Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company

Go down 
+16
75senta75
smallscaleworld
WILLYBACOMAN
PeGe
ken yeo
Sergey
Chris Sweetman
Roger
Ana
scot(t)
Elros Alvar
widukind
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
Kikimalou
Yurumi
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 3:13 am

My first post and I'm being a know-it-all...sorry!

ZZ is the mark for/are a Hong Kong outfit, possibly still producing (if they are the factory will almost certainly be in mainland China now), I have two repro. tin-plates of 1920's style arcade or street-seller type toys by them which were mint a couple of years ago. They also produced swoppet style copies of Cowboys and Indians in 70mm from the Italian firm of Fontanini.

I thought for a while they might be a former East German concern as they seem to turn up in Germany (and your card is aimed at the German speaking market) but correspondence with German collectors says no, Hong Kong.

Also...my German's not good, but isn't Riesen a brand of chocolate-coated toffee? Could these be premiums or a mail-away?

(I tried to include an image but the upload kept failing?)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 am

Dear Smallscale ! You are NOT being a know-it-all at all !!! You are being very helpful and your info is highly appreciated  cheers 

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 am

Welcome here Smallscaleworld  cheers 

STS forum needs know-it-all like you  Wink  People who likes to share their knowledge with the Collectors community are true gems. I wish you will enjoy the place, and I hope the vintage section will increased in topics and quality  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Welcome here Smallscaleworld  cheers 

STS forum needs know-it-all like you  Wink  People who likes to share their knowledge with the Collectors community are true gems. I wish you will enjoy the place, and I hope the vintage section will increased in topics and quality  Very Happy 

Hear ! Hear !  cheers 

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 pm

smallscaleworld wrote:
My first post and I'm being a know-it-all...sorry!

ZZ is the mark for/are a Hong Kong outfit, possibly still producing (if they are the factory will almost certainly be in mainland China now), I have two repro. tin-plates of 1920's style arcade or street-seller type toys by them which were mint a couple of years ago. They also produced swoppet style copies of Cowboys and Indians in 70mm from the Italian firm of Fontanini.

I thought for a while they might be a former East German concern as they seem to turn up in Germany (and your card is aimed at the German speaking market) but correspondence with German collectors says no, Hong Kong.

Also...my German's not good, but isn't Riesen a brand of chocolate-coated toffee? Could these be premiums or a mail-away?

(I tried to include an image but the upload kept failing?)

Thanks for the informations, i am sure you will give us mny more interesting informations  sunny sunny  But i think with Riesen you mean the Storck Riesen, that are bonbons  Very Happy 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 am

Very welcome indeed Smallscaleworld indeed! Any knowledge is always welcome here in this miniature world of animals! I was aware these copies were made in Hong Kong, or maybe Singapore, as they originated in the 1970's, but nobody was sure where they came from.
And it was quit common to copy any known brand in this time, so Britains, Hausser or even other brands were made like these VEB Plaho's, although they were even from Hausser or Lineol from the old days...
Nowerdays almost impossible with all of those was in copying, thankfully, that makes things clearer! cheers cheers

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 am

I took this from a rather fractured Stork Foods page...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is what I was on about, the long pack to the top, is the old 1970's logo, I remember buying them in the little shop in Neuhausen ob Eck and it seems very similar to the 'Riesen' zoo and 'Riesen' farm, I suspect they were mail-aways or some similar promotion, as the Cowboys & Indians came in plain ZZ packaging, with blue header cards?

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 am

smallscaleworld wrote:
I took this from a rather fractured Stork Foods page...

This is what I was on about, the long pack to the top, is the old 1970's logo, I remember buying them in the little shop in Neuhausen ob Eck and it seems very similar to the 'Riesen' zoo and 'Riesen' farm, I suspect they were mail-aways or some similar promotion, as the Cowboys & Indians came in plain ZZ packaging, with blue header cards?
It could be possible but i think not. The animal figurines are in extra packages.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Sorry Widukind, but I'm going to insist!Embarassed

I've put this together from less than adequate images;

It clearly shows similarities between the Riesen Farm and the earlier smaller chocolate pack (yellow) and the Riesen Zoo and the later tube/block I remember buying around 1977/'79.

The chances of two companies - whether Hong Kong or not - operating in the same place [Germany] at the same time [late 1960's-mid-70's - Farm (?) and mid-to-late 1970's - Zoo (?)] with almost identical Logotypes [two of them] saying the same thing [Riesen] are millions-to-one!

The fact that the Cowboys & Indians were sold in non-Reisen packaging, with the ZZ logo (but no Riesen) and a different colour scheme/design would seem to make ZZ the maker/originator, and Riesen/Storck only a contractor/client? I'm going to suggest again, that they were a promotional for Riesen toffees, and that the farm animals were an earlier promotion, the zoo animals coming afterwards. The separate bags would be explained by the fact that you either mailed away for them, or exchanged tokens over the counter...or something like that?

The extra serif on the 'R' of the Riesen Zoo is explained as a quirk of the art-studio! This was the era of Lettraset and Mechanorama-based artwork, maybe the artist used a similar font, rather than a Storck-supplied one, who knows? Very Happy

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 5:14 am

Hello Smallscale world! I doubt your vision very much, as i was living in Germany in the 1970's, and i bought my ZZ models new in the known warehouses partly in that time! I never saw any connection to that brand of sweets or chocolate in one or the other way. I am quit sure they have anything to do with eachother in one or the other way! I bought them, or let them given to me by my parents, because they resambled the Britains models or Hausser Elastolin models, which i didn't had at that particular moment.
I understand your point of view, as many German manufacturers of products gave away toys with their own products, but that was mainly in the 1950's and 1960's, later far more less.
This is a far much smaller sized model of the Britains Bison made by Riesen ZZ.
This is a far more bigger model of the Hausser Elastolin model of the lioness in hollow hardplastic, instead of softplastic.
These flamingo's are a direct copy of Britains, only somewhat bigger.
This is another original package of Riesen ZZ, copies of Britains Zookeepers.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks Willy :)

Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Willy

More pictures of animals doesn't answer the glaring question-marks! Nor does where you lived, I too lived in Germany in the [late] 70's and people living in the US could buy both in the early 1980's, as imported 'clearance', perhaps the ones your parents bought from a warehouse were similar left-over's? I don't know, what I do know is that the company (ZZ) also produced two sets of wild-west figures (54mm and 60/70mm) and tin-plate toys through until at least the 1990's, without the Riesen branding!
confused

Therefore, this thread should probably be under ZZ in "Jeol and Hong Kong makers", and the questions remain, re-graphics, etc...which you haven't addressed?
study

To match graphics once is a coincidence, to do it twice is to raise the odds considerably, to do it twice in the same country as the other product, without doing it to several more of your own products is not coincidence, at those odds!
bounce

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm

And I'm not doubting that they are taken from Britains and Elastolin sculpts?

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 10:50 pm

So, at least, let me move this topic Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:55 am

Wink

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 am

scratch Maybe someone could ask Riesen about this ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Am I seeing Willy or am I drinking too much? drunken Rolling Eyes Why I never have my glasses when I need to find them? geek
Well, very interesting to read all this discussion, I hope you find the right answer to that ZZ mistery. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:28 am

Kikimalou wrote:
scratch  Maybe someone could ask Riesen about this ?

The logical way forward.

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 3:12 am

!

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 3:12 am

I can not reason with you on USA terms or experience Small world, as i can't tell anything about that from my experience. I only know what i got in the 46 years i am collecting!
Still i doubt very much that Riesen sold stuff there, as this was far before the brand was known there, it is even rare known here in Europe to be fair. But of course it is possible that it was sold aferwards in the USA under this name, which is very common in toy-brands,which makes things more complicated for us!

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Maybe someone could ask Riesen about this ?

scratch Do you know the person or company to write at mon ami?

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 am

scratch scratch scratch Yes, the company is.... Riesen Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:34 pm

A really interesting topic. Yes, Riesen is produced by the German company Storck.
arrow Riesen is the name of a fine candy that is manufactured by Storck.
On their homepage there is also a very interesting story about the company.
For year 1953 you find about history of company Storck these informtions:

Das Exportzeitalter beginnt
Das Exportzeitalter beginnt: Besonders gefüllte Storck-Bonbons sind begehrt. Hauptabnehmer sind die USA, Schweden und Hongkong. Außerdem gibt es Lizenzverträge für viele Storck Produkte in Italien, Frankreich und Österreich.

In English:
The Export Age begins : Especially Storck filled candies are popular. The main customers are the United States , Sweden and Hong Kong . In addition, there are license agreements for many Storck products in Italy, France and Austria.

arrow More about history of company Storck:
http://www.storck.com/de/geschichte/

arrow Homepage of company Storck:
http://www.storck.com/de/

Last edited by 75senta75 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 1:00 pm

I have now called simply at the company Storck.
They are very friendly and want to help to find a solution to our question.
I should send them the photos with the ZZ figures by mail.
They will ask their archivist for help and give me an answer soon.
That´s all for moment.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Yvette Applause Applause Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company   ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

ZZ Riesenzoo - a rather unknown company
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next