Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals

Go down 
+6
costicuba
SUSANNE
widukind
rogerpgvg
Advicot
Roger
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Elephant seals are not very common in toy shape. Two species exist, the Northern, slightly smaller but with a longer proboscis while the Southern is really the biggest seal of this planet but curiously it bears a shorter trunk.
If the Northern is more appealing because the long trunk teh bulls gives to them their most characteristic appearance, the Southern is really the giant . It is 7 times heavier than a polar bear, luckily they do not meet each other.

Here a little comparison between those I think are the most innteresting elephant seals at this scale.
The Papo Southern elephant seal, released in 2017 and already discontinued!
If you want to see really good pictures, take a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
... and the much older Lineol IV generation sea elephant released in 1940.

The first thing we notice is their difference in size. Actually, the Papo figure is slightly small when compared with similar models of the same company.
Lineol models were not also correctly at the same scale but their size differences between small and large animals was more respected. So, you find a huge sea elephant and a tiny fox, just to give an example.

It is always good to recall that a bull Southern sea elephant reaches easily 5 metters long with some specimens exceding 6 metters. Considering it, the Papo model can be placed, surprisingly at 1:32 scale for Roger's collection.

Their weight averages 3 tones, really massive beasts. These models are also not light, the Lineol figure weighs 194 g while the Papo model weighs 120g.

These features were developed through natural selection once they often need to fight to be the dominant male with access to a harem with a big number of females.
Before fighting, they use positions or vocalizations to intimidate the oponent. Southern elephant seals are able of adopting really high postures and folding the back abruptally, the Lineol model shows it although not that extreme, if you check, the front flippers are barely touching the ground.

They roar using their proboscises to see who is the noisiest, if nobody abandones the battle area, they really start to fight, violently, using their massive necks and teeth. Blood is common but rarely a fight is fatal.
The winner then has the right of matting with all the females and has to defend them against other bull intruders.

My Lineol model is not in perfect condition, it is evident that this bull already confronted many oponents what is not a surprise considering its age.
However, it is an impressive model, the pose is of an extreme elegance for such a beasty creature and proportions are excellent.
Papo«s model is very detailed, far more detailed than the Lineol or any other modern rival. It is a big improvement over the charismatic old model, also sold by Mojö Fun and Schleich but made by Maia & Borges.
The most curious part is that this model is also made in Portugal and I think it is not only manufactured but it was also designed.
I am quite convinced that some never released Maia & Borges new models are those sold by Papo and made in Portugal. The marabou stork is another example.

I love Papo's figure but the Lineol generates a very special feeling in my heart, it is a wonderful collectible that turns this hobby really wonderful, ata least for me.
Obviously it was thanks to Yvette that I could afford such a brilliant, rare old model.

I have a few more sea elephants, namely the M&B version sold by Schleich or the beautiful and smaller Happy Kin I received as a gift from Kosta. Though, these are not with me at the moment. Sad

I hope you enjoy, let me know if you have a favourite and I hope to present more Battles of the Generations in the future! Idea Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Really good idea for a topic Roger :) When I first discovered the TAI I had finished looking at every page after about 2 weeks, and oh my GOD how many epic figures there were. Putting that aside I obviously saw the elephant seal page, and my eyes went to the Papo (as it was my only elephant seal at the time of looking) and then I saw the Lineol. For an 80 yr old figure it was unbelievably realistic and very beautiful, I needed it for my collection. After seeing other figures by Lineol I realised it was composition (I didn't know what it meant then) So I did more digging on the TAI for Lineol and found out what composition was... I was heartbroken firstly because it was released before my grandmother was born and I'd never find him and secondly he was composition. Only now I wish he was plastic or resin and then he would join my shelves

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Great comparison. The Lineol elephant seal will win the battle because it is largest Very Happy. I have the Papo and when I first put it next to my other 1:32 scale animals, I was shocked how large it was. The Lineol was later produced in plastic by Veb Plaho/Marolin. Still looking for that one.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 5:37 pm

study study study study study

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Roger ! I knew you were a genius cheers
Again you confirm it, - what a brilliant topic, perfect photos, and even fun to read also Applause
Did you ever consider making a book about animals, illustrated with photos of your animal models ? bounce bounce Very Happy

[quote="Advicot"...... I was heartbroken firstly because it was released before my grandmother was born and I'd never find him and secondly he was composition. Only now I wish he was plastic or resin and then he would join my shelves [/quote]

Ohhh, how life can be hard Sad
It is like when I saw the Marhor from Lineol ( I think it is Lineol?It is not in TAW ) and realized that should I find one, I would not be able to afford it Suspect
But then CollectA made one, and I was happy again, - almost Wink

The thing is, that there exists a plastic copy of the Lineol elephant seal : The one from VEB Plaho Very Happy
It is much smaller, but a wonderful model, and it is made of platic !
I have two, and one of them is yours, if you want sunny

Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Shocked affraid really Susanne?! I would LOVE to have the VEB Plaho figure join my collection, I never expected to receive one from the Queen of animal figures cheers (just a quick question is it the same size as this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm

Advicot wrote:
..... (just a quick question is it the same size as this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes , but the painting is nicer Wink
Perhaps I should make a new picture for TAW ?
I think this one is a much loved model from Andreas' childhood Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone and sorry for not quoting you.

Adam, your collecting horizons are being polinatted and you are blossoming your natural interest for animal figures. I am happy that my topic already served to make you win a wonderful Plaho sea elephant. One more petal for your corolla. I hope your good roots will contribute to your collecting longevity and soon or later, you will find interest in composition models. flower

Roger, I am sure you will find a Marolin figure, I don't know if you ever considered the Happy Kin Toys model - it is not as large as Papo's.

Susanne, I write the book and you take pictures. Laughing
To be fair, there isn't anything very original in my topic, maybe only my accentuated blogger style.
Anytime I make a new  topic, I end with the paradoxal sensation that I write too much but not enough. See how Andreas is still studying it and that I forgot to mention the Veb Plaho model.
Actually this topic is very similar to the "Back to the Future" by Christophe and "Old Meets New" series by Yvette.
My topic is a sequel of this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] A dissertation after my own post on it.
It worths to revisit these topics, they are wonderful and as I was missing them, I made my own. Laughing

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 2:38 am

Thank you for this wonderful topic Roger cheers
I love "Back to the Future" by Christophe and "Old Meets New" series by Yvette.
Now ''Battle of the Generations'' it is like a new , great serial .. and episode 1 is done perfectly Applause

When is comming episode 2 .. ? bounce Very Happy

I have just the Papo one, which I like very much, but Lineol IV models is something very special and so it is this Lineol Elephant Seal.
Even I think, that the proportions are a bit better on it ... I mean the longer body, compared with the Papo one.
If you are right, that the Papo model is actually desighed from Maia & Borges in Portugal, this is a very interesting , new information for us. Do you have a confirmation, that the marabou stork model is designed in Portugal ?
Thank you for this topic :)

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 am

My favorite is the Lineol.

Very interesting description of real differences and toy differences study study study

Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 am

Kosta the Papo marabou stork is indeed made in Portugal

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Thanks Kosta and Fernando! I am glad you enjoy this topic and that you share the same favourite as I do.
I really intend to start a little serial and I already have an idea for next episode, I am just waiting for one of the figures. I may meanwhile to think about an alternative and you are all invited to make your own episodes too.

costicuba wrote:
Thank you for this wonderful topic Roger cheers
I love "Back to the Future" by Christophe and "Old Meets New" series by Yvette.
Now ''Battle of the Generations'' it is like a new , great serial .. and episode 1 is done perfectly Applause

When is comming episode 2 .. ? bounce Very Happy

I have just the Papo one, which I like very much, but Lineol IV models is something very special and so it is this Lineol Elephant Seal.
Even I think, that the proportions are a bit better on it ... I mean the longer body, compared with the Papo one.
If you are right, that the Papo model is actually desighed from Maia & Borges in Portugal, this is a very interesting , new information for us. Do you have a confirmation, that the  marabou stork model is designed in Portugal ?
Thank you for this topic :)

Kosta, what I know for sure is that Maya & Borges is cooperating with Papo. I also know Maia & Borges started a new series of birds after the Water and Lake Birds, however, the ducks and grebes didn't sell as expected and the new birds series was never released even if some models were already made to the prototype stage. I even gave some suggestions to this series. I am sorry to M&B if this info should be kept as a secret but makers are not innocent and it seems somewhat evident to me. Official is that the marabou is manufactured in Portugal by Maia & Borges, I assume it was designed also in my country but that is surely not official. Back to the elephant seal, why is it the first elephant seal on Papo's range a model made by Maia & Borges and that was sold previously by the rival Schleich and recently by Mojö Fun? Why was it available for such a short time and immediately replaced for another new design but also made in Portugal? I hope my conjectures are correct and that we see more tropical birds on Papo's range during next years. Especially an ibis or a hornbill.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Here is my Marolin version of the Sea Elephant. Smile

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Marolin also released one Shocked I love his eyes and nostrils

Roger, I may start to collect composition models but as Susanne has said they are very addicting and I don't have space to collect everything as my wishhlist is over 1200 figures, and I already 1200 (roughly) figures in my collection

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Marolin and VEB Plaho are essentially the same company. The painting may be a bit different, but they used the same mould, scaled down from Lineol.

I understand that you can't (and probably shouldn't) collect everything. Composition figures tend to be expensive, so a good reason to be careful.

If I find the Happy Kin elephant seal, I'll probably buy it, but it doesn't look quite so good as the Marolin/VEB Plaho.

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm

I am also on the hunt for the Happy Kin figure, if you do see two or more would you mind getting me one?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 am

Thanks Taylor for enriching this topic with a picture of the Marolin model.

rogerpgvg wrote:
Marolin and VEB Plaho are essentially the same company. The painting may be a bit different, but they used the same mould, scaled down from Lineol.

I understand that you can't (and probably shouldn't) collect everything. Composition figures tend to be expensive, so a good reason to be careful.

If I find the Happy Kin elephant seal, I'll probably buy it, but it doesn't look quite so good as the Marolin/VEB Plaho.

Considering the Marolin/Veb Plaho is based in such a beautiful figure, it was not expectable to see a better model from Happy Kin, though, it is better than what we could expect and I think it worth the effort.
I agree with you. It was exactly what I tried to say to Adam, he has still a long time to think about composition figures, there is still a lot of plastic to be enjoyed. :)

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Happy kin elephant seal. Smile

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Taylor, here is a unusual pair of bulls to start a new battle of generations.
Happy Kin vs Marolin or, in alternative, could you provide a picture showing both together in a similar way to my first picture of this topic? bounce

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 8:37 pm

I can do the Mojo & Papo Wink

Now I need to find the Happy Kin, where did you acquire it Taylor?

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyFri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 pm

Taylor has everything! So far my searches haven't brought up anything, but I'll let you know when I find the Happy Kin, Adam. But we probably need to come across it by chance.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptySat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 am

Advicot wrote:
I can do the Mojo & Papo Wink

Wink

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptySat Jul 11, 2020 4:02 pm

I will do the Marolin and Happy Kin next week. Smile
Rogerpgvg-If only I had everything........................ Smile Smile Smile
Adam-I found all my Happy Kin models by accident and also all in Spain as well!!

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Here is the Happy Kin with the Marolin and Papo model and finally all three together Smile

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Fantastic Taylor! This is a team topic what makes it even nicer. Very Happy
Now I see the Marolin model has a very generous size, Roger is right, it may be the elephant seal with the nicest size for the scale he is collecting. Thanks a lot! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals   Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Generations: Papo and Lineol Elephant Seals
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next