Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters  Empty
PostSubject: Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters    Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters  EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm

As we now have this new section for vintage non animal series as I requested, I thought I'd better start it off by posting something, and wanted to start with something which wasn't soldiers, so cartoon figures it is.

The first photo is my collection so far of 'Cococubs', devised as a complex advertising campaign by Cadbury's, with these figures made for them by Britains.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First, to get it out of the way, to mention and explain the Teddy Tails badge included in the photo. It was from an unrelated cartoon strip in the Daily Mail newspaper, 1915-39, for which the Pixyland Toy company made lead toy versions of at least the two main characters, which continued to be made when Pixyland was taken over by the Kew company in 1932. (Collectors generally refer to both companies as 'Pixyland/Kew'  because it is not know exactly who made what and when.) I don't have these figures - they are very rare - so just the badge it is then.

Cococub figures were free gifts, in little greaseproof paper envelopes, in tins of Cadbury's Bournville Cocoa Powder 1934-37, and the figures were made by Britains for them. This became such a big contract for Britains that they had to set up two temporary factories to make them, at Colne (Lancashire) and Liverpool. Considering this, it is perhaps surprising how valuable and collectable they are now - with a Cococubs collectors website. The expert is Dudley Chagnall, a nice bloke who I bought an item (Britains Farm, not Britains Cococubs) from a few years ago.
There was also a Cococubs Club, hence the badges, comic strips in various newspapers, magazines and children's comics, an annual in 1934 and a board game.
It was an early example of a 'pester power' marketing campaign, aimed at kids to pester their parents to buy their brand.

The second (and last for this post) is the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs set, was one of two sets made by Britains under licence from Walt Disney, 1938-40. S.W.+ 7D are rare enough, but the other set, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto and Clarabelle Cow are even rarer, and I don't have any.  Sad  I also don't have either of the versions of the Dwarfs' Cottage, supplied by Hugar (Hugh Gardener's toy buildings company) to Britains. The actual cottage is the same in both versions, but the de-lux cottage is on a large base with a stream and bridge - Dwarfs, Hi-Ho Song, for the use of.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters    Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters  EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Such fantastic old gems  Shocked 
Those little animals are so wonderful, just like the really, really old comics .

And you know so much about them, it is incredible  cheers 

So Cadbury has an old tradition for nice little models, - I am thinking of the yowies.

Uhh, the name Cadbury brings wonderful childhood memories !
I had an uncle who was a sailor, and sometimes when he came to visit, he would have Cadbury chocolate with him. There were chewy raisins and cruncy almond in it, Ohhhh, bliss  drunken 

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters    Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters  EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 am

Very nice figurijes, especially the Disney snow white figurines

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters    Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters  Empty

Back to top Go down

Vintage toy figures of cartoon characters
Page 1 of 1