Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vintage rural/village buildings

Go down 
+2
widukind
DaveScriv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Vintage rural/village buildings Empty
PostSubject: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I have several of these, not strictly animal related (such as a stable or pig sty), but originally part of farm/village series.

First, a very nice church, probably made circa 1930 by Peacock & Co

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The three gents standing outside, no doubt engaged in deep theological debate, are (left to right):

1) Britains 'Country Clergyman'
2) Britains 'Village Curate', often called 'the thin vicar' by collectors. A rare and expensive item, only made 1927-41.
3) John Hill & Co Vicar. A relatively common & cheap item, but I have seen it for sale on eBay described at the Britains Curate, with a high price tag. I suppose one has to be charitable and assume the sellers really didn't know.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Now for three buildings related to the arable/cereal growing sector of farming, which in terms of toy/model animal collecting would obviously serve as going with horse drawn carts, ploughs, etc.

First a windmill, probably made by Peacock & Co in the 1930s.
John Hill & Co made a Miller & assistant carrying a sack to go with it.
Its size is in reasonable proportion (as toy buildings go) for 1:32 figures, and certainly a vast improvement on the few tiny (1:100 scale?) lead windmills made by a few companies.
The Amersham Toy Co. also made a nice big wooden windmill, but I don't have one.

Now a granary (grain store building), which were traditionally raised up to prevent rats getting in.

Now a building which I've taken as being a miller's (rather than a farmer's) barn/store, with loft above for rat proof grain/flour storage.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Very nice old buildings!!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 12:01 am

All these old buildings are delightful Dave. They certainly would have been integrated into a farm environment by a child lucky enough to have them.

Thanks for the images and the information.

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 12:54 am

Very nice again!

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 am

Wonderful! Surprised cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Another village building, this time a pub/garage combo. probably made about 1930, probably by Peacock & Co. Back in 1930 there were still relatively few cars on the road, not enough to keep a filling station in business in small villages, so petrol was sold as a secondary activity by local pubs, shops or blacksmiths (many of which saw the way things were going, and switched from shoeing horses to repairing cars).

The figures in the photo are:

Innkeeper and seated milkmaid & stool by John Hill Co.
Country Yokel type person with beer tankard by Pixyland/Kew (There is also a seated beer drinker, which I don't have - both are rare & expensive.)
Dog: Not sure if UK made by Pixyland/Kew or German made by Georg Heyde.
Petrol Pump: Britains
Oil Cabinet: Taylor & Barrett.

Last edited by DaveScriv on Thu May 01, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyThu May 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Looks so good! Like them all so much, but this one is my favorite. The dog looks also realistic and the whole building is like a real. Thank you Smile sunny 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyFri May 02, 2014 1:01 am

Haha, wonderfull! Think of this combination today... Only drive when drunk, haha.! drunken 

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

That's is religiously wonderful! Laughing
These buildings, would hardly work convincent in Portugal once both church and windmill are completely different from Portuguese rural buildings, though I just love htem. Very Happy
Do you have any idea if these buildings followed a real building, for example the church? Is it an identifiable kind of little rural church of England?
Thanks for sharing! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyWed May 07, 2014 10:24 pm

I have no idea whether they were based on any real buildings in particular - all are typical of their types in English countryside.
It would only be possible to discover if any of them were based on specific buildings after it is discovered for sure who designed and made them, and where they lived - and then see if any of these buildings are still there now (the church would be, but questionable about the others).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyFri May 09, 2014 2:38 am

DaveScriv wrote:
I have no idea whether they were based on any real buildings in particular - all are typical of their types in English countryside.
It would only be possible to discover if any of them were based on specific buildings after it is discovered for sure who designed and made them, and where they lived - and then see if any of these buildings are still there now (the church would be, but questionable about the others).

Thanks for your answer Dave, it would result in a very hard exercise. :)

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings EmptyFri May 09, 2014 7:49 am

Roger wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:

Thanks for your answer Dave, it would result in a very hard exercise. :)

If you see my latest post in the zoo enclosures thread, you'll see an example of a toy which is probably based on a real building, plus Tri-ang made a series of castles based on real ones. Generally though, I imagine designers took inspiration from illustrations in books and picture postcards at the time, both photo of real places and artist drawn (idealised versions of real places or completely fictional). Plus, remember toy buildings are always very simplified and cut down, as true 1:32 models of even quite modest buildings would be far too big for toys. This is one reason why I'm more interested in toy farm buildings than the others - a toy pig sty can be more realistic than a toy castle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage rural/village buildings   Vintage rural/village buildings Empty

Back to top Go down

Vintage rural/village buildings
Page 1 of 1