Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.

Go down 
+4
widukind
JonasV
SUSANNE
blackdanter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
blackdanter

blackdanter

Country/State : East Sussex, UK

HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. Empty
PostSubject: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Morning folks. Here's a reference thread dealing with HG Sega Vinyl Prize Dinosaur figures. This is an expanded version of the thread previously posted on DTF in 2010.

HG Sega Prize Dinosaurs.

Issue Format: Basic set. Ongoing Re Issue.
Production Status: Discontinued. Issued 2003 - 2014.
Availabilty: Individual figures are variable. Discontinued.
Value: Individual figures: £20 - £100+. Dependent on market, projected value is holding/rising.
Sources: Ebay or Japanese auction sites.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In 2003 Sega issued the first in a series of large sized vinyl dinosaur figures, known amongst collectors as Sega Prize Dinosaurs. They have been issued exclusively in Japan and are only available from grabber style arcade machines known as UFO Catcher machines. This method of issue makes them quite hard to find anywhere other than in Japan or via dealers in Japanese merchandise elsewhere in the world. Certain figures have been re issued in different paint schemes over the years and two figures in the series, Amargasaurus and Stegosaurus, have been issued once only and have not been re issued since which makes them highly sought after amongst collectors and rather expensive when found for sale. When the figures are re issued they tend to be easily available via Japanese auction sites for a short while although prices are highly variable which is probably dependant on how much the seller has spent in obtaining the figure from the grabber machines. The two 2014 repaints of the 2nd version Rex and Triceratops are currently readily available from such sources and prices vary from as little as £5 - £15. Generally speaking, the re issued figures are available elsewhere at around £25 but those prices will not last for long as the figures are already discontinued again in Japan.

The sculptors responsible for these figures are Hirokazu Tokugawa and Shinzen Takeuchi.

The figures were issued primarily under the title of The Great Dinosaur however, the 2007 issued figures were issued under the Dinosaur King banner.

The figures issued to date are:

1st version Tyrannosaurus - 3 paint variants.
Triceratops - 5 paint variants.
2nd version Tyrannosaurus - 2 paint variants.
Stegosaurus - 1 paint version.
Amargasaurus - 1 paint version.

Current value for mint figures is as follows:

1st version Tyrannosaurus - £25 - £40.
Triceratops - £25 - £40.
Triceratops 2014 - £10 - £25.
2nd version Tyrannosaurus 2007 - £40 - £60.
2nd version Tyrannosaurus 2014 - £10 - £25.
Stegosaurus - £40 - £60.
Amargasaurus - £100+.

HG Sega Prize Dinosaurs.

Here are the figures in my collection. I have an additional blue variant Triceratops which I'm unable to add photographs of at present. I do not have the fourth 2007 Dinosaur King paint variant of the Triceratops which was issued with the revised Tyrannosaurus sculpt.

Tyrannosaurus Rex - 2003 (1st paint version).
Sculpt: Hirokazu Tokugawa.

The Great Dinosaur - Tyrannosaurus Rex - 2004 (2nd paint version).

The Great Dinosaur - Tyrannosaurus Rex - 2004 (3rd paint version).

The Great Dinosaur - Triceratops - 2004 (1st paint version).

The Great Dinosaur - Triceratops - 2004 (2nd paint version).

The Great Dinosaur - Triceratops - 2014 (5th paint version).

Vol 2 - Dinosaur King - Tyrannosaurus Rex - 2007 (1st paint version).
This model replaced the original Rex figure.
Sculpt: Shinzen Takeuchi.

The Great Dinosaur - Tyrannosaurus Rex - 2014 (2nd paint version).
Sculpt: Shinzen Takeuchi.

Vol 2 - Dinosaur King - Stegosaurus - 2007 (only known paint version).

Vol 2 - Dinosaur King - Amargasaurus - 2007 (only known paint version).

Big dinosaurs then .................... Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

WOW ! Big and beautyful cheers

Thankyou for pictures and information ! I have never even heard of these huge ones before Applause

JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:14 pm

So cool! Shocked Shocked I can imagine me being a dino collector and wanting them all... drunken drunken Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Very nice and interesting :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Very good presentation and very decent figures. Actually I like them all and they seem very serious works. Very Happy T-Rexes versions are quite different but very good in some aspects, very expressive triceratops and wonderful stego! cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 am

Great topic again Blackdanter. I remember I missed a few years ago the first version triceratops. It was sold for a couple of bucks... Silly me What a Face
Back to top Go down
blackdanter

blackdanter

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Roger wrote:
Very good presentation and very decent figures. Actually I like them all and they seem very serious works. Very Happy T-Rexes versions are quite different but very good in some aspects, very expressive triceratops and wonderful stego! cheers

Thanks Roger. Very Happy It's quite remarkable that these were intended as toys and issued as prizes in arcade gaming machines!
Back to top Go down
blackdanter

blackdanter

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Great topic again Blackdanter. I remember I missed a few years ago the first version triceratops. It was sold for a couple of bucks... Silly me What a Face

Thanks. Very Happy At least the two repaints can be found quite cheaply at the moment but that price on the original Triceratops would have been a bargain!
Back to top Go down
blackdanter

blackdanter

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:09 pm

jonesee wrote:
So cool! Shocked Shocked I can imagine me being a dino collector and wanting them all... drunken drunken Very Happy

Hmmn, you have a good idea of what its like to be me then! Smile
Back to top Go down
DinoLord

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Great thread. The second version of the Tokugawa T. rex still eludes me though. :/
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Shinzen Takeuchi's sculpt of the 2nd T Rex in 2007 is in my opinion the best Tyrannosaurus figure ever made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.   HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs. Empty

Back to top Go down

HG Sega - Large Vinyl Prize Dinosaurs.
Page 1 of 1