lions, tigers, T-rexes, african elephants and zebras. In other words, animals we see everywhere since the prehistory of toy making, including in dollar stores. The same old seen-it-all species. Sleep

So, if we conclude, with Schleich, we pay high prices... for already-invading animals labeled "Made in China". Makes me feel like going in a dollar store. At least, there, made-in-China-farm-animals are low-priced. Yup! Schleich put me down also. But for other reasons as they put you down. Neutral

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : orthographic mistake)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment   The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Collecta Ostrich and a Schleich Disappointment
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2