Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)

Go down 
+7
LeeAnn
Carola
Bloodrayne
Menphis
SUSANNE
Takama
Geospiza fortis
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) Empty
PostSubject: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 am

I have just bought a seal from a second hand store today and It has some white, dustlike, residue around the eyes and down all the other little 'cracks'. A female elephant, camel foal, and lion also have this problem. Does anyone else have this problem? I am really curious about how to get rid of this stuff. Could someone please tell me how please if anyone knows?  scratch
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 am

Hmmm Strange, scratch 

I was at a Walmart one time, and there was A whole lot of White stuff on a few of there figures. Could it be the same I wonder?

Also, I bought a Schleich Dinosaur and it had some white spots on it too that did not appear to be part of the figure, yet they wont come off with a simple washing.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:31 am

Yes ! I know it ! And it is almost impossible to get off  silent 

But I never saw it on new models ! Schleich should be told. It seems they could have a problem here  Shocked 

Menphis

Menphis

Country/State : spain

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

Hello
I believe it's a normal degradation of plastic with Atmosphear. I wash my guys one time per month with soft soap in a bit hot water.Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Menphis wrote:
Hello
I believe it's a normal degradation of plastic with Atmosphear. I wash my guys one time per month with soft soap in a bit hot water.Wink

I think not  scratch 

My models do not get washed, and usually this does not happen, not even to the very old ones.

An example here :
The dog to the left is much the oldest :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rolling Eyes 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Oh wow Susanne!  affraid 
Did this happen over time or was the dog like this when you purchased it?

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I know it sounds desgusting, but could it be some kind of fungus growth?

I once had some action figures stored in a cellar, and a day I took them out in daylight, some of the rubbery material parts of them were covered in something that looks exactly like that Susanne show on the dog.. I threw them out... quite a shame.. bye Agent 47 and Sephiroth...  Sad 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:49 pm

affraid affraid I've never seen this before!  Shocked Shocked 

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Yes, that is exactly it! I don't think its degradation of the plastic, as the outermost layer is still intact. I also realized that in my case, only the models made around 2006 or 8 have that stuff on it. None of my really old or really new animals have the dust.I tried to remove it from my seal with a toothpick, and so far that is working, but I need one with a fine tip as the one I'm using now is square. Water seems to do little to make it easier to remove.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm

I did some Googling and apparently it is the plasticizer coming to the surface. study 
Don't know what that means, but it can be fixed with heat.
Apparently if you hold your figures under a bright lamp for 20 to 30 minutes the warmth of the light should remove the frost.
You can also use a blow dryer.

Who is willing to experiment?  geek 

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

I got him this way from Ebay, thinking it was a colour variation.
At that time I did not know the "Clairet-sickness" which is infectuous, so this dog has been in a box with lots of others for years, and it does not infect, fortunately  pale 

Geospiza fortis : I think you are right. The few I have seen are from that time.
That is also why I am so surprised that it has appeared in a shop with new models  scratch 

Bloodrayne wrote:
I did some Googling and apparently it is the plasticizer coming to the surface. study 
Apparently if you hold your figures under a bright lamp for 20 to 30 minutes the warmth of the light should remove the frost.

I think I will try ! I used to have a squirrel with the same problem. I will try on him, if I can find the little fellow Wink

Menphis

Menphis

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 pm

You'll think, I'm crazy but I use hair spray with my animals. You can use it and tell me about that.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Menphis wrote:
You'll think, I'm crazy but I use hair spray with my animals. You can use it and tell me about that.

Welcome back  sunny 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Menphis

Menphis

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 pm

widukind wrote:
Menphis wrote:

Welcome back  sunny 

Thank youuuu lol! 

stef1000

Country/State : Haaksbergen, Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm

I have never had white stuff on my schleich animals. So I don't know what it is. scratch 

Stef
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
I got him this way from Ebay, thinking it was a colour variation.
At that time I did not know the "Clairet-sickness" which is infectuous, so this dog has been in a box with lots of others for years, and it does not infect, fortunately  pale 

Geospiza fortis : I think you are right. The few I have seen are from that time.
That is also why I am so surprised that it has appeared in a shop with new models  scratch 

Bloodrayne wrote:

I think I will try ! I used to have a squirrel with the same problem. I will try on him, if I can find the little fellow Wink
Good luck, to me this is frightening. I've had figures come to me that were played with in a hot tub and the soap scum was never properly washed off, therefore making it extremely hard to get it to come off. But in this case I don't think its the same thing.... Hope this problem can be figured out!  Smile 

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Didn´t know about this problem... So thank you for opening this topic...

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)   White dust on Schleich animals? (issue) Empty

Back to top Go down

White dust on Schleich animals? (issue)
Page 1 of 1