Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold

Go down 
+3
LeeAnn
JonasV
A-J
7 posters
AuthorMessage
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold Empty
PostSubject: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptySun 02 Feb 2014, 11:53

Some time ago I got some (second hand) gesso powder and a few days ago I decided to do a little experiment.
My Idea was to make a one part mold, so I first sculpted a rabbit medallion.

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold Fba1ef03-4659-4490-8a76-c7e4493814ba_zps056b3724

The next part was making a small box to pour the gesso into. I used lego, keeping in mind that it can be demolished. However it didn't turned to be water proof, meaning it wouldn't be gesso proof so I filled the small gaps with super glue. So, the whole idea of using lego was a bit useless. (it was fake lego btw, that's maybe why it wasn't water proof).

After I varnished my little rabbit sculpt I covered it in a fatty wax (I don't know the correct english word...) so it could be easily removed from the gesso.

I mixed two parts gesso powder with one part water and poured it into the lego box. I had no idea how long it would take for the gesso to be hard. This was because the gesso was second hand and the instruction weren't included. It only said on the packaging that you needed one part water and two parts powder (it told me even more about what not to do with the gesso Razz). First I thought it didn't work at all and I let it rest for a few minutes. When I took a second look it was quite hard already, luckily it turned a bit softer when I exerted some pressure and I was able to push the rabbit medallion into the gesso before it was too late.

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold 23335891-d86b-46ed-934e-80fc976333fb_zpsd4ccaffd

Because I had now idea how long it would take before all the water was evaporated out of the gesso, I let it dry the whole night on the radiator. This morning it was quite hard already and after slamming it hard (but not too hard Wink) on a hard surface the rabbit came out unharmed.

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold B0ab2b57-9616-47b4-b3d2-f675793e5df1_zpsf0bb2309

Now I have a lovely 'anti-rabbit'. I'll let it dry for now and I think I'll varnish the mold too before I try to duplicate my rabbit medallion. I first have to find something to pour into the mold. I was thinking about using the rubber in a glue gun, as it is not really some sort of glue that's in such a gun but just melted rubber. I also want to see what happens if you mix one part glue (real glue this time) and two parts gesso, just out of curiosity  Very Happy .

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold D1eafafa-db0c-47ca-8768-ad2e4ee766b7_zps2a9b2dee

If anyone has tips or ideas, please tell me  rabbit

Last edited by A-J on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 23:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptySun 02 Feb 2014, 13:02

Aww cute little bunny bounce bounce cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptySun 02 Feb 2014, 16:16

jonesee wrote:
Aww cute little bunny bounce bounce cheers 
Thank you  Smile 

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptySun 02 Feb 2014, 20:33

Very cute! Congrats, I tried doing this with something I made and the results were not good Razz Looks like you were successful! Maybe you can try pouring liquid resin in the mold?

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptySun 02 Feb 2014, 20:51

This is so exiting  cheers 

I can't wait to see what happens next  bounce bounce Very Happy 

A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyMon 03 Feb 2014, 15:24

Thank you 4U and Susanne
@4U: It can still go wrong Razz. Liquid resin might work, but I don't think any shop nearby sells it, this  means I'd have to buy it online. As I'm working with simple materials and I don't really want to spent to much money (yet), I think I'll just try alternatives  Smile  .

Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyMon 03 Feb 2014, 23:16

I also want to see if it works! How interesting :)

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 08:09

Cute

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 18:31

Thank you Andreas and Sylobe flower

I've just tried the glue and gesso mix. Just the mix, I haven't poured it into my little mold, I first want to know what glue and gesso together does, maybe they explode and my whole mold will be destroyed  affraid Wink

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold 40524d33-7734-45e6-9068-f421f7ca0da5_zpsc536ece3
First I measured the two parts gesso, though I leave it in the small bucket. I will first pour the glue into the bucket where I will be mixing the two ingredients. When I put the gesso in the bucket first, I wont be able to see whenever I add enough glue. I can't measure the glue in another bucket, becuase I won's be able to get it all out of that bucket. I could've used a balance/scale though...

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1298_zps5fecfc40
Let's continue. Here I've added the gesso to the glue.
Here's a little close up:
Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1297_zps4247bade
At first I thought it didn't work, It looked like the gesso didn't want to attach to the glue, but after mixing a while...

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1300_zps82bf0eed
... it turned into a nice paste. While mixing, you could see the strokes I made with the skewer. But the funny thing was that it turned more solid af a few minutes (or more like after half a minute)
Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1299_zps8bde6ac9

Here's another close up picture. It looks quite nice; smooth and soft:
Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1301_zps330d3d0f

As I said above, I don't want to pour it into the rabbit mold yet, so I made a small bucket of aluminium foil.
Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1302_zps1f96fa80
I scoped the mixture out of the bucket and it easily 'dripped' into the little bucket.
Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1303_zps4c291c54
And it's full :) It had a smooth surface... before my curious fingers made ripples in it  Rolling Eyes

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold IMG_1304_zps9985cb62
It's now drying on our radiator  Smile 

I'm curious to see what happens, will it be hard, soft/rubbery or friable. Or maybe it doesn't it work at all...
Has anyone predictions?  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 18:36

A science experiment! Laughing

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 21:39

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
A science experiment! Laughing

cheers I do like science  Laughing 

the mixture of gesso and glue was quite strong and not fragile at all. The problem is that it needs to be exposed to air in order to dry and harden completely. Because only the surface was exposed to air, the other parts were still a kind of soft and sticky. I made a new mixture and put some of it on the edge of my gesso mold. I did the same with a glue gun, but both didn't work. They adhered to the gesso and I couldn't get it off without damaging the mold (the actual mold wasn't damaged, only the edge of it, which I don't need for casting).
So in the end I just poured the normal water and gesso mix into the mold. After letting it harden for about 24 hours I managed to get it out safely. Now I have two rabbits :cheers:The gesso one is still fragile, I will give it some more days to become more firm and then I'll give it a varnish treatment.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 22:36

Very Happy I can't wait to see the completed rabbits! Glad you could find out a solution.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 08:47

This is so much fun to follow  cheers 

Your experiments are very interesting ! I LOVE it !  Very Happy 
That must be the spirit that made humans go from cave people to computer people Wink 

NandO

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 09:40

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 
what will happen next !!! im curious
 bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 16:23

Thank you 4U, Susanne and NandO flower

I'll take some photos when I've made some more copies. The second one is currently drying. Very Happy
The shape of the rabbit can be used for all dwarf rabbit breeds and I plan to paint the copies like all those breeds  rabbit 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimenting with gesso - One part mold   Experimenting with gesso - One part mold Empty

Back to top Go down

Experimenting with gesso - One part mold
Page 1 of 1