Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?

Go down 
+3
SUSANNE
scot(t)
Sheepish
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sheepish

Sheepish

Country/State : USA / Indiana

Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 am

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I wanted to both introduce myself and ask the advice of the collectors here. While I am a fan of all manner of miniature animals, my real collecting drive is in Breyer horses in the Traditional 1:9 scale. Not quite as miniature as Schleichs and Co. However, I adore the fact that Schleichs cats and many of the dogs are close enough in size to match scale with my horses, so that they can have more companions animals than just those produced by Breyer itself. What I want to know, since the majority of my shopping is done online (where you rarely have in hand pictures that suggest actual size) is which brands most closely hit that scale, are most detailed/realistic, etc. Which brands do you all have, love, which animals by those brands are your favorites? I know I'm rambling, but I guess what I really want is to see your domestic pets (cats, dogs, rabbits, and anything else you might find in a barn or around horses) from all brands. Thanks in advance, I love seeing the collections of others, since any collection is built with love, and I hope to build my own with your guidance.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 am

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure others will be able to answer many of your questions better than I. I have a couple questions for you that might help me (and perhaps others) help you better. I know Breyer has an excellent line of dogs -- the ones they call 'Companions'. Are those dogs at a 1:9 scale? Do they fit well with the figures in your Equine collection?

My favorite models of dogs are done by Breyers, Schleich and Papo. Schleich's more recent dogs have been smaller it seems (not the 1:12 scale they claimed for their older line of dogs). Papo's dogs seem roughly around the same scale as Schleich's older models, in some cases, possibly even slightly larger (but if so, not by much; and I could be wrong). I can't say for sure (others will hopefully verify or correct me), but the Papo models are sometimes uneven in scale. The Greyhound and Bull Terrier seem maybe about 1:12, but some of the figures seem a bit smaller.

CollectA also makes some good dog figures. I personally don't think they are as good, in general, as Papo's. And they also look to me to be (at least for the most part) a slightly smaller scale. (The Irish Setter may be an exception and it is a fantastic model.)

It might be helpful for you to see pictures of a model you are interested in next to a Breyer model which you are familiar with. You should feel free to ask and if someone has a Breyer model you know and the Papo or CollectA figure you are interested in, they could perhaps take a photo. Hey, it can't hurt to ask!

I hope you enjoy your time here at this forum! It's a great place; very friendly.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 am

Hello, Sheepish, and wellcome here !!! sunny

I wished I could help you, but I know very little about Breyer and their sizes .
Do you have any models animals from other of the major brands, so perhaps you could show a picture of one of your 1 : 9 Breyer horses together with one of them ?

Scott is very thorough and knowledgeable as always.
I just want to add that Bullyland also has some very nice dogs, and most of them ar a little larger than the ones from Schleich and Papo Very Happy

Sheepish

Sheepish

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Very Happy

Here are pics of my other animals with my Breyers, I apologize for quality since I had to use my phone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The rabbits I don't have a lot of, would like to add some wild rabbits as well as a few more black and white if they're available. I hope to get the Schleich hutch if I ever get a Breyer barn. I believe they are all Schleichs.

The cats, the two with tails up are Breyer Companion animals. I think the Schleichs I have match scale better than the Papo, but I don't think the Papo are so big that it's a problem.

The dogs, the big one and the corgi are Breyers. I think small breed Schleichs are okay in comparison as far as scale, but the large breeds seem to small, the Papo Bull Terrier is perfect I think.

My favorite, who I call the Stupid Tom, teamed up forever with my cranky Emial. Had to add, just because I love them.

I'd like to add other small farm animals, especially goats / pygmy goats so long as they stay in scale.

Last edited by Sheepish on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Welcome here sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

Sorry, i am a wildlife collector but i am sure here you find any help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Welcome from Portugal! Very Happy
Although I don't collect domestic animals, I can tell you that is not hard to find pets that fit with your 1:9 scale Breyers. Small creatures like rabbits and cats, are often not far from that scale. Even dogs. Schleich used to make their dogs in 1:12 scale, this is somewhat small when compared with 1:9 horses, as you suggest, mainly for larger dogs. But brands, to prevent the small dogs being too small figures, they make them usually in a larger scale although they continue saying that they are 1:12. Unfortunately for you, the last Schleich dogs, are in 1:20 scale, very small when compared with traditional horses but fit perfectly with their human figures and Schleich horses.
Dollhouses use 1:12 scale, sometimes you also can find some domestic animals that you can use.
Not being an expert with domestic animals, I feel that Papo dogs from last years are among the best as Scott commented. Schleich dogs are traditionally interesting and CollectA has also some good dogs. I think that among Bullyland you also can find some very interesting figures but for 1:9 scale, I think the old series of Maia & Borges will fit better.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Maybe not the best but large enough. study
Safari also has some dogs but I don't know them. I am sure you will find many answers to your questions, if your horses were 1:12 scale it would be easier but there are alternatives to 1:9 too. Very Happy

Sheepish

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for the info Roger.

I'm hoping someone here will be able to share a pic of a lot of dogs, cats, etc from different brands so that I can compare size amongst them, because if I could see them next to one of the animals I also have I wouldn't need to compare them to my horses.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Welcome to the forum, looks like you have an impressive breyer collection!
Collecta have made some gorgeous dogs, they are slightly bigger than Schleich I think.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 am

Welcome to the forum! I think for cats you still have Collecta, to go with 1:9 scales . But not for dogs!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am

Sheepish wrote:

I'm hoping someone here will be able to share a pic of a lot of dogs, cats, etc from different brands so that I can compare size amongst them, because if I could see them next to one of the animals I also have I wouldn't need to compare them to my horses.

We had a subject where the collectA dogs were shown together with other brands.
I have searched and searched, but can`t find it scratch

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Sheepish wrote:

Susanne, I can't remember the dogs topic, I only can find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I only remember a tread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Sheepish wrote:

I apologize if someone already posted a link to this discussion, but there are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. This may help some more with the size of these four dogs.

Heather, if you have a particular model you would like to see, next to a particular comparison piece (like the Papo Bull Terrier, for example), you can always make a specific request. We may not be able to oblige, but if we can, people here love to try to help.

Back to top Go down
Sheepish

Sheepish

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:53 pm

scot(t) wrote:
Heather, if you have a particular model you would like to see, next to a particular comparison piece (like the Papo Bull Terrier, for example), you can always make a specific request. We may not be able to oblige, but if we can, people here love to try to help.

If anyone has any of the dogs shown in my pic above and would be willing to take a pic with any other dogs they own it would help greatly, as I could use the one I have to compare. Very Happy Please and thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?   Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Domestic pet animals in all brands - recommendations?
Page 1 of 1