Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn

Go down 
+26
bjarki12
TheLastStardust
sphyrna18
black unicorn
Carola
AlienMantis
Roger
lucky luke
Gulogulo76
Saarlooswolfhound
ken yeo
gogo1004
LeeAnn
Silver Unicornis
SeanieP
arafan
NightLioness
widukind
Sergey
Egbert
Melekh
donny ong
SUSANNE
bojan
Ana
Cyhyraeth
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I am completely neutral to fantasy figures whatever the brand is. For me none of the several unicorn interpretations is interesting and in my opinion, if Mojo wants to make an unicorn the elasmotherium is the best depiction of that creature. Very Happy
I hope it will open more doors to the brand and be successful commercially to support the introduction of more unusual species on wildlife range. I know all other brands have fantasy figures and that some horses of other brands are more fantasied than this one even they are not sold under Fantasy label.
But, here is my big problem with that figure, it is so beautiful as a horse, with an excelent and vibrant pose and full of personality that I think it is so good as a horse that it shouldn't be an unicorn. Very Happy
James, if you find one of them without a popcorn and send it to me I'll forgive you! Laughing

AlienMantis

Country/State : Slovenia

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Bucibuc! (cutieee)

But what does Deluxe mean?

And im also agains shoed (or geldet) unicorns. Is it a mare? or a stallion?

Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Gulogulo76 wrote:
I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually release a unicorn model based on the old medieval concept of a unicorn or basef on Peter S. Beagle's wonderful fantasy novel The Last Unicorn. "She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven hooved, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in shy, thin imitation, and goats in dancing mockery. Her ears were large and pointed, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was as fine as cirus and as soft as dandelion silk. She had tufts of fine hair on her ankles, and the single spiral horn on her brow shimmered and shone with its own seashell light."
Me too! That's my favourite interpretation of a unicorn.
Meredith Ann Pierece also had an interesting unicorns in her Firebringer Trilogy - a bit horse-like, but with cloven hooves, lion-like tail, with tufts on legs, and beards. They were are also very colourful, e.g. black and rose pinto Smile I used to be against non-white unicorns, but after I started reading this trilogy, I've changed my mind - but I still don't like when they have natural horse colours Razz

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 4:06 pm

donny ong wrote:
Such a gorgeous horse! But I think it would be better without the "corn", and presented as a breed of a horse.

I agree completely sunny 

black unicorn

black unicorn

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 5:47 pm

That's an absolutely lovely unicorn Applause Applause   (in fact one of the best I know among the toy brands).

I love it's pose and I don't mind it's horseshoes Wink 

Maybe the shadows are a little bit to dark, but why not have a dirty unicorn in the herd Wink(it will be a good companion for Schleich's black unicorn Very Happy )

...and Egbert, please feel free to make your black variation of this wonderful creature bounce bounce Laughing

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 6:49 pm

AlienMantis wrote:
Bucibuc! (cutieee)

But what does Deluxe mean?
Prices of figures are determined in accordance with their tag colors and regular prices go from the most inexpensive small, to medium, large and extralarge. All figures priced above extralarge are called Deluxe.

AlienMantis

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks,

So this will mean, that this unicorn will not fit along Schleich's cca 1:20?

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

AlienMantis wrote:
Thanks,

So this will mean, that this unicorn will not fit along Schleich's cca 1:20?
No, it is almost surely the same size of Mojo horses what is about 1:20 scale and consequently similar in size to Schleich. What it means, is that this unicorn will be more expensive than a Mojo horse, probably not as much as a Schleich unicorn but James can confirm it better.

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 pm

I think this is a very good step in a very important direction. I never collected Fantasy figures, but I never dismissed their significance, both in profits and to children. As a retailer I can vouche for how well they sell; few animal figures actually sell as well, and animal figures rarely command the same prices that fantasy figures do, so as a retailer of Mojo, I'm glad to see this new introduction for 2014. On a more personal note, though, I think it needs to be said that as important as it is for Mojo to produce new and interesting animal species, to further understanding of the natural world, and to promote conservation, so to is it important to produce figures that inspire fantasy, promote imaginative thinking, and reinforce shared cultural perceptions. Unfortunately, much about our world is not the way it ought to be; for many, it's harsh and cruel. But that's why there are dreams, and fantasies, and fairytales.

"Fairtyales don't teach children that monsters exist. They already know monsters exist. Fairytales teach children that the monsters can be killed." - C.K. Chesterton.

As always, James, a great looking figure. I can't wait to see it in person.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Sorry for the offtopic, but

Gulogulo76 wrote:
I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually release a unicorn model based on the old medieval concept of a unicorn or basef on Peter S. Beagle's wonderful fantasy novel The Last Unicorn. "She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven hooved, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in shy, thin imitation, and goats in dancing mockery. Her ears were large and pointed, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was as fine as cirus and as soft as dandelion silk. She had tufts of fine hair on her ankles, and the single spiral horn on her brow shimmered and shone with its own seashell light."
In fact, those 'tapestry unicorns' do exist as figurines. I've seen one by Mundia (photo provided by my friend Julia Usacheva, the biggest Russian unicorn collector)
New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 0_556a10
And there are also a number of artist figures, based on The Last Unicorn (the Movie). For ex. this one (sculptured by Viviana Dark)
New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 Zlewn710

TheLastStardust

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 am

I agree with Karin, The best unicorn i've seen so far! <33
His pose is very unicorn-ish I love his mane and his horn!!
I am totally gonna buy him when he's out!

And horseshoes?? Why not when it's fantasy at all? xD

http://stardust-at-dawn.deviantart.com/gallery/60947663/FigurePhotography
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for posting this! This is definitely the most realistic unicorn figure I've seen, and it looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing what Mojo does with fantasy animals in the future, too. Applause 

Quote :
a bit horse-like, but with cloven hooves, lion-like tail, with tufts on legs, and beards.
I had forgotten about this, but in the medieval bestiaries I've read, the unicorns are described as having cloven hooves. That's an interesting detail that I tend to forget.

Quote :
Oh and i have noted your request for the Takin
I would be thrilled to see a Takin! Very Happy And - funny that it should come up in this thread - I'm pretty sure that in The Natural History of the Unicorn, Chris Lavers cites the Takin as one of the animals that contributed to the unicorn legend, though I don't remember how exactly.

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 pm

bjarki12 wrote:

Quote :
I would be thrilled to see a Takin! Very Happy And - funny that it should come up in this thread - I'm pretty sure that in The Natural History of the Unicorn, Chris Lavers cites the Takin as one of the animals that contributed to the unicorn legend, though I don't remember how exactly.

I don't know if takin influenced legend of Unicorns, I thought  it had something to do with Narwhales. But takin is supposed to be inspiration for Golden Fleece legend (fleece of golden haired winged ram) in ancient Greek mythology  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Ana wrote:
bjarki12 wrote:

Quote :
I would be thrilled to see a Takin! Very Happy And - funny that it should come up in this thread - I'm pretty sure that in The Natural History of the Unicorn, Chris Lavers cites the Takin as one of the animals that contributed to the unicorn legend, though I don't remember how exactly.

I don't know if takin influenced legend of Unicorns, I thought  it had something to do with Narwhales. But takin is supposed to be inspiration for Golden Fleece legend (fleece of golden haired winged ram) in ancient Greek mythology  Very Happy
When I remember right, than is one of the origins for the unicorn the Gemsbok. Cause when you look at a Gemsbok from the side, you only see one corn :) http://www.sa-venues.com/wildlife/graphics/gemsbok-01.jpg
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Ana and Duck-Anch-Amun:

You're right that narwhals were much more influential than takins on the legend.  The old idea was that every animal in the ocean had a look-alike on land, so the fact that narwhals existed was "proof" that unicorns must have existed, too.  I recommend reading The Natural History of the Unicorn.  It talks about all of the different animals that contributed to the unicorn stories.  You're right: the author talks about the Gemsbok and the Narwhal both, but he also briefly mentions the Takin.  More often than any, he talks about the Indian rhino, the kiang, and the chiru, but there's a long list of others I don't remember.  He argues (at least at first) that the chiru and the kiang were probably the most influential.  On a stranger note, he even mentions the musk-ox and the wooly mammoth, since trade in fossil horns and tusks from Siberia seems to have helped the unicorn legends grow in the Middle-East.  It's a fun book, even if you're not so much interested in unicorns as you are in the history of exploration and zoology.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 am

Not to mention when ivory from narwhals was brought to shore by whalers (Sad ) some imaginations probably went a little crazy as to what this animal who wore that large of a spiral horn would have looked like... scratch Wink 

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:00 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Not to mention when ivory from narwhals was brought to shore by whalers (Sad ) some imaginations probably went a little crazy as to what this animal who wore that large of a spiral horn would have looked like... scratch Wink 
That is what I thought, too Very Happy 

Cyhyraeth wrote:
Sorry for the offtopic, but

In fact, those 'tapestry unicorns' do exist as figurines. I've seen one by Mundia (photo provided by my friend Julia Usacheva, the biggest Russian unicorn collector)
New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 0_556a10
OHHHH! They are just FABULOUS bounce I love you drunken 

Sartje

Sartje

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Great figure Very Happy

Schleich Count: 501
Papo Count: 20
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CreationsbySarieanne/
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Wow, I don't see that figure look's amazing I love you I love you 

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125764988@N04/
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
AlienMantis

AlienMantis

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5kXL-etkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Og2fOIkbA

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 pm

AlienMantis wrote:

GREAT "Walkarounds"  cheers Applause 

And beautyful models  Very Happy 
If only there were not those ugly, dark lines sprayed on  Sad 

Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 am

SUSANNE wrote:
AlienMantis wrote:

GREAT "Walkarounds"  cheers Applause 

And beautyful models  Very Happy 
If only there were not those ugly, dark  lines sprayed on  Sad 

Wow, they are quite beautiful! I love their faces  cyclops 

But I agree very much with Susanne, the sprayed shadows are unnecessary. The shape of the mold could easily do the job. If there should be shadows, keep them at a minimum. Here Schleich Shire Princess is nicely balanced I think, with the white coat and very little shadow.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 am

Carola wrote:

But I agree very much with Susanne, the sprayed shadows are unnecessary. The shape of the mold could easily do the job. If there should be shadows, keep them at a minimum. Here Schleich Shire Princess is nicely balanced I think, with the white coat and very little shadow.

Thanks, Carola ! Then I am not alone Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for links and no doubts these figures are wonderful. I also agree that shadows are not needed once sculpts look good enough, however, they don't disturb me at all. Very Happy
If the lack of shadows works in a shapeless body like Princess, it would work much better with these figures. Very Happy

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm

The painted on shadows are not a favorite of mine, and I agree the figures would look nice without. I think, if anything, they should be toned down quite a bit. The shadows won't be the one thing that stops me from buying them. cheers And now I think, the unicorn's pose reminds me of the Breyer Laredo.

PostSubject: Re: New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn   New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New for Mojo Fun 2014: Unicorn
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next