Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear

Go down 
+6
Roger
Gabe
HKHollinstone
SUSANNE
ken yeo
Kiryuha
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear Empty
PostSubject: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm

I’ve received a parcel from my friend Sergey with Collecta Ginkgo and three Papo critters. So now I have 5 Papo figures – not many, ‘cause they were selected very scrupulously.

Here are my newcomers:
My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 10110311

My impressions:
- Cape Buffalo is excellent! I think I might even include it in my Top-3 of the figures introduced in 2010.
- Hippo is not a masterpiece, but it’s the best among all the hippo figures I’ve ever held in my hands. What I don’t like are his soft & rather flexible legs.
- Brown bear is a well-made figurine, although the form of his muzzle is rather awkward.

See how the hippo enjoys his new habitat in my newer African display:
My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 5148792514_f26bab38a6_b

More general view:
My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 10110310

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Congratulations! Ginkgo tree from the background look good. I wonder can you take a pics of Ginkgo tree at full view. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Me too, I would love to see more of the ginkgo !
It is a fascinating plant. Old as the dinos, I think, a conifer with leaves Shocked

I have tried to plant them on several occations here, but it is too cold.
Some live for a few years, and I begin to cheer cheers Alas, then the typical Danish Winer comes :
rain, rain and more icy rain, followed by heavy frost, so all is covered in ice for weeks, - no Ginkgo can survive that Sad

Well . I also love the critters. Papo is winning more and more in my I love you

flower for lovely photoes !
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Congratulations Kirill, lovely additions!!
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:18 pm

ken yeo wrote:
Congratulations! Ginkgo tree from the background look good. I wonder can you take a pics of Ginkgo tree at full view. Thanks in advance.
Actually, I've already taken these pics to prepare a review of the tree here. It only took me more time to post than the Papo newcomers Wink

Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:28 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
Thanks, Harriet! Do you have those in your collection?

SUSANNE wrote:
...I have tried to plant them on several occations here, but it is too cold.
Some live for a few years, and I begin to cheer cheers Alas, then the typical Danish Winer comes :
rain, rain and more icy rain, followed by heavy frost, so all is covered in ice for weeks, - no Ginkgo can survive that Sad
As fas as I know, Kiev city authorities are planning to plant numerous ginkgos here in Kiev instead of horse chestnuts which are being eaten by the Chestnut Moth. I wonder if it could be successful 'cause I don't think our winters are less frosty than Danish Wink

Gabe

Gabe

Country/State : NY

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Congrats Kirill! they look great! :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Kiryuha wrote:
As fas as I know, Kiev city authorities are planning to plant numerous ginkgos here in Kiev instead of horse chestnuts which are being eaten by the Chestnut Moth. I wonder if it could be successful 'cause I don't think our winters are less frosty than Danish Wink

Maybe it is because it is so wet here ? If it is just a little colder in Kiev there may be snow , which prevents the soil of being too hardly frozen ?
I think I have read somewhere that Ginkgo is extremely resistant to pollution from traffic.
It will be exiting to hear what happens to the new trees Very Happy

flower Susanne
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 am

Congratulations Kiril!
I will buy this hyppo too, unless 2011 bring us another better!
I think the buffalo is nice too! But... is strange to me see a bear in your collection or... I'm confused?question
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 am

Kiryuha wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:
Thanks, Harriet! Do you have those in your collection?
Only the hippo, I agree with you about it's legs, they are rather strange, you'll find the same thing with the Papo black rhino too. They are lovely models though, my favourite is the black rhino.
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:58 am

Susanne glad Papo is winning your heart! It's no secret, I love Papo(prefer the artistry in their product over the others) the best...
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 am

baltimore zoo wrote:
Susanne glad Papo is winning your heart! It's no secret, I love Papo(prefer the artistry in their product over the others) the best...

Yes, they are very, vey nice.
Sue (Suebeedo) sent me a catalogue. I did not know they were French!
I was drooling for hours over their figueres ! cheers

Can anybody tell me a little about the history of the compagny?
It is so great to learn about the background of things study
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
baltimore zoo wrote:

Yes, they are very, vey nice.
Sue (Suebeedo) sent me a catalogue. I did not know they were French!
I was drooling for hours over their figueres ! cheers

Can anybody tell me a little about the history of the compagny?
It is so great to learn about the background of things study

...Papo is french company and I think Christoph will talk us about Papo,s history? Yes, Christoph? It,s very interesting because on today Papo is my lovely brand (even more lovely as "all-powerful" Schleich)... cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Sergey wrote:
.......Papo is french company and I think Christoph will talk us about Papo,s history? Yes, Christoph? It,s very interesting because on today Papo is my lovely brand (even more lovely as "all-powerful" Schleich)... cheers cheers cheers

Yes, yes, pleeeeease, Christoph ? bounce cheers flower I love you
Back to top Go down
Arrakai

Arrakai

Country/State : Ljungby - Sweden

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 am

Lovley new additions cheers

Sigh, the papo hippo is one of my favorit animals.... Still dont have it, but one day I will drunken
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:16 am

Compare the Papo Hippo #50051 and the Schleich Hippo #14132
and there's really no comparison! The Papo is the more detailed and realistic figure(as are most of the figures head to head)! However, I really do like the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders Hippo very much!
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:50 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
and there's really no comparison! The Papo is the more detailed and realistic figure(as are most of the figures head to head)! However, I really do like the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders Hippo very much!

...Yeah! They are both good-quality! Wink

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 5005110

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 312ffa10

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Uhuu, SCARY affraid

Laughing
flower
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:09 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Uhuu, SCARY affraid

Laughing
flower

Don't be scared Susanne!
I don't have cubs but this is my favo hippo...
My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear 50052
Papo in www.lilimay.com
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 6:04 pm

[quote="Roger"]
SUSANNE wrote:
Uhuu, SCARY affraid

Laughing
flower

Don't be scared Susanne!
I don't have cubs but this is my favo hippo...

...Yes! You are right, Roger! Wink Wink

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear Imag0111
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 10:46 pm

FYI, Sergey was nice enough to post the Papo and the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders hippos! : )
THANKS Sergey!
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 am

Arrakai wrote:
Sigh, the papo hippo is one of my favorit animals.... Still dont have it, but one day I will drunken
You'll not regret it! Wink

[quote="Sergey"]
baltimore zoo wrote:
and there's really no comparison! The Papo is the more detailed and realistic figure(as are most of the figures head to head)! However, I really do like the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders Hippo very much![/quote
Safari Wildlife Wonders Hippo looks the best, indeed, but it's scale is too large, unfortunately...

ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 pm

[quote="Kiryuha"]
Arrakai wrote:
You'll not regret it! Wink

Sergey wrote:
baltimore zoo wrote:
and there's really no comparison! The Papo is the more detailed and realistic figure(as are most of the figures head to head)! However, I really do like the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders Hippo very much![/quote
Safari Wildlife Wonders Hippo looks the best, indeed, but it's scale is too large, unfortunately...

Safari Wildlife Wonders product details are almost perfect. But SIZE is matter, especially the Siberian tiger & White Rhino are also very good pieces. Just wondering how come there did not introduces to the wild life series that could be actually benefit most peoples.
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Kiryuha "Safari Wildlife Wonders Hippo looks the best, indeed, but it's scale is too large, unfortunately..."

Well actually for the Wildlife Wonders series, yes, they are all a "large figure scale series"(as compared to the smaller figure series), however when placed all together(Wildlife Wonder series), the hippo should be much larger than it was made, as well as both of their elephants and white rhino figures.
If going by the smallest animals in "real life" from the WW series, the 2010 Orang and the 2009 Jaguar would be the smallest animals(male Orang can weigh between 250-300 lbs) and a male jaguar(150-250 lbs)
so going on those, the male gorilla and lions and tiger WW figs should be considerably larger then the orang and the jag since they are bigger than them in real life. However, the WW tiger and lions look good when displayed together, but the jag is just a little too large to be in the WW big cat display. The WW gorilla is 6" x 6" and the orang is 5" x 5" so they look o.k. when displayed together(I just don't consider the WW gorilla an adult silverback male weighing 500 or so pounds, I see him more as a subdominant male), of course if they did a male chimp or bonobo for the series it would have to be no larger than 3' x 3". So if the series were based off the orang, the hippo(since they weigh up to 6000 lbs) should have been 6 1/2" x 12" instead of the 5 1/2" x 9 1/2".
Maybe I'm too technical about some plastic animal figures, but I want the best and I have a hard time settling for imperfection! As stated before it's frustrating to me as a collector, because I don't understand the thinking of the model makers when designing the sizes for figure series!
Back to top Go down
aandmkw

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Beautiful additions. Congratulations on them. The hippo looks awesome in your display.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear   My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear Empty

Back to top Go down

My Papo newcomers: buffalo, hippo & brown bear
Page 1 of 1