Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insect toys from ?

Go down 
+2
DaveScriv
ButterflyChaser
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ButterflyChaser

Country/State : Minnesota

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 am

I used to collect insect toys as a child. A lot of them are worn out, but I may still try to repaint them.  But curiosity has me. I'm trying to locate them if I wanted to finish the collection. So far I can't find any info on the bugs I have.

I thought for sure they were from Safari's Hidden Kingdom, but I can't find any refrence. Anyways some clues:

- Insects were from around 1990-1999, maybe even up to 2005.
- medium size- about the size of my hands - Miniature versions also existed of the same molds.
- Series included: Praying mantis, bee (bumblebee shaped), queen ant, worker ant, ??? beetle? Others???
- Marked with T.M. and a circle. (could be Trademark, but I am hoping that might be a brand name.) May have a C.E printed on it. Year also included. Also a letter with a box, like a 'J'
- There were also life like beetles but instead of T.M, they had P.V.
- species printed on bottom
- These seemed really common around the time, at least in Wisconsin they were.
- Sets: 'Box of' Butterflies, caterpillars. The oldest ones had the colors stamped onto the wings. Later models seemed to be airbrushed with a reduction of quality. They also included stretchy versions, reptiles, snakes, animals, etc.
- sold in museum gift shops, education stores, a nature themed store in malls (can't remember the name. I think Nature's Nook?), and Accents (a craft store, not sure if they still exist. I know that one closed down years ago.)
- Had some kind of backyard theme or Hidden kingdom.

Photos.

Top:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Backsides:
Head on:

But the mantis, bee, dragonfly and ant are part of a series and for the life of me cannot find any info on the net, ebay, or wherever to give any sort of clue. That's why I am here, hoping that someone might remember these or have come across them in collecting other stuff. Hopefully someone might have an idea.

Example of butterfly (please click to get larger pic)
Example of beetle:

There are many other insects in my collection. I can post them here or in the collections board if anyone is interested or curious.
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BugFlowerArt
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 3:05 am

You might get more response if you post this again in the general section, sub-section 'what is this please?' or in the 'other modern companies' section.

By 'vintage', as regarding this section, we generally mean items made around or before the 1970s, sometimes many decades before then.

No problem with posting it here, but I'm just thinking the members who might know who made these insects, which you say are about 1990 at the earliest, perhaps never even look in the vintage section, in the same way that I, who only collect really old vintage stuff, seldom if ever look in the modern brands sections.

I see you're aged 30, and you'll see I'm aged 61. Our age differences may well account for differing ideas about what qualifies as 'vintage'  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 am

That is really wonderful stuff. cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  Is it right some are marked with PV in a circle? That is Playvisions, you can find this brand here in modern companies Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 4:07 am

Welcome here! Very Happy

PV stands for Play Visions, and TM stands for Toy Major, if that helps.

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 4:39 am

Thanks. If a moderator can kindly move it to the correct forum, that would be great. :)

I just looked up Toy Major, but I still can't find any info about the series I got these from. The miniature models seem to live on, though no longer painted realistically.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 5:14 am

Not much is known about TM, there isn't even much information on Toy Animal Wiki. Unfortunately. Sad

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 5:19 am

Welcome on forum! Very Happy I moved the topic to the correct section. Very Happy
4U is right as usual about the meaning of T.M. and PV. Very Happy
Tm also means trademark ™️ but this marking doesn't have dots. Toy Major figures are often marked with year. Very Happy
Safari Ltd figures are usually marked with the name of the brand. :)

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 7:45 am

I was only 12 when I got them and saving the tags was last on my mind. But darn it. Having them might have helped a lot.  I remember the tags on the praying mantis, bee and ant having something you unfold to read some fact about the insect. I think it also showed other figures in the series as a photo.
The butterflies were sold individually, though I did buy a whole set of butterflies once, in a circular package. The species were listed on the package adjacent to the figure, but I was more interested in opening up the box and using the butterflies as wall decorations at the time.

I'm just surprised how little information is about them. I thought they were so common, and there being a lot, people would have been bound to collect them.  But then again maybe it was one of those things too common, no one thought about them discontinuing. I know I sure didn't. If I knew, I might have tried to buy more. Either that or it might have just been the stores I was at. Maybe they were just popular in Wisconsin around the 1990's? Or the midwest and nowhere else?

About Safari, LTD I remember their earliest insect toob collection did not have their name printed on them. Just really horribly molded and painted cheap looking things. Generic "Made in China."  I guess they still use the molds today, but fortunately they usually have a better paint job and are marked.  I remember those becoming more common. it seems the Safari toobs have taken over all the insect designs, at least locally and in the U.S.  Makes me sad because I don't like them. The Toy Major bugs seemed better done and nicer painted. At least as far as insect toys that can be found today locally.

--

That said, I'm glad to get the beetles sorted out:

Play Visions Goliath Beetle (Goliathus sp.) - left
Play Visions Macrodontia cervicornis - right

Kills me though because I had the South African Longhorn Beetle or at least a longhorn beetle. I remember mine as being white and black spotted or striped. I also had the one that was orange, black and colored with blue/green iridescent wings.  But Those got left behind when I moved away from my parents. Those two were not among the ones that my sister brought back last Thanksgiving.

you have my permission to crop and use those as photo examples of the toy.
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

Insect toys from ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insect toys from ?   Insect toys from ? EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 4:46 pm

I have had similar bugs and they are labeled as T.M. 1996. Around the same time and quality as PlayVisions? For some odd reason I've felt as if those two had a connection.... Perhaps molds or material or something.... Maybe competition? I don't know. Don't take my silly words for it. Wink

Edit: Silly me didn't see what LeeAnn said. Yes those are Toy Major, not "trademarked" and yes there is info on the net, thankfully. cheers

Not hard to look for though. study

Here you go.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde