Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Wild domestic horses topic

Go down 
+3
Ana
arafan
widukind
7 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

horses - The Wild domestic horses topic Empty
PostSubject: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:36 am

I am not a expert for horses because i collect wildlife animals (species and subspecies). And so i have in my zoo collection the przewalski horse as the last true wild horse.
But i know there exist also a few wild domestic horse species- and here i need your help. Because i think they are also interesting for me.

So my questions:

Which species of this kind of wild domestic horses you know ( i only know the Dülmener horses) and you know also brands who have produced this horses.  sunny  sunny  sunny

Many thanks for informations  sunny  sunny  sunny  sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 11:45 am

I think the mustangs and the Camargue horses are also wild-domestic, and i know that schleich have both species Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 12:03 pm

arafan wrote:
I think the mustangs and the Camargue horses are also wild-domestic, and i know that schleich have both species Very Happy

Thank you sunny sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Koniks, they live in the wild in Bialowierza forest, and Roztocze National Park, they resemble real tarpans. :)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :)

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Koniks, Dülmeners and the Mustangs might count as true feral breeds of domestic horse. In many other breeds, mostly among native ponies or small horses, there are also populations which are still raised semi-feral. Such breeds would include the Argentinian, Chilean and Brazilian Criollos, the Camargue horse, Assateague/Chincoteague ponies, the Dartmoor and Exmoor ponies, the Icelandic and Faroese horse, the Eriskay, a tiny population of the Gotland russ, the Sardinian(?), the Asturcon and (apparently) Galician, the Abaco barb, Losino, Sorraia and the Hucuł, the Yakut/Siberian, the Mongolian, Kirghiz, Vjatka and, apparently, at least the Misaki of the Japanese native breeds.

The above are the ones I could find with a quick look in my archives - but please don't take my word for gospel; the further Eastward we go, the less certain I become of the veracity of my info. Many of the East European smaller breeds not listed above are also raised semi-feral in tabun/taboon-type conditions, but their breeding and keep can be quite regulated nevertheless, so I'm not sure whether those ought to count. Many of those breeds have also undergone rigorous outcrossing with typically either Thoroughbred or draught blood in the Soviet era as means of "breed improvement", so their type may not have remained particularly native either.

I know Schleich have Camargues, Icelandics, Dartmoors, Mustangs and a Przewalski; Safari have done the Icelandic, Mustang, Chincoteague and Abaco barb; Bullyland have done Icelandics at least; CollectA have a splendid Dartmoor and some Mustangs; and Breyer have done numerous Assateagues, Mustangs and "Indian ponies", the Abaco, a Criollo and an Icelandic - and no Galician, but a related Galiceño.

Last edited by koniminiatures on Sat May 18, 2013 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 4:08 pm

It just occurred to me that I can't think of even one brand that has done a Brumby or Kaimanawa. Of course this may have something to do with these horses' extremely average looks - they have few, if any, defining features (though the same may be said for Mustangs, in practice it's the ones with visible Iberian features that tend to be portrayed in model form).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Many many thanks for this informations

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptySun May 19, 2013 11:52 am

Quote :
Koniks, Dülmeners and the Mustangs might count as true feral breeds of domestic horse. In many other breeds, mostly among native ponies or small horses, there are also populations which are still raised semi-feral. Such breeds would include the Argentinian, Chilean and Brazilian Criollos, the Camargue horse, Assateague/Chincoteague ponies, the Dartmoor and Exmoor ponies, the Icelandic and Faroese horse, the Eriskay, a tiny population of the Gotland russ, the Sardinian(?), the Asturcon and (apparently) Galician, the Abaco barb, Losino, Sorraia and the Hucuł, the Yakut/Siberian, the Mongolian, Kirghiz, Vjatka and, apparently, at least the Misaki of the Japanese native breeds.

Sorraia and Hucul would be great to see but I never seen figures of these breeds in any brand. Rolling Eyes
I knew many Huculs in real and they are ones of the most lovely creatures on Earth I love you However most of them are not kept "in the wild" until you call just spending whole days outside and living in a tabun a "wild", but they usually have fences so I think it's not a true wild scratch
Also, most of the Huculs I know are kept just like normal riding ponies in stables and riding clubs. And they are wonderfully intelligent and easy to teach. Wow, I almost feel tempted to sculpt one, one day. My friend from Poland takes care of two Hucul mares and she's teaching them very sweet things. I love you

Ok, I'm sorry for the off topic, can I share few pictures? Huculs are so dear little things I love you
Here my son an "tabun" of Huculs, well stallion is the one standing nearer the fence. Look at the ground, and these horses have no problems with hooves and legs even walking whole life on this kind of ground Shocked
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And it's me with 3 years old mare Wadera, my friend used to take this mare for a 1 hour forest walk (just walking next to her, not riding yet of course) few times a week, and Wadera loved it. Now, they already ride because photo was taken almost 2 years ago. You see eyes of this young horse and already so intelligent and not very silly.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sorraia from the other hand are very beautiful and I really wish to see one as a figure one day :)

Back to top Go down
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I may also add mesteno horses (mustang type).

And here in Russia we have our own unique population of feral horses. They live on an isle in the Rostovskiy National Park. Their ancestors were of the Russian Don breed. These population appeared in 1953, when the Nevinomysskiy channel was built. Because of the flood a small herd of horses was cut from the big ground and spent the winter on the isle alone. When the farmers came back for them in spring, the horses refused to go. And so these horses started the population.
The number of this herd used to be rather law, no more than half the hundred equines, but after the Rostovskiy Native Park was arrenged and the herd got a comfortable pond their population began to grow rapidly. By the 2006 the herd was sth like several hundreds and that turned out to be a tragedy- many horses died from hunger. Many of those survived crossed the Manich-Gudilo Lake in winter and went to Kalmykia where they still dwell today.
There are 150 horses in the Rostovskiy Native Park now and the local government do their best to control this number.

This is how they look.

https://www.omhps.com/User/Index/185ed076-cb84-45b5-8df1-ec600ba
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Many thanks again sunny sunny sunny

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Wow, Daria this is sooo interesting! "Mustangs" of Russia, that's amazing Very Happy They are very beautiful! cheers

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for all your input and to Daria:

Cyhyraeth wrote:
I may also add mesteno horses (mustang type).

A fantastic link - never knew these and most of the other breeds listed here existed.

Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes, our local mustangs))

Chris, oh, I may tell you lots of things about our national breeds. Even though I'm a fan of an American mustang and gaited breeds like ASB and TWH, I do appreciate some of our local breeds and get info on its history. Especially the Russian Don breed- it's fantastic, really. And it's very loyal.

https://www.omhps.com/User/Index/185ed076-cb84-45b5-8df1-ec600ba
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wild domestic horses topic   horses - The Wild domestic horses topic Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wild domestic horses topic
Page 1 of 1