Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
Ana
Roger
castlerigg
8 posters
AuthorMessage
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one Empty
PostSubject: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am

Today, a long-awaited Lineol "first Elephant" arrived. Now we can compare it with its Elastolin and Tipple-Topple brothers.

The Tipple-Topple, Elastolin and Lineol composition zoo-animal ranges each began with an Indian Elephant. They show three very different sculptors' ideas of how an Elephant should look.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This Lineol advertisement is the earliest known picture of Lineol zoo animals (see note below). It shows ....

.... this Elephant, which has oversized feet, rather strange wrinkles, and ears covered in small warts.

Pfeiffer's Tipple-Topple first Elephant is a little bigger and better-sculpted, with a belt of filler round the middle where the two halves of the casting were joined together.

Inevitably, Hausser's first Elastolin Elephant is bigger than the others. With its protruding hip bones, and skin like a piece of cloth thrown over a frame, it looks .... well ... dead!
Maybe it was modelled frm a badly-stuffed specimen?

Later, Lineol added a larger, metal-tusked Elephant to their range. (This one's tusks are wooden replacements). Then, they made a baby. So our new arrival has a ready-made family.

**NOTE: In the old Lineol advertisement, the animal just below the P of "Tier-Park" is described as a Gorilla. But it is not a Gorilla!
Lineol often painted it as a White-Handed Gibbon. But it is not a Gibbon, either!
It is a very mixed-up Macaque!

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am

Thats very interesting as usual! What a huge difference between the 1st Lineol Asian elephant and the last Lineol! What a Face
I agree completely about the Hausser, even before reading I also thought immediately that it looked a stuffed animal, very... impressive! affraid albino
Curious, macaques and other primates are probably the ahrdest species to identify for me. Anyway it is easy to see that it is not a gorilla nor even a gibbon. Definitvely not a ape, I would think it was a barbary ape, that is a macaque, confused monkey only because it looks they were very popular among brands these those days. Anyway, coming from me I'm sure I'm wrong, macaques are macaques and that's all! Wink

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:20 am

It's amazing to see these outstanding figures. Some of them may not be very realistic but history behind them is fascinating. elephant And they have so much charm and are wonderful in their own way. It's great to see the progress in realism in Linoel elephants also. Thank You for sharing Castlerigg cheers
I love very much the old cart with animals I love you
And your photos are really great sunny

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am

CONGRATULATIONS with this unusual and enormously interesting nw, old elefant:cheers:

You are the model model-collectors for many of us. Patiently waiting and learning, and then one day you have your treasure Very Happy

And sharing your knowledge with all of us impatient, silly amateaurs Laughing Laughing geek

I alwat get slightly trembling hands when I see there are news from you two, and again we see these fanatstic, historical model animals, dead or alive , they are FABULOUS cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Big big big congratulations Sue and Lesley!! cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks, Ana! Thanks, Andreas!

Susanne, you say, "And sharing your knowledge with all of us impatient, silly amateaurs"
Retract that statement! We can all learn from one another!
Without you ... and all the other people on this forum ... we would never have known about so many animals and animal-makers (and our Ark would not need to be so big!).

Roger, several sculptors really liked an engraving of a Barbary Ape looking over its left shoulder, which was in many natural history books at the turn of the twentieth century.

With minor changes to leg position, the poor old Barbary Ape became "The Monkey" in several different composition ranges.

And sometimes, different sculptors' work is so close that you have to look twice to see which beast belongs to which maker.

These are Elastolin's second Arabian Camel (left) and Lineol's second Arabian Camel (right). Surely, they were copied from the same photograph.

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you so much Sue and Lesley Very Happy Congratulation for your fantastic catch Cool The first LINEOL Shocked , a century contemplate us drunken I would like to have it in hands, to smell it to look it in the eyes. It is wonderful!

Your topic is very very interesting, I like those comparisons and those pages of History, at least toy history... Wink

It is funny to see how doubles and "several utilisation" models are common in the animal figurines history.

@ Roger : For me those macaques are Barbary apes because they lacked tails monkey . And believe me a macaque is not a macaque and that's all. Not more than a Crocallighariaiman thing monkey Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 am

Hmmm.... I said to the Elephant:- "Hey, you! Mr. Kikimalou wants to handle you and look into you eyes and smell at you! Isn't that great?"

The Elephant gave me a strange look, tiptoed away, and hid behind the rest of the herd. I think it is a little bit shy.....

Lesley.
Castlerigg.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am

Very interesting about the monkeys. I don't know if at this time it was easy to know the works from each others or if they really used the same draws. Similarities are obvious in monkeys and camels. Only Lineol gave more detail and Elastolin removed what would be considered unpleasant. Maybe Elastolin sculptor was already like modern designers and Lineol sculptor a purist! flower

Kikimalou wrote:

@ Roger : For me those macaques are Barbary apes because they lacked tails monkey . And believe me a macaque is not a macaque and that's all. Not more than a Crocallighariaiman thing monkey Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Yes, monkeys and crocs are all the same! I understand your thought, so a crocodile without tail is a Barbarized croc? alien

castlerigg wrote:

Hmmm.... I said to the Elephant:- "Hey, you! Mr. Kikimalou wants to handle you and look into you eyes and smell at you! Isn't that great?"

The Elephant gave me a strange look, tiptoed away, and hid behind the rest of the herd. I think it is a little bit shy.....

Lesley.
Castlerigg.

lol! monkey I love you lol! elephant affraid lol!

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 am

They're beautiful, congratulations Sue and Lesley, what fabulous figurines cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Congrats on a great catch ladies! Sad(o)):

PostSubject: Re: Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one   Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one Empty

Back to top Go down

Arrival of the third first elephant, the LINEOL one
Page 1 of 1